ROH Auditorium Quirks

I LOVE being in the ROH auditorium ... but there are a few queries I keep meaning to ask about...

1) Why is there an  old telephone handset dangling on wires about 100 ft above the orchestra pit like the Sword of Damocles? 

2) If this were to ring, how would anyone answer it? 

3) Has anyone else noticed fairly large flakes of something fluttering down in the midst of  various recent performances? Are these snowflakes trying to get a look in, due to the  absence of  The Nutcracker this season, or maybe dandruff from the Ballet Gods on high? 

I think we should be told....!

And if people have noticed any other quirks, perhaps they can be shared and  explained here......?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

3) Has anyone else noticed fairly large flakes of something fluttering down in the midst of  various recent performances? Are these snowflakes trying to get a look in, due to the  absence of  The Nutcracker this season, or maybe dandruff from the Ballet Gods on high? 

Could it be stray confetti left over from the finale of Coppélia? I noticed it last night. 

• Like 4

I've noticed flakes floating down in various different theatres.  I always assumed it was leftover snowflakes/confetti etc from a different show.

My quirk query is what is it about the ROH auditorium that makes the orchestra sound worse in some areas than others?  In particular, the stalls circle seems to receive gusts of out-of-balance brass/wind section instruments.  (I'm not joking either.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

My quirk query is what is it about the ROH auditorium that makes the orchestra sound worse in some areas than others?  In particular, the stalls circle seems to receive gusts of out-of-balance brass/wind section instruments.  (I'm not joking either.)

I think that's fairly normal for opera houses, and more likely the closer you are to the pit - though you do get quirks further afield sometimes (the percussion section is disproportionately loud from certain spots in the Coliseum balcony, I find).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

1) Why is there an  old telephone handset dangling on wires about 100 ft above the orchestra pit like the Sword of Damocles? 

I *think* it's a microphone. If it is, it might explain why singers frequently sound less than their best in Radio 3 relays, as I don't think its placement is particularly well judged.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think that's fairly normal for opera houses, and more likely the closer you are to the pit - though you do get quirks further afield sometimes (the percussion section is disproportionately loud from certain spots in the Coliseum balcony, I find).

I've never noticed it anywhere as much as the ROH though.  It's almost as though the brass section are ACTUALLY out of balance ;)

4 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

IMO the best orchestral balance and sound at ROH is in the front Amphi and front Balcony. There are some really odd distortions and echoes in the side Orchestra Stalls, near the “wall” to the Stalls Circle. For example, during Don Q the castanets sounded like they were behind me and late 🙉.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

The thing I want to know is: what have they done with the chandelier? It's been MIA for years now.

I seem to remember, tho' can't guarantee it (the memory, that is), being told something about the parts of the chandelier being used for the ones in the Crush Room?

59 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

I seem to remember, tho' can't guarantee it (the memory, that is), being told something about the parts of the chandelier being used for the ones in the Crush Room?

I was told it was so big they made it into the two chandeliers in the Crush Room.

23 minutes ago, Janite said:

I was told it was so big they made it into the two chandeliers in the Crush Room.

But it was still there long after the big re-opening - only disappeared a few years ago (a year or two before Open Up started, I think).

12 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

But it was still there long after the big re-opening - only disappeared a few years ago (a year or two before Open Up started, I think).

A couple of months ago I took a young child to Little Red by Northern Ballet in the Linbury. After the performance (excellent) we walked round the whole building, she was thrilled to do so and the staff could not have been more helpful and kind. They pointed out all sorts of things inculding the two chandaliers in the crush room which they said came from the one big one. We had a great time and young child can't wait to be old enough to go to 'grown up ballet'.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Can anyone corroborate a story saying that back, in the 50s or early 60s, a number of chaps appeared in overalls with ladders to "clean the chandelier" in the Crush Room ..... and made off with it?

I’m pretty sure it was 1982 and the chaps were called Del and Rodney 🤔🙂

• Like 9

Attend a performance of the production after Slava's Snowshow, to see lots of extra bits falling. (I've experiences this in Brum.)

If you do classes at the DanceXchange in Birmingham, you'll quite reguarly see the BRB dancers going home as we go in. Last week, I saw Carlos Acosta lurking on the pavement outside.

• Like 1