Motomum

Swan Lake - Birmingham Royal Ballet - on tour Spring 2020

Thanks Shade, that’s what I was trying to say. I will still go and enjoy it as I like Celine Gittens very much, especially her partnership with Brandon Lawrence. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sim said:

I have therefore spent a shedload of money that I couldn't really spare on nice tickets and train fares to Birmingham especially to see them since they haven't danced together much in the past year or two.  Now Delia is replaced by Celine Gittens, with no explanation at all, save 'change to previously announced casting'.  No apology, no explanation, nothing.  That is very poor.  They really need to sort their casting information/communication out at that company. 

Both ballerinas are (or were, when I looked yesterday) still shown as dancing, which is what was so odd.  Not that I expect to be told the ins and outs of these things, and injuries, illness and indisposition obviously happen, but the courtesy of a notification would have been nice, rather than having it hidden away in the casting information.  Sim, presumably you can't get to the Tuesday "relaxed" matinee?  I think they were still shown as dancing that one.

• Like 1

I agree some communication is just being polite to paying customers. 

The other night when I went to see Onegin Kevin O Hare himself came out before the performance to tell us about the cast change even though it had also been sent out by email.

We all appreciate dancers can be injured at the very last minute so it's not always possible to give much notice but I see no harm at all in saying something like Unfortunately X has sustained an injury ( or X is unwell) and cannot dance this evening ets etc.

O Hare in his announcement was very complimentary about Nunez agreeing to dance the performance and that she and Bolle  had danced to acclaim etc in this ballet.....so definitely no insult to replacement dancers. 

It may not always be possible for the Director him/herself to be able to announce this but these are nice touches by the Royal Ballet and I think especially in very last minute replacements there could be somebody else designated to do this if the Director can't etc. 

Companies do need to appreciate that of course we love all the dancers but we do have our favourites and may be prepared to spend more money to see them and luckily there is usually quite a large number of dancers who are favourites!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sim said:

I am really, really disappointed about this.  Brandon Lawrence and Delia Mathews were scheduled to dance this together  as they didn't get a performance in S'ton.  I have therefore spent a shedload of money that I couldn't really spare on nice tickets and train fares to Birmingham especially to see them since they haven't danced together much in the past year or two.  Now Delia is replaced by Celine Gittens, with no explanation at all, save 'change to previously announced casting'.  No apology, no explanation, nothing.  That is very poor.  They really need to sort their casting information/communication out at that company. 

At tonight’s gala, the pas de deux from Far From the Madding Crowd due to be danced by Tyrone & Delia was substituted with a pdd from Cinderella rehearsed with only 2 days notice and danced by Tyrone & either Miki or Momoko due to Delia being injured. Hope this sheds some light on the cast changes. 

• Like 1

At the ROH, in the old days before computers, social media and any kind of advance information, you didn’t know about a cast change until just before curtain-up, when the announcement quaintly said “so-and-so is indisposed...”.  I guess that covered every reason!  

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

At the ROH, in the old days before computers, social media and any kind of advance information, you didn’t know about a cast change until just before curtain-up, when the announcement quaintly said “so-and-so is indisposed...”.  I guess that covered every reason!  

Yes, I well remember the occasion when someone came out front of curtain to announce that Sibley and Dowell (I think) would not be dancing "EEEEEEEEEEr moan, sigh!" and their places would be taken by Rudolf Nureyev and......... (name drowned in cheers and clapping).

• Like 7

20 hours ago, capybara said:

Yes, I well remember the occasion when someone came out front of curtain to announce that Sibley and Dowell (I think) would not be dancing "EEEEEEEEEEr moan, sigh!" and their places would be taken by Rudolf Nureyev and......... (name drowned in cheers and clapping).

Those were the days, Capybara!

• Like 1