RBS JAs 2020

BellaF

Photos done today and application almost ready to go in!

Unfortunately my DD is in a performance the night before one of the Birmingham (our closest centre) dates so, wanting her to be fresh for the audition, looking for the next best option. Given the choice would you go for Leeds, Manchester or London, or does it really not matter?

9 minutes ago, BellaF said:

Photos done today and application almost ready to go in!

Unfortunately my DD is in a performance the night before one of the Birmingham (our closest centre) dates so, wanting her to be fresh for the audition, looking for the next best option. Given the choice would you go for Leeds, Manchester or London, or does it really not matter?

Wow, nice and early. I like that. My DD is signed up for the London insight day in a couple of weeks so we are waiting to see how that goes/if she likes it. Her brother is a yr5 JA so we travel there anyway - I really doubt it’ll happen but it’d be lovely if she could join him. 

I don’t think it matters really. If your DD is performing the night before and it’s likely to be a late evening then maybe go for the centre that is closest to where you’ll be so she could get a good rest? I believe you can audition at one centre for a place at another if you contact them but I’m not 100% certain (hopefully someone will come along that knows more on that). That said, I bet the excitement would be enough to keep her eager/performing well even on not so much rest.  :) 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

11 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Wow, nice and early. I like that. My DD is signed up for the London insight day in a couple of weeks so we are waiting to see how that goes/if she likes it. Her brother is a yr5 JA so we travel there anyway - I really doubt it’ll happen but it’d be lovely if she could join him. 

I don’t think it matters really. If your DD is performing the night before and it’s likely to be a late evening then maybe go for the centre that is closest to where you’ll be so she could get a good rest? I believe you can audition at one centre for a place at another if you contact them but I’m not 100% certain (hopefully someone will come along that knows more on that). That said, I bet the excitement would be enough to keep her eager/performing well even on not so much rest.  :) 

Ha ha her teacher is keen 🙂  

If it was a single performance/late night we'd still go for the Birmingham but it's a busy few days with the MTB show. And all other venues are equidistance hence the dilemma...

We're at the London insight day too!

15 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

You can definitely audition at a different centre to the one you are applying for. Lots of people did last year to avoid clashes with All England regionals. Go for whichever is must convenient in terms of travel or accommodation.

Thanks for confirming - I'll start having a look at accommodation/travel. Does anyone know where the Leeds / Manchester auditions are held? Is it Centre Point for Manchester?

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 20:52, BellaF said:

Thank you MrsMoo 🙂 

Has anyone come across RBS seeing people outside of the official audition process for JAs? We came across a 9 year who auditioned today (apparently...).

Not heard of an audition for Associates outside of the advertised process although they do invite those they like from intensives in for either an individual audition or more likely into a current class.

Usually they inform wait list people when the list is being disbanded. It used to be at the end of Autumn term, but I believe it has been earlier recently. However, it is possible that for genuine reasons the 9 year old would not be able to attend the normal JA audition and RBS decided to have a look at him/her now.  Many years ago I had a family arrive from abroad during the summer and they enrolled their daughter in my school from the September. She was very talented so I rang RBS to see if there was any way she could audition for JAs.  It ws decided she would join in the next JA session and the teacher would make her recommendation.  The child was accepted and started immediately as a JA.  In the end sadly, the family returned to their country!

• Like 1

My DD is going for a place in Birmingham and we would like to audition in Totnes because Birmingham has two dates, one of which is difficult for us and I don't think you can choose. Does anyone know if it makes any difference to your chances if you chose a different centre to audition?

It makes no difference which center you audition at. However there will be a difference in which center you are applying to attend classes at. London is by far the most over subscribed and difficult to get into,

30 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

My DD is going for a place in Birmingham and we would like to audition in Totnes because Birmingham has two dates, one of which is difficult for us and I don't think you can choose. Does anyone know if it makes any difference to your chances if you chose a different centre to audition?

so if it is possible to attend another location then that might be an idea. 
It’s tricky, because when they’re little you don’t want to be driving all day!!

Someone on this forum did an analysis based on the numbers auditioning versus acceptance for each center. I can’t remember the result but as an example - the best scenario if you’re  a boy applying for Leeds as opposed to a girl applying for London. Probably still here on the forum but will have all changed with the introduction of Dundee.

51 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

We're in exactly the same position. I spoke to someone in the office and no you can't choose between the dates but if you are a young year 3 or an old year 5 you are pretty much guaranteed to be on a particular day (I did write down what age on what day for Birmingham somewhere, just not sure where!).

Unfortunately my DD birthday falls pretty much in the middle of the JA age range so could be either hence we'll probably go for Leeds.

23 minutes ago, valentina said:

It makes no difference which center you audition at. However there will be a difference in which center you are applying to attend classes at. London is by far the most over subscribed and difficult to get into,

so if it is possible to attend another location then that might be an idea. 
It’s tricky, because when they’re little you don’t want to be driving all day!!

Someone on this forum did an analysis based on the numbers auditioning versus acceptance for each center. I can’t remember the result but as an example - the best scenario if you’re  a boy applying for Leeds as opposed to a girl applying for London. Probably still here on the forum but will have all changed with the introduction of Dundee.

How interesting! Might have a dig around and see if I can find...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got excited as I know the answer to this! have no idea where the post is, but I do remember reading it at some point - the info that is being talked about is on the royal ballet school annual report from a couple of years ago..I have linked it below - you can work out the percentages quite easily? However, this is obviously old info, numbers will have changed considerably since then I would have thought? I don’t know if this link will work. 

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RBS_AnnualReport_201516_Final.pdf
but my summary..It’s on average an 11% chance of getting a place, that’s an 89% chance of not getting a place, (which gives it more perspective) 😅 if they want you they’ll find a place and if not keep trying 💁🏼‍♀️🤞🏻🌈 (and if you are a boy in Eastleigh it seems to help 😆)??

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/RBS_Annual_Report_17-18.pdf

3 hours ago, Astrid said:

I just got excited as I know the answer to this! have no idea where the post is, but I do remember reading it at some point - the info that is being talked about is on the royal ballet school annual report from a couple of years ago..I have linked it below - you can work out the percentages quite easily? However, this is obviously old info, numbers will have changed considerably since then I would have thought? I don’t know if this link will work. 

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RBS_AnnualReport_201516_Final.pdf
but my summary..It’s on average an 11% chance of getting a place, that’s an 89% chance of not getting a place, (which gives it more perspective) 😅 if they want you they’ll find a place and if not keep trying 💁🏼‍♀️🤞🏻🌈 (and if you are a boy in Eastleigh it seems to help 😆)??

They have the one for 17/18 online which is slightly more up to date but have yet to realise 18/19. 

1 hour ago, Millicent said:

Does anyone know what happens if the child is ill and can't attend the audition? Will they try to offer a different date? I'm thinking things like vomiting bug where you absolutely can't attend instead of cold/cough etc. 

My daughter had chicken pox on the day of her audition in Leeds. There was only London left so they offered a spot in one of the auditions down there. Day trip to Covent Garden 🙂

4 hours ago, Astrid said:

@Fairydust Birmingham..Realised that if we get the second date it easier to make it work than to try and get to another centre. There are two choices of dates which are two weeks apart (because of that extra BH on May 8th). So if anyone else Birmingham we will be there 🙂@Spamcat possibly? xx

Hi Astrid! Yes DD and her friend (the boy who also goes to Elmhurst) and his little sister are all auditioning in Birmimgham. I think my DD and the little sis will be on 17th due to age. The boy could be either date because he's right in the middle.

Xx

19 hours ago, SugarPlum2000 said:

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/RBS_Annual_Report_17-18.pdf

They have the one for 17/18 online which is slightly more up to date but have yet to realise 18/19. 

Only final numbers on the latest one though not how many auditioned.

Edited by BattementBatty

It's nearly 15 years since my DD auditioned for JAs and we were told back then that overall about 10% were accepted, so it sounds like that is probably a fairly consustent figure.

I think it is a very useful thing to know actually, as it puts things into context for parents, and even quite young children can grasp that out of every 10 in the audition one will gain a place and nine won't. I think it is important for those who are disappointed to realise that they are not alone, but are in fact in the very large majority. That applies to parents too - especially on here, as even though the majority of posters here are lovely, supportive people, you do get a bit of a skewed impression around audition time. Not surprisingly, people are keener to post their positive news and it sometimes feels that everyone is getting a yes except your child. It isn't true of course and knowing the real figures is, in my opinion, quite helpful and facilitates expectation management.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...