DreamChaser

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

How much are entry fees? 

They vary depending on category. Junior is £150 to give you an idea.

Lots of the pages on the website don't have any information on though, it just says 'coming soon' - including the link to the rules and regulations. Which is odd, as you have to agree to them when signing the entry form, but how can you read and agree to them if you can't access them?

Edited by taxi4ballet
edited for spelling
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Darcey15 said:

Yes I did but they never bothered to even read my question properly. We will give it a miss! 

Just been messaging her Mum about something else and they have pretty much decided to give it a miss as a whole week wont be possible for them. They were looking for details on the timetable for the week.  Does anyone have that information yet?

This is the email from July 2019

This year was an exciting year as we staged our first ever Grand Prix in England. The competition was a huge success and everyone who competed should be very proud. 

The competition surpassed all expectations and obtained more than the £50K scholarships originally pledged as prizes meaning more competitors were able to benefit from dance experiences across the globe. 

Due to popular demand, we will be running the competition again in 2020, where we aim to provide more scholarships and bursaries than ever before, making British Ballet Grand Prix the leading classical dance competition in Britain!

Part 2

Taking on feedback from our applicants and judges we have made a few changes to our application process. 

Firstly the competition will now accept applications from dancers without requiring final details of the chosen variation/performance piece. This request was made by several dancers who wanted to apply, to ensure their place, however, were not yet aware of which variation to perform. Due to the popularity of this years event, we are expecting a surge of applicants once we announce that the applications for 2020 are open, therefore as previous competitors, you are being informed before we go live on social media allowing you to be able to guarantee your slot to compete before making your final preparations on your chosen variation/performance piece. 

Secondly, BBGP will now be supplying music for all items on the repertoire list (only applicable for Intermediate, Advanced and Pas de Deux categories). This is to help with scoring for the judges, allowing them to mark dancers with the same variation fairly. A link to download the music files will be provided with the confirmation email. 

Lastly, to provide as many opportunities as possible for our competitors we will be expanding the week, therefore, we will have 5 days in the studio for our preliminary rounds and masterclasses prior to our 'Finals Day' in the theatre. 

We feel these small changes will make for an even better experience for our dancers, making it easier to apply and compete. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 18:55, Newdancermum said:

No plans to enter but had thought about going to see it this year so have been waiting to see the adverts but not heard anything.  They haven't updated anything on social media since last summer and I also noted that they never did announce the other winners from the partner schools and companies.  I was beginning to think it wasn't going ahead until this thread started.

Did you ever find a full list of awards from last year?

I can't see anything this year about current sponsors and prizes.  I know it's the taking part that matters but it would be nice to see what is on offer to those who do well.  

• Like 1

On 06/02/2020 at 14:19, BalletcoForum Moderators said:

Several posts in this thread have been hidden as they refer to an institution we do not discuss.  For more details, please see this thread:

Another post in this thread has been hidden for the same reason mentioned above.  

If it is not possible to discuss this competition without mentioning the host school/studios then posters will leave us no choice but to lock the thread. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dance.Mum said:

Did you ever find a full list of awards from last year?

I can't see anything this year about current sponsors and prizes.  I know it's the taking part that matters but it would be nice to see what is on offer to those who do well.  

No I never found anything more - no one we know who entered won anything other than a Dancing Times subscription.

Having said we weren’t interested in applying DD has been talking about the variations and has picked one she thinks she “knows”.  I don’t feel she is the required standard so not sure what we might do as I don’t want to put her off. We might yet apply.  Do you need. “fancy” costume?  Can you just wear a leotard and skirt or tutu skirt?

Hopefully whomever posted the deleted message responded to you personally.

I remember there were quite a few scholarships to summer schools at various dance schools, even to those who didn't get through to finals. I remember there was something on social media. I'll see if I can find it and post.

Just a black leotard and you can have a practice skirt for the prelims. Tutu/costume for the finals

Hope this helps

28 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

I remember there were quite a few scholarships to summer schools at various dance schools, even to those who didn't get through to finals. I remember there was something on social media. I'll see if I can find it and post.

Just a black leotard and you can have a practice skirt for the prelims. Tutu/costume for the finals

Hope this helps

Thank you - if you do find anything it would be good to know.

DD has never done festivals or competitions and only done repertoire as part of a course so we don't have a tutu but she could borrow a tutu skirt and we do have a longer length skirt which she she used for graded exams.  Not sure I would want to have to go to much expense to find it isn't needed if she doesn't  make finals.  How many get to dance on stage of those who apply? 

17 hours ago, BalletcoForum Moderators said:

Another post in this thread has been hidden for the same reason mentioned above.  

If it is not possible to discuss this competition without mentioning the host school/studios then posters will leave us no choice but to lock the thread. 

YES I AM SPEAKING LOUDLY.  Please read the linked post on Locked/hidden threads.

I have just hidden yet another post that breaches the instruction in that thread.

If any more posts are made that mention the host school/studios or a full list of winners (google is your friend if you want to find out) then we WILL lock this thread.

• Like 3

Actually I'm not finding Google my friend Janet regards to finding out 2019 winners.

Last year I didn't pay much attention to this competition as didn't realise it was so big with partnership schools from abroad etc.

However after following this thread thought I'd Google last year's competition but I can't find any clear information about winners and categories etc. 

Oh just seen your post HopelessMummy! 

When you've a moment you wouldn't like to PM these results to me would you? 

If Ive got it correct the winners perform at the Haymarket Theatre in Leicester which I know quite well so was wondering whether worth a trip up this year.

2 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

I'll go and hide in a corner with my dunce's hat on

Sorry

No need, HopelessMummy.  The simple fact is that for some time now, public mention of two particular schools has not been permitted on this forum, in accordance with our legal obligations.  This means that posts which mention these two schools will be hidden by the Moderators.

If we sound slightly frustrated on occasion it is because Simonetta Dixon’s explanatory post has been pinned in “Doing Dance” for several years yet even when we highlight it in threads, some people appear not to see it or to ignore it.   Obviously it’s not an ideal situation but it is what it is and we are unlikely to be able to change our stance. 

Hope that helps,

kind regards,

Anna

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Actually I'm not finding Google my friend Janet regards to finding out 2019 winners.

Last year I didn't pay much attention to this competition as didn't realise it was so big with partnership schools from abroad etc.

However after following this thread thought I'd Google last year's competition but I can't find any clear information about winners and categories etc. 

I’m sure last years winners are on the website but the list of scholarships taken etc isn’t complete. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

I’m sure last years winners are on the website but the list of scholarships taken etc isn’t complete. 

Glad it’s not just me who can’t find anything.  The main prize winners and a few scholarships were listed and it said the full list would be published but this has not been updated.  There is also nothing about prizes for this year and the sponsors list has not been updated the last time I looked.

Yes I’ve had it posted to me now but I still can’t find the last years prizes section.

When I did the search a section came up winners 2019 so went into this but just took me to website. I explored this and then with some advice to go into the ‘about’ section I did but this just came up with some general blurb and the different categories to enter etc! I just couldn’t see a link anywhere to last years winners!! 
The Facebook sites weren’t much help either. 
Anyway people cleverer than me HAVE found the info so I now have it. Thankyou Janet!! 
I will be interested to see how this Competition pans out but it may be worth a trip to Leicester.....I’m assuming the general public can go and it’s not restricted to families/teachers of the competitors 

Oh okay haven’t been to Coventry for about 20 years now but let’s see if it’s all happening first. 
There could just be a delay because of a few people needing to confirm they can make it (judges/ teachers etc) before it’s all properly announced.