National Ballet of Canada at The Kennedy Center

Mrs Lilian Hochhauser will enrich our ballet summer again!

The National Ballet of Canada    ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

Tuesday 28 July - Saturday 1 August 2020

Rudolf Nureyev’s   THE SLEEPING BEAUTY

https://www.victorhochhauser.co.uk/page/repertoires.php

General booking opens 15 April 2020

Edited by Amelia
The last line added.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, capybara said:

Geoff they're at the ROH at the end of July this year! I'm sure there's  something about this on another thread.

Of course, silly me. This went out of my head as I won't be in the UK then, lucky those who will be there!

Oh, Canada has delivered. Balletomanes in London are truly in for a treat next summer with this magnificently-luxurious and impeccably performed Sleeping Beauty. I caught last night’s repeat starring first-cast Heather Ogden and Harrison James.

Oozing charm as well as technique - oh those balances and multiple pirouettes! - Ogden performed as Washingtonians have long known, from her years as a guest artist with the Suzanne Farrell Ballet. Ogden is a true gem of a ballerina. The big surprise was the aplomb and razor-sharp technique of James’ essaying of Nureyev’s five (5!) ultra-difficult solos for Prince Florimund. Bravo!

Kudos, too, to gracious Hannah Fischer as the lady who dances what’s normally the Lilac Fairy variation; Miyoko Koyasu and Siphesihle November as the most charismatic Pussycats to tread a stage; and the ravishing Elena Lobsanova and Naoya Ebe in the Bluebird pdd. The corps de ballet acquitted itself extraordinarily.

Rudolf Nureyev must be smiling from a special place, seeing the luscious  production restored and this company, which he championed for so long, performing so well! Perhaps one small caveat would be also my one complaint: the stately Sarabande that normally opens the final act (and is led by the monarchs and Sr courtiers) was cut. Hopefully it will be restored for London.

Not-to-be-missed luxurious visuals seldom seen on any balletic stage nowadays, coupled with high-level classical dancing — the Canadian troupe’s Sleeping Beauty is one for the ages!

Davis Briskin led the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra.

• Like 9

An additional thought occurred:

Imagine seeing a richly-decorated classical full-evening work that has nary a projection. Yes, it has some lovely mood lighting that varies with each scene but all of the design elements are solid and real. Real staircase, real palace walls, real foliage, etc. The old-fashioned way.

Edited by Jeannette