Summer schools

Lemongirl

I am looking to find out about various summer school options in and around the London area. It's for my 10 year old dd (11 in May) who's a keen dancer.

She did LCB's summer school last year in Hammersmith which was good but I want to see what else is out there.

She hasn't done much in the way of dance other than ballet although she would be keen to try, but ballet would bethe main thing.

Unfortunately the Central School of Ballet, ENB and ISTD summer schools have age limits / minimum grade criteria which don't match your DD.

The RAD summer school at Roehampton and the Cecchetti summer school at Tring would be in her age / ability range and you do not have to be following their syllabus to participate.A summer school outside London which some dancing friends have done and would recommend is Sussex Summer School at Forest Row.

J x

I know a lot of local school in our area run summer schools. They often bring in external teachers and provide good quality training and are cheap in comparison to well known ones. However, I am not really sure how you would find out the good ones except by word of mouth.

Your local dance teacher may have some suggestions.

Edited by tutoo2much

The Tring Easter school is lovely for younger ones, I'm sure your DD would love it if she is ok with boarding (assuming you don't live nearby). The Ceccheti summer school is usually at Tring but I don't remember Tring ever running their own Summer School; in the past it's always been the Easter School and the Christmas weekend (another one my DD used to enjoy).

Edited for typo

Edited by spannerandpony

Tring ran a summer school last year for 3 days and 2 of my DDs attended. It was non boarding and on a first come first serve basis.

The level was very mixed, some girls had never done ballet, others were wonderfully good. My DDs, who danced between 13 and 15 hours a week mainly ballet and some contemporary and character, really enjoyed it. It was a 3 day course with ballet, contemporary, street dance, musical, character and repertoire... Quite a lot to fit in in 3 days!

The classes were very full as the school was quite overwhelmed by the number of students who wanted to attend. I was told there will be another course this summer but done a bit differently to avoid the problem of different levels. There is nothing on their website yet but it's supposed to come soon...

Thanks. Tring is definitely worth considering, but it's a shame it's only 3 days. Dd did the Christmas weekend there this Xmas just gone. The dancing was great but she also really enjoyed the boarding aspect! And the performance they put on on the last day was fantastic with limited rehearsal time.

Sussex Summer School looks good too but can't seem to find any info about it on the internet, only a phone number. I will phone tomorrow and find out.

Out of interest, what about Yorkshire Ballet in terms of age or exam requirements?

If not, then I would be inclined to do LCB again if your DD enjoyed it. Once they are older then I think it's more important to "do the rounds" of serious summer schools, but when DD was 10 we tended to repeat the ones she enjoyed.

Tring ran a summer school last year for 3 days and 2 of my DDs attended. It was non boarding and on a first come first serve basis.

The level was very mixed, some girls had never done ballet, others were wonderfully good. My DDs, who danced between 13 and 15 hours a week mainly ballet and some contemporary and character, really enjoyed it. It was a 3 day course with ballet, contemporary, street dance, musical, character and repertoire... Quite a lot to fit in in 3 days!

The classes were very full as the school was quite overwhelmed by the number of students who wanted to attend. I was told there will be another course this summer but done a bit differently to avoid the problem of different levels. There is nothing on their website yet but it's supposed to come soon...

The Tring Summer School is linked to Tring Park Associates and not the full-time school. It is run by Mary Schon and was piloted last year. I don't believe it was residential, although that may change this year.

• Like 1

I recommend Sussex Summer School especially for younger dancers. The atmosphere is professional but fun, and the teachers are experienced and supportive. My DD went there 5 years running from 8 to 12 and benefitted tremendously from the experience. It's a lovely venue too. We both miss it. (Don't be put off by the amateur website design)

• Like 1

Thanks all, the Sussex Summer School looks good. The situation has changed now though as dd has been offered a place with EYB in Aylesbury for the end of August which she's really delighted about so is doing that. I don't think either in terms of time or cost we could stretch to a summer school as well so that will have to wait till next year.

Thanks all, the Sussex Summer School looks good. The situation has changed now though as dd has been offered a place with EYB in Aylesbury for the end of August which she's really delighted about so is doing that. I don't think either in terms of time or cost we could stretch to a summer school as well so that will have to wait till next year.

Don't blame you Balletmum; we too are treating EYB as this year's summer school. DD is doing Central Easter course again this year so between that and EYB, that's plenty! :-)

Out of interest, what about Yorkshire Ballet in terms of age or exam requirements?

If not, then I would be inclined to do LCB again if your DD enjoyed it. Once they are older then I think it's more important to "do the rounds" of serious summer schools, but when DD was 10 we tended to repeat the ones she enjoyed.

From memory without looking it up, YBS requirements are age 11, minimum Grade 4. (just for info) x

• Like 1