CAT open day Northern Ballet Leeds

HowMuch!

My daughter is one of the Level 1 CAT students there tomorrow. She has to do thr same thing 5 times!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

We did the Manchester one last year. Kids had a workshop and a little tour of The Lowry Theatre. My son loved it but he was still a bit young,  so maybe audition for it in the next few years.

I had a lovely coffee in the company of LS Lowry’s etchings! 😆😆 xx

3 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

I'm taking youngest DD tomorrow. She gets to watch her big sister's associates class which is a bonus! I think it'll be a fun morning.

12 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Never went to the CAT open day. But my daughter is on the scheme in Level 1.and loves it. Miss Cara is fab, so they will have lots of fun I'm sure. 

My DD remembers Miss Cara from the open day last year, she’s so engaging! 

12 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Have fun today, we went last year and my DD enjoyed every minute. The CAT day sounds amazing this year too. My DD is a little anxious about the workshops/classes but I’m sure she’ll love it.

And, thank you everyone else too! 

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

the cakeologist's cakes are fabulous  and close to home for the Northern Ballet Family  ... 

11 minutes ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

The CAT open day was brilliant last year.’  They watched company class, miss Cara taught the children in a fantastic class and they had q&a with company dancers. It was a great experience. DD is a JA this year and very keen to join the CAT programme next year now shes old enough. 

It sounds like a great experience. X

On 18/01/2020 at 22:56, Streetdancer said:

I'm taking youngest DD tomorrow. She gets to watch her big sister's associates class which is a bonus! I think it'll be a fun morning.

We really enjoyed the day, we were first session I think and saw warm up and conditioning. The class looked very good and were very professional, must have been strange all those people watching :)

On 19/01/2020 at 08:38, Jan McNulty said:

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

The cupcake went down very well!! A really good morning visit, I found it really informative and everyone seemed very friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

We were keen to go to this but had exam coaching classes she couldn’t miss last weekend, and the exam today!

Hopefully we can get there next year 😊

I would highly recommend going next year! It was a lovely day.

2 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

That’s good to hear, thank you @HowMuch! 😊 

Pleased you enjoyed it. Is your DD/DS applying for the CAT scheme? What age do they apply? Do they have an expected/minimum grade? Thank you! 

The earliest they can apply is Yr5 to start when they’re in yr6. No expected/minimum grade as they’re looking for potential but from the look of the girls today most were grade 3 and above. It feels very different to their associates where they’re looking for strength and ability. Last year DD got to finals for associates but was advised to reapply when stronger, she wasn’t old enough for CAT then so we’re hoping for success this year. DD is hoping for CAT! 

16 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

The earliest they can apply is Yr5 to start when they’re in yr6. No expected/minimum grade as they’re looking for potential but from the look of the girls today most were grade 3 and above. It feels very different to their associates where they’re looking for strength and ability. Last year DD got to finals for associates but was advised to reapply when stronger, she wasn’t old enough for CAT then so we’re hoping for success this year. DD is hoping for CAT! 

My youngest wanted to go but we had a show, my eldest joined the CAT scheme in September and loves it, the commitment is huge though. My youngest would love to join the scheme and wants to audition this time round now she’s old enough ! 

I can't reiterate enough the time commitment. Evenings, weekends and holidays for intensives. But, it's worth it. Small classes, tailored learning, the opportunity to train in the same building as a working company which I think is unique in this country, especially at lower school level and staying in mainstream education to give a good grounding for those that choose another path. DD didn't want to board and we are so lucky that she can get affordable vocational training and live at home. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen logistically, and as she didn't start until Y10 she has done a great deal of independent travel from the start thank goodness. But if you can make it work, do. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yrosered said:

I can't reiterate enough the time commitment. Evenings, weekends and holidays for intensives. But, it's worth it. Small classes, tailored learning, the opportunity to train in the same building as a working company which I think is unique in this country, especially at lower school level and staying in mainstream education to give a good grounding for those that choose another path. DD didn't want to board and we are so lucky that she can get affordable vocational training and live at home. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen logistically, and as she didn't start until Y10 she has done a great deal of independent travel from the start thank goodness. But if you can make it work, do. 

It is a huge commitment and certainly not one we’d take without thought. Part of me hopes if she’s successful during this years auditions, that she gets associates rather than CAT! But, it’s her dream so if CAT is a yes then we’ll make it work. We’ll take each step as it comes and enjoy the ride! 😊

Thanks so much @HowMuch! and everyone else. 

I am planning on contacting them myself, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how much (apart from a lot!) of a commitment it is. What does the timetable look like? Evenings after school (how many), weekend days and holidays? Just so I have an idea if that’s ok. 

DD has her usual ballet and other dance classes, as well as musical theatre and 2 x associate programmes, which I would anticipate this would replace (almost all of the above), In the unlikely event she was successful. An idea of how many hours/days would be super helpful! 

Thank you so much. 

7 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

I am planning on contacting them myself, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how much (apart from a lot!) of a commitment it is. What does the timetable look like? Evenings after school (how many), weekend days and holidays? Just so I have an idea if that’s ok. 

DD has her usual ballet and other dance classes, as well as musical theatre and 2 x associate programmes, which I would anticipate this would replace (almost all of the above), In the unlikely event she was successful. An idea of how many hours/days would be super helpful! 

Thank you so much. 

At level 1 they go after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can’t remember the exact times but it was something like 5-7.30. Then all day Saturday. But, they emphasised that each student gets a bespoke training schedule based on their needs etc. Then there’s intensives each school holiday, but not every day of the holiday. They have occasional family weekends throughout the year where they get the weekend off. I felt quite reassured that there is good communication between parents and staff so that other interests and family life are thought about too, they are also very aware of the distances some students travel. They can continue to attend other associates and local classes if they don’t clash with CAT. 

BUT, even with all that reassurance it’s still a huge commitment that we’ll take time to think about if DD gets a place. 

That’s all I can remember from the info given, I hope that helps. My DD goes to their open classes and my experience of the staff is that they are lovely, approachable and easy to get in touch with. It might be worth giving them a call for a chat maybe? 

19 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Thank you so much. 

My daughter is 13, she goes three nights a week and a Saturday. Three weeks in the summer holidays, half term in October was a day ( I think) and feb half term is three days, after that I’m not sure! My daughter gave everything else up at her local school apart from workshops as  on her two nights off she needed to do homework and rest! Hope that helps x

29 minutes ago, Damedolly said:

My daughter is 13, she goes three nights a week and a Saturday. Three weeks in the summer holidays, half term in October was a day ( I think) and feb half term is three days, after that I’m not sure! My daughter gave everything else up at her local school apart from workshops as  on her two nights off she needed to do homework and rest! Hope that helps x

Good timing! I was just looking to see who had DCs in the higher levels! I think @Tinks and @sunrise81 might have older DDs in higher levels too. 

My dd is in Level 1 as Year 6 at school. Have to admit that driving in to Leeds on a Tuesday and Thursday is a bit of a nightmare with traffic and the awful parking at the moment. But we manage ok. She is there those nights 5 til 7.30pm. Then Saturday 12.30 til 4.30pm.....but it it has now been extended til 6pm as they are rehearsing for end of year show. Intensive during holidays, and a couple of Sundaya too for extra rehearsals. But she loves it and has become so much of a stronger dancer.

My DD is 16 and this year does Monday Tues optional Thurs and Fri, all approx 5 - 8 plus all day sat (11.30 - 6 I think). Intensives are: a day in Oct half term, 2 weekdays Feb half term, 3/4 weekdays at Easter and 3 May half term plus couple of Sundays leading up to the show. The year starts with three weeks during the summer. They do get the occasional weekend off in term time, 4 or 5 overall.

Last year she did some work with the level 3s to build up her strength (that personalised timetable) and so was in on a wed. So if your child joins at level 1 and goes all the way through expect movement as to what evenings they do! 

As they get older lots who can use public transport do and she always walks to the station with other students, we collect when that isn't possible. 

She's made amazing friends, they often go out after class for birthday meals etc, they're a lovely supportive bunch. She is, despite being very tired esp as this is GCSE year, very very happy. And she has come on SO much in the year and a half she's been there. 

• Like 2

My daughter has been on the CAT scheme for 5 years and as others have said it is a huge commitment especially if you have a long distance to travel like we do. My daughter misses lessons from school two to three times a week to arrive on time for class and has had to miss full days to attend intensives if term times have not matched up. The staff are lovely and helpful but they do expect you to commit fully to the scheme especially the higher up the levels you go. My daughter loves the scheme, has made some amazing friendships and it is great to be taught by such amazing staff but she can become very tired at times especially after intensives.