Only in the UK...........

Jan McNulty

I love the fact that we are mad enough to spend hours trying to "calm" a frightened small creature and take care of it and I am proud to be English and of our totally mad country too :lol: This is the real face of Britain, not those awful riots in August, 2011.

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 3

Great story. I do think we can still be classed as a nation of "animal lovers" though sadly I think not as much as we were. As a dog owner I find it very sad when parents pull children away, not because of fright, but "dirty creatures".

I worry about hedgehogs when my dogs plough through leaves. My dogs are big and probably stupid enough to investigate a hedgehog.lol

• Like 1

Our labrador Amy went charging into my poor husband in pursuit of pheasant this morning (not that she allowed them, or to chase them) and her hard, heavy skull went into the side of his calf. He is now badly bruised and limping :( ( and he never makes a fuss.)

I love to watch a mother duck take her brood across a road. Instead of stringing out behind her, as per usual, they bunch up and hurry those little feet. Then when they reach the other side, they string out again.

I knew a man once - a billionaire (you would recognize the name) - upon who's property lived a family of ducks. He watched them one morning as they were crossing a busy road on his property - the smallest duckling was obviously not able to keep up and would be crossing the road alone.

Mr. $$$ picked up the tiny duckling and so we had ....first in line: Mama Duck, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, and then Mr. $$$ holding the tiniest....bringing up the rear,

This veteran of many hard fought high stakes money wars was not ashamed to be last in line.

• Like 4

we have plenty of mad pheasants around here but worse are deer. And you definately need to avoid hitting those - its the car that usually comes off worst from a collision. I've been ok so far but know several people with badly damaged cars and the deer just walks off unharmed. Ducks are also a common sight in our road - especially in the spring when they eat all the purple crocus. Oh and the maddest pheasants are those that get very territorial - a few years back the poor postie used to get attacked every morning. It would charge at him, or the van if he was in his van, repeatedly charging and pecking the poor man until eventually one morning the pheasant took on a tractor as a challenge to 'his road' and was flattened.

Fiz - hope your husband recovers soon.

• Like 2

Well I never - my esteemed :angry: Member of Parliament has really done it this time...

What on Earth is Nadine Dorries doing? Reports today suggest that she's due to take part in "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" and has already flown out to Australia.

Judging by the presence of BBC tv cameras and an outside broadcast van outside our local Conservative party headquarters this afternoon the story is quite probably true.

Message to Nadine - either get your backside back in the House of Commons and represent your constituents like you're supposed to (and being paid for) - or stay in Australia and don't bother coming back!

• Like 5

I think it is incredible if true. How is she serving her constitiuents? Hasn't another MP done it or said they were going to? Also is this really what an MP should do? How is this helpinh her provide a decent service. Maybe its all a mistake but a grave error if true.

Lembit Opik and George Galloway have been on shows of this type but neither was a serving MP at the time. She is not serving her consituents at all, simply making herself shedloads of cash whilst the poor devils that voted for her aren't getting represented. I hope she's sacked for turning the office of MP into a laughing stock.

• Like 2

The view from Mid Beds: The camera crews can't find anyone who wants to say a good word about her!

My own view is that she doesn't appear to be taking the role of MP all that seriously.

She was going to lose her seat anyway.

I think this is a publicity stunt arranged deliberately to get up the noses of the Government who are busily rearranging constituency boundaries to abolish her Mid-Bedfordshire seat.

• Like 1

She was absent, I was there! (one of the local councillors kindly stepped into the breach and laid the wreath on her behalf).

The whole town is livid - she'll never get re-elected, not in a million years.

Note to Nadine - another tv show for you to try on your return:

POINTLESS CELEBRITIES

and another:

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

• Like 2

She certainly seems to have a knack for controversy!

It would be nice if she would actually get her head down and do some actual work representing her constituents now - since that was what she was elected for!

She seems to have forgotten that Mid Bedfordshire is a 'safe' Tory seat, and that it wasn't her specifically that people voted for, they just voted Conservative out of habit.

• Like 1

DD started a new school in September, and today brought home her first progress report.

Pleased though I was on reading it, and looking at what they think her predicted GCSE grades will be a couple of years hence, I said that it would be nice if she could work on a couple of the marks and see if she could make them higher.

"Well," she said, "they've given me a B for Chemistry and we haven't even done that subject yet!"

And they say standards are improving....! :D

(edited for spelling - obviously not my best subject!!!)

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Yes, some of the GCSE predictions do seem strange- my Year 9 teacher told me that I would fairly easily get an A* in English (I don't think any of my essays for him ever catastrophically failed, unlike my latest one....), however when I started at a new school for year 10, I was informed that my target grade is a B! When I enquired, I was told that the target grades for GCSE's are calculated on the basis of the Year 6 SAT's scores- errr, they were 3 years ago?! :huh:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...