Birmingham Royal Ballet 2020-21 Season

18 hours ago, toursenlair said:

I would just like to point out that both Scholz's Beethoven's 9th and Kylian's Forgotten Land are beautiful ballets.

Calling Theme and Variations "scraping the barrel" leaves me speechless. But to each her own.

I love Beethoven's 7th symphony but not being a ballet expert, hadn't realised someone had done a ballet to it.  In that case I'm definitely going to have to see the mixed programme when it comes to Sadlers Wells.  I'm a bit ambivalent about some of the rest but let's see how it works out. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blossom said:

I think there’s lots here to be excited about, living in London, I am pleased that there will be visits in June and October with mixed bills as well as bringing Macmillan’s Romeo and Juliet more affordably to a London. For me, this means my daughter will get to see it for the first time, as, I am sure, will many other Londoners. Hopefully the Acosta name will draw people in to give ballet a go and actually, I think a good mixed bill is a great way to get people engaged. R&J and Cinderella around the country give enough balance for those who prefer story ballets or want to see the classics.

On that note, a little disappointed not to get Cinderella in London, prefer Bintley’s to Wheeldon’s offering shared by ENB in the summer. Hope it’s part of the summer 2021 programme at the ROH.

Some of us around the country would like to see mixed programmes too!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Some of us around the country would like to see mixed programmes too!

I am sure you do! I suppose we get the mixed bills to differentiate from what is already on here but I really believe BRB has a huge and separate role to play in democratising ballet as Sadlers is so much more affordable and has mostly clear sight lines across the theatre. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blossom said:

I am sure you do! I suppose we get the mixed bills to differentiate from what is already on here but I really believe BRB has a huge and separate role to play in democratising ballet as Sadlers is so much more affordable and has mostly clear sight lines across the theatre. 

I hope Carlos Acosta is not going to differentiate between the offerings in London and the rest of the UK, including the company's home base in Birmingham.  The June mixed programme is only scheduled for London and not everyone is in a position to travel there. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, alison said:

That does tend to be what ENB does, after all.

I know but at least ENB is based in London!

Just thinking about it ... if they think mixed programmes don't sell in their home city why not do as Northern Ballet have been doing for the last couple of years and have mixed programmes in a smaller theatre such as the Patrick Centre or even the Crescent?  That would satisfy the audiences that want more than full-length story ballets, could be an opportunity for new choreographers and preserve the smaller scale heritage works.  Goodness me ... they could even reintroduce a proper midscale programme such as the ones they enjoyed great success with in their Arts Council targeted areas of Truro, Cheltenham, Durham and York!  I await details of the 20/21 midscale with interest.

• Like 7

On 07/02/2020 at 16:28, Jan McNulty said:

Additionally, there will be a tour in May 2021 which will include Jorge Crecis’ Ten, originally created for Acosta Danza, and a new commission to be announced shortly, bridging a gap for Ballet provision in smaller towns and cities in the UK.

I don't want to be so relentlessly negative, but I can see myself giving this a miss regardless of what the new commission is or where it tours to... unless of course there's a really good third ballet.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2020 at 16:53, Darlex said:

At least they are showing Dante Sonata at the Linbury this season. Doesn't look so good for next season. 

All I have to say:  Thank goodness for Sarasota Ballet and Mr& Mrs Iain Webb...not just in their regular season but in an upcoming tour to NY’s Joyce Theater, August 18-23, 2020, in which the troupe will present an all-Ashton Triple bill consisting of Birthday Offering, Dante Sonata and Varii Capricci. How cool is that?

www.joyce.org

• Like 10

42 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

All I have to say:  Thank goodness for Sarasota Ballet and Mr& Mrs Iain Webb...not just in their regular season but in an upcoming tour to NY’s Joyce Theater, August 18-23, 2020, in which the troupe will present an all-Ashton Triple bill consisting of Birthday Offering, Dante Sonata and Varii Capricci. How cool is that?

www.joyce.org

I've just gone a funny shade of green!!!

• Like 9

I share Janet's disquiet, expressed in an earlier post, at what may be the start of a different offer for London to the home base of Birmingham.  I am already disappointed that there are two interesting programmes  ( I am including the collaboration with Ferri here) which unless I travel to London, I am denied seeing. Much as I support the statement made by Carlos Acosta regarding an outreach programme that forges new partnerships etc., there is so much richness in the legacy of BRB that if presented in new and imaginative ways, these ballets can speak to new and younger audiences about today's world and provide examples of exquisite choreography. I really hope that our fears are proved wrong.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

I share Janet's disquiet, expressed in an earlier post, at what may be the start of a different offer for London to the home base of Birmingham.  I am already disappointed that there are two interesting programmes  ( I am including the collaboration with Ferri here) which unless I travel to London, I am denied seeing. Much as I support the statement made by Carlos Acosta regarding an outreach programme that forges new partnerships etc., there is so much richness in the legacy of BRB that if presented in new and imaginative ways, these ballets can speak to new and younger audiences about today's world and provide examples of exquisite choreography. I really hope that our fears are proved wrong.

Hear, hear!

The Triple Bill with Scholz and Kylian will be a feast for music lovers, with Beethoven's 7th Symphony and the beautiful Sinfonia da Requiem by Britten.

Scholz's ballet was made in 1991, Kylian's in 1981, both were created for Stuttgart Ballet. They may be new to England, but on the continent and in the rest of the world, many companies have danced them.

The 7th Symphony is pure neoclassical dance on pointe, here's a short trailer from Les Grand Ballets Canadiens

and a trailer for "Forgotten Land" by The Ballet on the Rhine from Düsseldorf:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Pleasantly surprised to see a brief slot featuring Carlos Acosta interviewed by Will Gompertz appeared on BBC 6pm news yesterday talking about his aspirations for BRB. The power of stardom! 

And, if Carlos can 'milk' his stardom to the full to the benefit of BRB, that will be great for the company, for us and for new audiences.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Angela said:

The Triple Bill with Scholz and Kylian will be a feast for music lovers, with Beethoven's 7th Symphony and the beautiful Sinfonia da Requiem by Britten.

Scholz's ballet was made in 1991, Kylian's in 1981, both were created for Stuttgart Ballet. They may be new to England, but on the continent and in the rest of the world, many companies have danced them.

Thanks Angela.  I'm really looking forward to this programme!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

And, if Carlos can 'milk' his stardom to the full to the benefit of BRB, that will be great for the company, for us and for new audiences.

I agree wholeheartedly.  The London critics may even deign to visit the Hippodrome.

However, I was not surprised that Carlos is already signalling that money will be an issue.

• Like 1