Royal Ballet Summer 2019/20 casting

No Tristan Dyer in Monotones 1? Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen him all season, nor one or two other male soloists - Yudes and Montano. 

Happy to see Rovero up there. Sad not to see Arestis in Monotones 2.

41 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, quite light on principals, isn't it?  Are they rehearsing for touring?

...... some are still dancing Swan Lake and there's the 20th May Gala.

But the 2019/20 Royal Ballet season (which was jam-packed with goodies at the beginning) now has the distinct feeling of fizzling out. I think they might find it hard to shift tickets.

Has anyone any news of touring in 2020?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, quite light on principals, isn't it?  

That's certainly true for Monotones I and II but not for the other items on the bill. These feature (in the order they appear in the casting) Cuthbertson, Morera, Ball, Hayward, Campbell, and Nuñez.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Darlex said:

No Tristan Dyer in Monotones 1? Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen him all season, nor one or two other male soloists - Yudes and Montano. 

I've been thinking I've hardly seen Tristan Dyer since the Bernstein triple. Has he been injured? I even wondered if he'd left the RB but he still seems to be in the list of soloists.

Unfortunately the only matinee doesn't have an evening performance either the same day or previous day. So if I want to see both casts I will have to have 2 overnight stays.

At least there is a matinee which is more than there is for the Dante Project and the modern triple. So if i was tempted by the fabulous casting (versus, for me, the potentially dubious choreography of the latter two), I would have to pay for a hotel as well. It's not going to happen! (I know I can see Dante at the cinema and don't know if I can even bring myself to do that.)

No mention of Vadim in the casting. That seems to mean since his Sleeping Beauty last week he's only doing a few Swan Lakes and presumably the Gala between now and the new season in September/October. I know he'll be guesting elsewhere but still... Perhaps he'll say in the Ballet Circle talk this evening what his future plans are. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Unfortunately the only matinee doesn't have an evening performance either the same day or previous day. So if I want to see both casts I will have to have 2 overnight stays.

You've probably already noticed this, but BRB are performing a triple bill at Sadler's Wells on the same day as that triple bill matinee at the ROH. It doesn't help with seeing both RB casts but does make the trip more worthwhile. The RB matinee is an early one so I have bought a cheap ticket for BRB matinee and aim to catch the last ballet on that bill, Theme and Variations, at the matinee (after watching matinee at ROH) and then watch the whole BRB bill that evening. 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bluebird said:

That's certainly true for Monotones I and II but not for the other items on the bill. These feature (in the order they appear in the casting) Cuthbertson, Morera, Ball, Hayward, Campbell, and Nuñez.

Yes, but the Royal Ballet has 17 principals, guests not included.  That was what I meant.

49 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

You've probably already noticed this, but BRB are performing a triple bill at Sadler's Wells on the same day as that triple bill matinee at the ROH. It doesn't help with seeing both RB casts but does make the trip more worthwhile. The RB matinee is an early one so I have bought a cheap ticket for BRB matinee and aim to catch the last ballet on that bill, Theme and Variations, at the matinee (after watching matinee at ROH) and then watch the whole BRB bill that evening. 

I actually hadn't realised this was on at the same time so thanks very much for telling me. I might follow your example and try and get a cheap ticket for Themes and Variations matinee and not bother with the others. 

On 20/01/2020 at 11:30, alison said:

Hmm, quite light on principals, isn't it?  Are they rehearsing for touring?

On 20/01/2020 at 12:15, capybara said:

Has anyone any news of touring in 2020?

When I enquired at the end of last year I was told that the Royal Ballet currently have no plans to tour abroad this season, there are performances in Doncaster on 4 and 5 July 2020. 

2 hours ago, prs59 said:

When I enquired at the end of last year I was told that the Royal Ballet currently have no plans to tour abroad this season, there are performances in Doncaster on 4 and 5 July 2020. 

The two performances at Cast in Doncaster don't have any rep listed yet but I expect they will be fairly small scale pieces and that it will be recorded music.

Cast is a rather lovely but small venue in Doncaster and they are selling tickets starting at row A so the orchestra pit isn't being put in.  

Federico Bonelli is curating the programme but is not appearing in it himself.

https://castindoncaster.com/whats-on/the-royal-ballet/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Gulp. One wonders what the ROH computer knows that I don’t. Don Carlos as much of a premium product as Tosca? Really? Maybe I have misread. 

Maybe the Domingo effect? Even though he's only doing 3 of the 7 performances. I had intended to get a ticket for one of the non-Domingo performances (no desire to see an 80 year old Posa) but having seen the prices I'm not sure if I will now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Maybe the Domingo effect? Even though he's only doing 3 of the 7 performances. I had intended to get a ticket for one of the non-Domingo performances (no desire to see an 80 year old Posa) but having seen the prices I'm not sure if I will now.

After Domingo’s miserable performance the last time he attended Traviata, I would pay *more* for the nights he is not singing. But still maybe not those prices, despite Don Carlos being one of my favourite scores. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

After Domingo’s miserable performance the last time he attended Traviata, I would pay *more* for the nights he is not singing. But still maybe not those prices, despite Don Carlos being one of my favourite scores. 

It's worth noting that the dress rehearsal is, unusually, on a weekday evening.