12 minutes ago, alison said:

I don't have the libretto easily accessible, but I thought Onegin at one point early on sings about how dull it is in the country, waiting for his uncle to die?  And quite likely there may be some reference to Gremin and Tatiana's children later on.  RuthE will probably know.

You're right about the first part, though it's in the past tense; Onegin has been bored stiff by sitting at his uncle's deathbed, but the uncle is now dead.  There's no later reference in the opera to Tatyana and Gremin's children; Gremin simply tells Onegin that they have been married two years.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

But didn’t Cranko revise his ballet, omitting a prologue where Onegin was at his uncle’s deathbed and Tatiana kissing her children goodnight?

True. I don't know when exactly he cut them, he kept changing the ballet after the premiere. But they were gone in the new version which premiered in 1967.

• Like 1

Is there another cast change for tomorrow, Wed 12th February?  

I have seen Nunez & Bolle have been rehearsing Onegin today at ROH ...... (Instagram posts)

40 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Is there another cast change for tomorrow, Wed 12th February?  

I have seen Nunez & Bolle have been rehearsing Onegin today at ROH ...... (Instagram posts)

If my Spanish is correct this is a photo of Nela and Bolle dancing Onegin in Milan (“it was a beautiful night in Milan seeing Onegin ... those situations that remain there, saved as jewels” ) 

if i’m wrong then perhaps we’ll see them tomorrow night.... 

Edited by prs59

Not quite understanding this ...is it Nunez and Bolle tonight then? 

According to the ROH website, it’s Osipova and Clarke this evening. 

Yes I’ve just received the email ....it is Nunez and Bolle tonight! 

They’ve just updated the website, I really hoped they’d say ‘Bolle replacing Clarke replacing Muntagirov’ but they don’t mention Clarke at all 

• Like 1

Well this is interesting.   Is Reece injured?  

Or because Marianela is replacing Natalia, was she able to ask for Roberto Bolle to partner her?   I see Marianela’s current Onegin RB partner, Ryo Hirano is not available as he is performing elsewhere in Japan this week.

Nunez and Clarke danced memorably together on 7 February. The explanation refers to illness as an explanation for the cast changes (plural) and I don’t think there’s any need for conspiracy theories.

• Like 3

I don't think there are any conspiracy theories - but did someone imply that Nunez and Bolle had danced it together recently?  When is that Milan photo from?  It's not Tatiana's dress from the RB production.

• Like 2

I am so glad I got to see Clarke and Osipova together.  Amazing Marianela, dancing this ballet with three different partners over a very short run.  Quite a feat!  Whilst very sorry not to be seeing Clarke/Osipova tonight, I am very much looking forward to this pairing. 

• Like 5

Nuñez and Bolle recently danced Onegin together at La Scala.  You may remember they were rehearsing Onegin together in Milan on World Ballet Day 2019.

Marianela has explained on Instagram ...

She wishes Reece a speedy recovery, and says Roberto just happened to be at ROH to rehearse something else.  

Serendipity for the audience tonight!  Enjoy.  

• Like 2

Oh, how sad for Osipova and Clarke, especially given Nuñez and Clarke’s well-thought-of performance.  I am sorry to be missing Nuñez and Bolle together; what a treat! 

Sad not to see Osipova & Clarke tonight but couldn't ask for a better alternative cast! Very excited!

• Like 1

I have just E-mailed my ticket back to the Box Office and it should go on sale shortly, if anyone is interested:

Amphi S47 £25

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

I see Marianela’s current Onegin RB partner, Ryo Hirano is not available as he is performing elsewhere in Japan this week.

Wow he's busy....he only  got back from Tokyo  last week after this  http://www.royal-ballet-stars.jp/ ,  and then performed Onegin on Saturday.

Where is he performing in Japan this week? 

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Roberto just happened to be at ROH to rehearse something else.

Presumably something for the Spring Gala? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Presumably something for the Spring Gala? 

It’s unwise to presume anything 🤔

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

They’ve just updated the website, I really hoped they’d say ‘Bolle replacing Clarke replacing Muntagirov’ but they don’t mention Clarke at all 

this is what I got clicking on the link to casting on my e-ticket 

B56151F5-566C-46E1-A39F-2CF7456A1350.png

• Like 5

I wonder if the Eugenes will do one act each?! And maybe Nunez will run on to replace Osipova at an agreed moment in the ballet. :D 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I wonder if the Eugenes will do one act each?! And maybe Nunez will run on to replace Osipova at an agreed moment in the ballet. :D 

That reminds me of once reading about a performance of Tristan & Isolde which had a different Tristan for each act!

ETA Found the details of it, in case anyone is interested. http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BibSpeed/fullcit.w?xCID=183640

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

I feel very sad to not able to see Osipova.

I originally booked all Osipova&Vadim 3 casts because I feared maybe I would miss one. I was so looking forward to see Vadim as Onegin and I heard Osipova wonderful as Tatiana. Then it came the news of replacement of Clarke. Then I had to return my very good seat for the 1st show of Osipova&Clarke for a last minute booked travel...I really regret it now:( Should stay in London and fly on Sunday .

I love Bolle I love Nunez...

I am happy to see them tonight but I am feeling incredibly sad for not be able to see Osipova.

I still cherished memory of Maria Kochetkova in Onegin. She was wonderful. I forgot anything technical but still remember her way of gazing at Onegin, her vulnerability and the sadness in the air.  

• Like 3

Very sad to read this, particularly as I’m not going to tonight’s performance:

Well.... here it is, my third and final Gremin tonight and probably my last ever 🎖🤴🏼 #rohonegin @royaloperahouse - I realise the body clock is slowly ticking and there are plenty of young, fresh Prince Gremins in… instagram.com/p/B8ekAKMJIYh/…

Many thanks Gary Avis!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Very sad to read this, particularly as I’m not going to tonight’s performance:

Well.... here it is, my third and final Gremin tonight and probably my last ever 🎖🤴🏼 #rohonegin @royaloperahouse - I realise the body clock is slowly ticking and there are plenty of young, fresh Prince Gremins in… instagram.com/p/B8ekAKMJIYh/…

Many thanks Gary Avis!

Oh that is indeed sad! I hope he might in fact be able/willing to revisit the role if Onegin comes back soon. (And frankly I don't believe he has a body clock...).

• Like 7

So so envious of anyone going tonight, not getting the opportunity to see Nunez and Bolle in Onegin is a huge regret! Hope everyone enjoys the performance!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

That reminds me of once reading about a performance of Tristan & Isolde which had a different Tristan for each act!

ETA Found the details of it, in case anyone is interested. http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BibSpeed/fullcit.w?xCID=183640

That's awesome.  How great having them all rally round like that. 

it reminds me of the first ever opera I saw as a teenager.  It was Magic Flute done by Opera North.  Tamino had a really bad cold so he couldn't sing.  They'd found a tenor from ENO but he didn't know the staging so the chap with the cold walked through the opera (sneezing a couple of times) and the ENO tenor stood in the orchestra pit and did the singing.  As a teenager I thought it was amazingly cool having the voice coming from a different place from the action.  I think that's been my favourite opera ever since. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Oh that is indeed sad! I hope he might in fact be able/willing to revisit the role if Onegin comes back soon. (And frankly I don't believe he has a body clock...).

Gary Avis should definitely not be allowed to have a body clock, he's too amazing to do without  If he ever stops doing Rome and Juliet I will cry.  

• Like 4