Jump to content
HowMuch!

CAT open day Northern Ballet Leeds

Recommended Posts

Hello lovely people, are any of you going to the upcoming CAT open day? Or if anyone has been to one before and knows what the classes will be like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never went to the CAT open day. But my daughter is on the scheme in Level 1.and loves it. Miss Cara is fab, so they will have lots of fun I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is one of the Level 1 CAT students there tomorrow. She has to do thr same thing 5 times!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

My daughter is one of the Level 1 CAT students there tomorrow. She has to do thr same thing 5 times!!!!!

 

 

🙈🙈 will be lovely to have all those eager eyes looking up to her :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the Manchester one last year. Kids had a workshop and a little tour of The Lowry Theatre. My son loved it but he was still a bit young,  so maybe audition for it in the next few years.

I had a lovely coffee in the company of LS Lowry’s etchings! 😆😆 xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

I'm taking youngest DD tomorrow. She gets to watch her big sister's associates class which is a bonus! I think it'll be a fun morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Never went to the CAT open day. But my daughter is on the scheme in Level 1.and loves it. Miss Cara is fab, so they will have lots of fun I'm sure. 

My DD remembers Miss Cara from the open day last year, she’s so engaging! 
 

12 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Hi. My daughter and I are going over tomorrow for the open day but looking at the associate scheme rather than CAT due to where we live :)

Have fun today, we went last year and my DD enjoyed every minute. The CAT day sounds amazing this year too. My DD is a little anxious about the workshops/classes but I’m sure she’ll love it.

 

And, thank you everyone else too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

 

 

We remember these from last year! Delicious indeed!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

 

 

the cakeologist's cakes are fabulous  and close to home for the Northern Ballet Family  ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CAT open day was brilliant last year.’  They watched company class, miss Cara taught the children in a fantastic class and they had q&a with company dancers. It was a great experience. DD is a JA this year and very keen to join the CAT programme next year now shes old enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

The CAT open day was brilliant last year.’  They watched company class, miss Cara taught the children in a fantastic class and they had q&a with company dancers. It was a great experience. DD is a JA this year and very keen to join the CAT programme next year now shes old enough. 

It sounds like a great experience. X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2020 at 22:56, Streetdancer said:

I'm taking youngest DD tomorrow. She gets to watch her big sister's associates class which is a bonus! I think it'll be a fun morning.

 

We really enjoyed the day, we were first session I think and saw warm up and conditioning. The class looked very good and were very professional, must have been strange all those people watching :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2020 at 08:38, Jan McNulty said:

From Instagram it looks as though there are going to be some very delicious cupcakes available!

 

 

 

The cupcake went down very well!! A really good morning visit, I found it really informative and everyone seemed very friendly and helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

 

The cupcake went down very well!! A really good morning visit, I found it really informative and everyone seemed very friendly and helpful.

My DD is hoping for cupcakes at the CAT day next weekend! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were keen to go to this but had exam coaching classes she couldn’t miss last weekend, and the exam today!

 

Hopefully we can get there next year 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

We were keen to go to this but had exam coaching classes she couldn’t miss last weekend, and the exam today!

 

Hopefully we can get there next year 😊

I would highly recommend going next year! It was a lovely day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s good to hear, thank you @HowMuch! 😊 
 

Pleased you enjoyed it. Is your DD/DS applying for the CAT scheme? What age do they apply? Do they have an expected/minimum grade? Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

That’s good to hear, thank you @HowMuch! 😊 
 

Pleased you enjoyed it. Is your DD/DS applying for the CAT scheme? What age do they apply? Do they have an expected/minimum grade? Thank you! 

The earliest they can apply is Yr5 to start when they’re in yr6. No expected/minimum grade as they’re looking for potential but from the look of the girls today most were grade 3 and above. It feels very different to their associates where they’re looking for strength and ability. Last year DD got to finals for associates but was advised to reapply when stronger, she wasn’t old enough for CAT then so we’re hoping for success this year. DD is hoping for CAT! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good scheme, doing CAT for a year got our DD into vocational school. Big commitment though in terms of time from the rest of the family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

The earliest they can apply is Yr5 to start when they’re in yr6. No expected/minimum grade as they’re looking for potential but from the look of the girls today most were grade 3 and above. It feels very different to their associates where they’re looking for strength and ability. Last year DD got to finals for associates but was advised to reapply when stronger, she wasn’t old enough for CAT then so we’re hoping for success this year. DD is hoping for CAT! 

My youngest wanted to go but we had a show, my eldest joined the CAT scheme in September and loves it, the commitment is huge though. My youngest would love to join the scheme and wants to audition this time round now she’s old enough ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't reiterate enough the time commitment. Evenings, weekends and holidays for intensives. But, it's worth it. Small classes, tailored learning, the opportunity to train in the same building as a working company which I think is unique in this country, especially at lower school level and staying in mainstream education to give a good grounding for those that choose another path. DD didn't want to board and we are so lucky that she can get affordable vocational training and live at home. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen logistically, and as she didn't start until Y10 she has done a great deal of independent travel from the start thank goodness. But if you can make it work, do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Yrosered said:

I can't reiterate enough the time commitment. Evenings, weekends and holidays for intensives. But, it's worth it. Small classes, tailored learning, the opportunity to train in the same building as a working company which I think is unique in this country, especially at lower school level and staying in mainstream education to give a good grounding for those that choose another path. DD didn't want to board and we are so lucky that she can get affordable vocational training and live at home. But it takes a lot of work to make it happen logistically, and as she didn't start until Y10 she has done a great deal of independent travel from the start thank goodness. But if you can make it work, do. 

It is a huge commitment and certainly not one we’d take without thought. Part of me hopes if she’s successful during this years auditions, that she gets associates rather than CAT! But, it’s her dream so if CAT is a yes then we’ll make it work. We’ll take each step as it comes and enjoy the ride! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much @HowMuch! and everyone else. 
 

I am planning on contacting them myself, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how much (apart from a lot!) of a commitment it is. What does the timetable look like? Evenings after school (how many), weekend days and holidays? Just so I have an idea if that’s ok. 
 

DD has her usual ballet and other dance classes, as well as musical theatre and 2 x associate programmes, which I would anticipate this would replace (almost all of the above), In the unlikely event she was successful. An idea of how many hours/days would be super helpful! 
 

Thank you so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Thanks so much @HowMuch! and everyone else. 
 

I am planning on contacting them myself, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how much (apart from a lot!) of a commitment it is. What does the timetable look like? Evenings after school (how many), weekend days and holidays? Just so I have an idea if that’s ok. 
 

DD has her usual ballet and other dance classes, as well as musical theatre and 2 x associate programmes, which I would anticipate this would replace (almost all of the above), In the unlikely event she was successful. An idea of how many hours/days would be super helpful! 
 

Thank you so much. 

At level 1 they go after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can’t remember the exact times but it was something like 5-7.30. Then all day Saturday. But, they emphasised that each student gets a bespoke training schedule based on their needs etc. Then there’s intensives each school holiday, but not every day of the holiday. They have occasional family weekends throughout the year where they get the weekend off. I felt quite reassured that there is good communication between parents and staff so that other interests and family life are thought about too, they are also very aware of the distances some students travel. They can continue to attend other associates and local classes if they don’t clash with CAT. 
 

BUT, even with all that reassurance it’s still a huge commitment that we’ll take time to think about if DD gets a place. 
 

That’s all I can remember from the info given, I hope that helps. My DD goes to their open classes and my experience of the staff is that they are lovely, approachable and easy to get in touch with. It might be worth giving them a call for a chat maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Thanks so much @HowMuch! and everyone else. 
 

I am planning on contacting them myself, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me how much (apart from a lot!) of a commitment it is. What does the timetable look like? Evenings after school (how many), weekend days and holidays? Just so I have an idea if that’s ok. 
 

DD has her usual ballet and other dance classes, as well as musical theatre and 2 x associate programmes, which I would anticipate this would replace (almost all of the above), In the unlikely event she was successful. An idea of how many hours/days would be super helpful! 
 

Thank you so much. 

My daughter is 13, she goes three nights a week and a Saturday. Three weeks in the summer holidays, half term in October was a day ( I think) and feb half term is three days, after that I’m not sure! My daughter gave everything else up at her local school apart from workshops as  on her two nights off she needed to do homework and rest! Hope that helps x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Damedolly said:

My daughter is 13, she goes three nights a week and a Saturday. Three weeks in the summer holidays, half term in October was a day ( I think) and feb half term is three days, after that I’m not sure! My daughter gave everything else up at her local school apart from workshops as  on her two nights off she needed to do homework and rest! Hope that helps x

Good timing! I was just looking to see who had DCs in the higher levels! I think @Tinks and @sunrise81 might have older DDs in higher levels too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dd is in Level 1 as Year 6 at school. Have to admit that driving in to Leeds on a Tuesday and Thursday is a bit of a nightmare with traffic and the awful parking at the moment. But we manage ok. She is there those nights 5 til 7.30pm. Then Saturday 12.30 til 4.30pm.....but it it has now been extended til 6pm as they are rehearsing for end of year show. Intensive during holidays, and a couple of Sundaya too for extra rehearsals. But she loves it and has become so much of a stronger dancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...