Fanfare for Europe

I have found my programme for the ballet gala performance at the Royal Opera House on Saturday, 13 January 1973, which was "A celebration to mark the entry of the United Kingdom into the European Community".  The programme featured the Royal Ballet with guests from 6 of the other 8 countries in the EEC.  Only Luxembourg and Ireland were omitted.

The programme was as follows:

The fairies from the prologue to The Sleeping Beauty:

Ria Peri, Laura Connor, Alfreda Thorogood, Georgina Parkinson, Anita Young, Lesley Collier, Vergie Derman

The Moor's Pavane (Jose Limon) (Royal Danish Ballet) - Vivi Flindt, Toni Lander, Henning Kronstam, Bruce Marks

Coppelia Act III pas de deux (Henrique Martinez) (La Scala, Milan) - Carla Fracci, Paolo Bortoluzzi

Twilight (Hans Van Manen) (Dutch National Ballet) - Alexandra Radius, Han Ebbelaar

The Lady and the Fool pas de deux (John Cranko) - Svetlana Beriosova, Donald MacLeary

Bhakti pas de deux (Maurice Bejart) (Ballet of the 20th Century) - Angele Albrecht, Daniel Lommel

Le Corsaire pas de deux - Margot Fonteyn, Rudolf Nureyev

Symphonic Variations (Frederick Ashton) - Merle Park, David Wall, Jennifer Penney, Laura Connor, Michael Coleman, Gary Sherwood

The Taming of the Shrew Act I pas de deux (John Cranko) (Stuttgart Ballet) - Marcia Haydee, Ricard Cragun

Pavane (Kenneth MacMillan) (world premiere) - Antoinette Sibley, Anthony Dowell

Swan Lake Act III pas de deux (Ballet of the Paris Opera) - Noelle Pontois, Cyril Atanassoff

Side Show (Kenneth MacMillan) - Lynn Seymour, Rudolf Nureyev

Grand Defile

• Like 10

I remember this and still have my programme as well. So many starry names, I particularly remember The Moor’s Pavane and The Taming of the Shrew Pas de Deux and the excitement of seeing so many famous dancers at the same time. I also remember that the defile was a polonaise (I think to the music from the end of Beauty) and most of the dancers, apart from those in the RB, didn’t seem to be able to do the steps properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, li tai po said:

I have found my programme for the ballet gala performance at the Royal Opera House on Saturday, 13 January 1973, which was "A celebration to mark the entry of the United Kingdom into the European Community".  The programme featured the Royal Ballet with guests from 6 of the other 8 countries in the EEC.  Only Luxembourg and Ireland were omitted.

The programme was as follows:

The fairies from the prologue to The Sleeping Beauty:

Ria Peri, Laura Connor, Alfreda Thorogood, Georgina Parkinson, Anita Young, Lesley Collier, Vergie Derman

The Moor's Pavane (Jose Limon) (Royal Danish Ballet) - Vivi Flindt, Toni Lander, Henning Kronstam, Bruce Marks

Coppelia Act III pas de deux (Henrique Martinez) (La Scala, Milan) - Carla Fracci, Paolo Bortoluzzi

Twilight (Hans Van Manen) (Dutch National Ballet) - Alexandra Radius, Han Ebbelaar

The Lady and the Fool pas de deux (John Cranko) - Svetlana Beriosova, Donald MacLeary

Bhakti pas de deux (Maurice Bejart) (Ballet of the 20th Century) - Angele Albrecht, Daniel Lommel

Le Corsaire pas de deux - Margot Fonteyn, Rudolf Nureyev

Symphonic Variations (Frederick Ashton) - Merle Park, David Wall, Jennifer Penney, Laura Connor, Michael Coleman, Gary Sherwood

The Taming of the Shrew Act I pas de deux (John Cranko) (Stuttgart Ballet) - Marcia Haydee, Ricard Cragun

Pavane (Kenneth MacMillan) (world premiere) - Antoinette Sibley, Anthony Dowell

Swan Lake Act III pas de deux (Ballet of the Paris Opera) - Noelle Pontois, Cyril Atanassoff

Side Show (Kenneth MacMillan) - Lynn Seymour, Rudolf Nureyev

Grand Defile

Wow.  I don’t suppose there’s film of this?  

3 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

I also remember that the defile was a polonaise (I think to the music from the end of Beauty) and most of the dancers, apart from those in the RB, didn’t seem to be able to do the steps properly.

Without wishing to spark any form of debate, do you think this is ultimately why the whole project failed for us?  (Balletscoers -  I mean this completely tongue in cheek of course)