British Ballet Grand Prix 2020

DreamChaser

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has entered this years BBGP? I completed the entry form, made payment but haven’t yet received a confirmation email which should contain the variation music for the competition.  Just wondered if anyone else is in the same situation?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi HopelessMummy,  My DD also competed last year and I agree communication was excellent.  

In the past 2 weeks I’ve emailed and used Instagram and the Facebook page to contact but no response.  I know they’re in the ‘off season’ but just wondering if anyone else has entered and received the music - hoping to start the choreography later this month but now worried the entry has been lost 🙈

No plans to enter but had thought about going to see it this year so have been waiting to see the adverts but not heard anything.  They haven't updated anything on social media since last summer and I also noted that they never did announce the other winners from the partner schools and companies.  I was beginning to think it wasn't going ahead until this thread started.

The dancers who competed in 2019 were offered early bird entry in July as its anticipated that there will be more interest this year.  The competition is now open to all to enter on the BBGP website.  The format has also changed; it will be a full week of masterclasses prior to the performance evening

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamChaser said:

The dancers who competed in 2019 were offered early bird entry in July as its anticipated that there will be more interest this year.  The competition is now open to all to enter on the BBGP website.  The format has also changed; it will be a full week of masterclasses prior to the performance evening

Do you know if it is going to be possible to watch the masterclasses or just the performance?

I think it's just the performance as the masterclasses take place at BTUK unless you have entered, in which case you can view from the waiting area. I thoroughly recommend the performance at the theatre. The standard is incredible. My DD got to watch for free; she didn't get through but was able to see why she didn't.

We're not doing it this year. DD is nowhere near the standard required. Last year, she was one of the youngest there because of the way the age is taken from May. This year, I think because of the greater international interest, the quality of dancing is likely to be even higher

Yes as HopelessMummy suggests the Masterclasses will be held at the BTUK studios but I wouldn’t be surprised if they broadcast the classes on the internet as they do at the Prix de Lausanne etc...  My DD was lucky enough to go through to the performance in the junior category but this year will be competing with intermediates which in my opinion was by far the strongest category in 2019 - what talent!

Still looking for anyone who has entered and received music.....😊

Dreamchaser, as the Ballet Grand Prix is a promotion for BTUK please note 

Sim     16,817

To all forum members:  In accordance with our legal obligations, threads and posts relating to the School of Ballet Theatre UK and Ballet West are hidden and, for the time being, any new postings relating to these schools will be locked or hidden.  We will advise members if and when this situation changes. In the meantime, please do not post anything relating to these schools. Thank you.

Simonetta Dixon

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 21:37, DreamChaser said:

I looked on the website for this but unable to see anything?

Finding it really strange that I’ve had no reply in over 3 weeks.  The competition is open to enter on the BBGP website but unlike the email I received in July it doesn’t mention at all the change in format.  Really tempted to withdraw and see how the competition develops in future years.  My DD enjoyed it last year but it did feel odd that 2 members of the judging panel had a big cohort orphans dancers from their own schools.....

There is no telephone number listed on the website unfortunately.  If you have got the postal address have you considered writing to them by registered delivery to ensure that your query has been received?

I think I would be very frustrated by now too.

• Like 2

I’ve contacted PayPal to request a refund but unfortunately no protection after 180 days - entry submitted in July 🙁. Last resort, I’ve emailed the school that can’t be mentioned on here since it has such close links to the competition.  Really disappointing 🙄

14 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

They're on Facebook - maybe try that?

Frustratingly I’ve tried all the avenues I can think of Facebook, instagram, their website contact sheet and the email address they used to contact competitors last year.....  An automated reply bounced back explaining that it was out of season so emails being checked once per week but that was almost 4 weeks ago now.  Without the music they’re supposed to email out we can’t make a start on the choreography and private coaching slots are booking up fast for the next 2 months 🙄

I suggest you complete a Company House Check on the four businesses run by the same man who runs this competition. 
Im guessing this competition will go ahead to finance his other four businesses. 
I hope It all gets sorted out for you 

Edited by Canary
Added an ending

4 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

They're on Facebook - maybe try that?

They don’t appear to be responding to Facebook messages.  We know someone who wants to apply and was seeking some additional information.  We can’t make a full week due to exam prep so not for us this year.

1 hour ago, HopelessMummy said:

I suspect they are not going to send the music out until the closing date for the comp has passed, otherwise those who entered early would have an unfair advantage on those who enter later. Haven't they already published the lists of the rep for the older categories already? 

I think that is a very fair point with regards the music but the rep list is available so surely you can start working on elements of the choreo.  I do however feel the lack of response to contacts going back a number of weeks is of concern.

5 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

FYI, They have just anounced some technical glitch on their FB page. 

4 hours ago, Sheila Beelam said:

Just about to post the same - mentioned on their Instagram! A relief for many :) 

They state it was an email and domain name issue but this does not answer the question as why they haven't answered Facebook or Instagram messages.  I hope they are now being proactive and more organised.  Waiting until 1st May the closing date for the music, as was suggested, wouldn't give long for participants to rehearse.

• Like 1