Northern Ballet Associates (Leeds) Audition

Creakingstool

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet Associates (Leeds) Audition

Creakingstool - It was a ballet class like RBS, yes, but the group seemed quite a bit bigger than RBS audition. Its all blurred a bit in my head now but i think it was about an hour. there was some just looking at them physically, but less so than with the RBS audition. there was preliminaries and then finals, with about a 3 week wait for the results of that if I remember rightly. 

My DD auditioned last year. The preliminary audition was just like a class, she came out saying it was really good fun. She got through to finals where they went in as one group of 50 I think. They did a warm up then split into groups and some did flexibility stuff whilst the others danced then they swapped. I can’t remember much more than that . DD said it was still good fun but finals felt more serious and more tricky. She got a no but loved it so is keen to try again this year! 

Edited by HowMuch!
Spelling!

7 hours ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

Creakingstool - It was a ballet class like RBS, yes, but the group seemed quite a bit bigger than RBS audition. Its all blurred a bit in my head now but i think it was about an hour. there was some just looking at them physically, but less so than with the RBS audition. there was preliminaries and then finals, with about a 3 week wait for the results of that if I remember rightly. 

Thanks for this, I will let her know :)

15 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

My DD auditioned last year. The preliminary audition was just like a class, she came out saying it was really good fun. She got through to finals where they went in as one group of 50 I think. They did a warm up then split into groups and some did flexibility stuff whilst the others danced then they swapped. I can’t remember much more than that . DD said it was still good fun but finals felt more serious and more tricky. She got a no but loved it so is keen to try again this year! 

Thanks, sounds like they do take quite a few forward, wonder how many audition in the first round. Just need to take somemore photos now for the application.

9 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Thanks, sounds like they do take quite a few forward, wonder how many audition in the first round. Just need to take somemore photos now for the application.

Their annual highlights for 18/19 said 307 auditioned, 66 given places with 48 being given associate places and 18 CAT. 

1 hour ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

Their annual highlights for 18/19 said 307 auditioned, 66 given places with 48 being given associate places and 18 CAT. 

I wonder how many of the 48 given associate places were for junior associates? 15 children maybe? 

On 21/01/2020 at 08:29, HowMuch! said:

I wonder how many of the 48 given associate places were for junior associates? 15 children maybe? 

It's a y5-6 class and there's about 30 of them in the class. Many but not all were new in September. I think there's more y6 than y5. My DD Is in y5 and there's a few of them but it's not 50-50 

1 hour ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

It's a y5-6 class and there's about 30 of them in the class. Many but not all were new in September. I think there's more y6 than y5. My DD Is in y5 and there's a few of them but it's not 50-50 

That’s interesting to know. Thank you. 

Just to add a couple of things from my DD's perspective - she auditioned for year 7 two years ago. The first audition was very relaxed and she came out feeling very confident. It was a marked contrast to her RBS audition! The final audition felt higher level but still a positive experience. There were around 25 in that one. She didn't think there was much testing of flexibility.

Inter Foundation is also a class of about 30 but made up mostly of just one year group (year 7) so statistically it may be a little easier to get in at that point. By the time you get to Intermediate there are two year groups mixed again (8 and 9).

Hope that helps.

12 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

Just to add a couple of things from my DD's perspective - she auditioned for year 7 two years ago. The first audition was very relaxed and she came out feeling very confident. It was a marked contrast to her RBS audition! The final audition felt higher level but still a positive experience. There were around 25 in that one. She didn't think there was much testing of flexibility.

Inter Foundation is also a class of about 30 but made up mostly of just one year group (year 7) so statistically it may be a little easier to get in at that point. By the time you get to Intermediate there are two year groups mixed again (8 and 9).

Hope that helps.

What RAD grade is expected for inter foundation? My DD is year 5 due to do G3 exam this summer and move up to G4 plus pre-pointe in year 6. I’d expect her to stay in G4/pre-pointe for at least 18 months so I’m guessing in year 7 she’d still be G4/pre-pointe. I’d like her to get in inter found at northern when she’s old enough but I’m wondering if she might need to already be at G5/beginner pointe level??? 

Or am I over-thinking it all? 😂

1 hour ago, HowMuch! said:

What RAD grade is expected for inter foundation? My DD is year 5 due to do G3 exam this summer and move up to G4 plus pre-pointe in year 6. I’d expect her to stay in G4/pre-pointe for at least 18 months so I’m guessing in year 7 she’d still be G4/pre-pointe. I’d like her to get in inter found at northern when she’s old enough but I’m wondering if she might need to already be at G5/beginner pointe level??? 

Or am I over-thinking it all? 😂

My DD only took her G3 in year 7 so I wouldn't worry! She had already started RAD Inter-Foundation and pointe classes but there isn't much pointe work in the IF associates. There were a few sessions in the spring term where those already on pointe brought their shoes and those who weren't did centre practice on demi-pointe and the boys did strength work. 

It's true that DD does some steps (is that the right term?!) at Northern that she hasn't come to yet in the grades but it's not been an issue. 

1 minute ago, Streetdancer said:

My DD only took her G3 in year 7 so I wouldn't worry! She had already started RAD Inter-Foundation and pointe classes but there isn't much pointe work in the IF associates. There were a few sessions in the spring term where those already on pointe brought their shoes and those who weren't did centre practice on demi-pointe and the boys did strength work. 

It's true that DD does some steps (is that the right term?!) at Northern that she hasn't come to yet in the grades but it's not been an issue. 

That’s good to know, thank you. X

9 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

@Streetdancer
On second thoughts, am I confusing their Inter foundation associates with RAD inter foundation? I hadn’t realised the two had the same title! How confusing! I meant RAD inter foundation which I’m assuming they would need to be at G5 standard? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Oh I see ha ha! Yes it's confusing. You don't have to be at G5 standard for RAD Inter-Foundation either. The only requirement is that you're at least 11 when you take the exam. Dance schools will all have their own approaches to this though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

Oh I see ha ha! Yes it's confusing. You don't have to be at G5 standard for RAD Inter-Foundation either. The only requirement is that you're at least 11 when you take the exam. Dance schools will all have their own approaches to this though.

It’s mind-boggling at times! 😂 DD does open classes at northern as well as RAD classes locally. Local class starts inter found at G5. From what I can tell, at Northern they will give that guidance at the end of this academic year. I’m in no rush for her to start IF though, I’m just pondering over what the journey may look like over the next few years. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Damedolly said:

Oh competitive stretching 🙈 😂 we will be more nervous than the children I’m sure!  

Ah yes....all those stretches that Miss Cara and Miss Hatton tell their students to do at the end of the class when their body is warm enough, so they don't injure themselves!!! My dd has now go to the point of sitting quietly doing a bit f point n flex etc and listening to her music. Good luck!!!!

13 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Ah yes....all those stretches that Miss Cara and Miss Hatton tell their students to do at the end of the class when their body is warm enough, so they don't injure themselves!!! My dd has now go to the point of sitting quietly doing a bit f point n flex etc and listening to her music. Good luck!!!!

It drives me mad seeing all these girls doing the splits before they’ve even moved! DD will most likely do a few nervous hops from foot to foot and then ask to wait in the foyer. 

3 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

It drives me mad seeing all these girls doing the splits before they’ve even moved! DD will most likely do a few nervous hops from foot to foot and then ask to wait in the foyer. 

When we were there, there’s a warm up space available, plus the audition room was open well before the audition but exactly as you say, we just waited in the foyer not stretching!