• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I wonder if the Eugenes will do one act each?! And maybe Nunez will run on to replace Osipova at an agreed moment in the ballet. :D 

That reminds me of once reading about a performance of Tristan & Isolde which had a different Tristan for each act!

ETA Found the details of it, in case anyone is interested. http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BibSpeed/fullcit.w?xCID=183640

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

I feel very sad to not able to see Osipova.

I originally booked all Osipova&Vadim 3 casts because I feared maybe I would miss one. I was so looking forward to see Vadim as Onegin and I heard Osipova wonderful as Tatiana. Then it came the news of replacement of Clarke. Then I had to return my very good seat for the 1st show of Osipova&Clarke for a last minute booked travel...I really regret it now:( Should stay in London and fly on Sunday .

I love Bolle I love Nunez...

I am happy to see them tonight but I am feeling incredibly sad for not be able to see Osipova.

I still cherished memory of Maria Kochetkova in Onegin. She was wonderful. I forgot anything technical but still remember her way of gazing at Onegin, her vulnerability and the sadness in the air.  

• Like 3

Very sad to read this, particularly as I’m not going to tonight’s performance:

Well.... here it is, my third and final Gremin tonight and probably my last ever 🎖🤴🏼 #rohonegin @royaloperahouse - I realise the body clock is slowly ticking and there are plenty of young, fresh Prince Gremins in… instagram.com/p/B8ekAKMJIYh/…

Many thanks Gary Avis!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Very sad to read this, particularly as I’m not going to tonight’s performance:

Well.... here it is, my third and final Gremin tonight and probably my last ever 🎖🤴🏼 #rohonegin @royaloperahouse - I realise the body clock is slowly ticking and there are plenty of young, fresh Prince Gremins in… instagram.com/p/B8ekAKMJIYh/…

Many thanks Gary Avis!

Oh that is indeed sad! I hope he might in fact be able/willing to revisit the role if Onegin comes back soon. (And frankly I don't believe he has a body clock...).

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

That reminds me of once reading about a performance of Tristan & Isolde which had a different Tristan for each act!

ETA Found the details of it, in case anyone is interested. http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=BibSpeed/fullcit.w?xCID=183640

That's awesome.  How great having them all rally round like that. 

it reminds me of the first ever opera I saw as a teenager.  It was Magic Flute done by Opera North.  Tamino had a really bad cold so he couldn't sing.  They'd found a tenor from ENO but he didn't know the staging so the chap with the cold walked through the opera (sneezing a couple of times) and the ENO tenor stood in the orchestra pit and did the singing.  As a teenager I thought it was amazingly cool having the voice coming from a different place from the action.  I think that's been my favourite opera ever since. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Oh that is indeed sad! I hope he might in fact be able/willing to revisit the role if Onegin comes back soon. (And frankly I don't believe he has a body clock...).

Gary Avis should definitely not be allowed to have a body clock, he's too amazing to do without  If he ever stops doing Rome and Juliet I will cry.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

it reminds me of the first ever opera I saw as a teenager.  It was Magic Flute done by Opera North.  Tamino had a really bad cold so he couldn't sing.  They'd found a tenor from ENO but he didn't know the staging so the chap with the cold walked through the opera (sneezing a couple of times) and the ENO tenor stood in the orchestra pit and did the singing.  As a teenager I thought it was amazingly cool having the voice coming from a different place from the action.  I think that's been my favourite opera ever since. 

One voiceless singer acting & another singing from the pit/wings seems to be a surprisingly common occurance for opera. I've seen it at least half a dozen times, including a couple of times at the ROH. I've also seen an ASM have to do the acting because the scheduled singer was too ill even to walk the role. Of course it's not something that can be done for ballets!

• Like 3

Just now, Dawnstar said:

One voiceless singer acting & another singing from the pit/wings seems to be a surprisingly common occurance for opera. I've seen it at least half a dozen times, including a couple of times at the ROH. I've also seen an ASM have to do the acting because the scheduled singer was too ill even to walk the role. Of course it's not something that can be done for ballets!

Watching the ASM doing the acting must be interesting to say the least.  Were they any good in the role?  I thought it was a really impressive solution when I saw the phenomenon in my first opera and it's what hooked me on the opera ever since. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shade said:

Very sad that my long planned trip to see Onegin has been subject to the cast changes. It is not what I booked for so I returned the ticket. 

Hope it's a great performance for everyone. 

Well, that’s a shame. You might have enjoyed it had you chosen to go. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

Watching the ASM doing the acting must be interesting to say the least.  Were they any good in the role?  I thought it was a really impressive solution when I saw the phenomenon in my first opera and it's what hooked me on the opera ever since. 

It was actually 2 roles on consecutive nights! She was very good. I imagine she must have been to drama school & had acting training before going in for backstage work. The only slight problem was she was quite petite, one of the roles was a trouser role, & she was playing opposite a singer in the female role who was about half a head taller!

• Like 1

A second very intense and moving performance from Nunez in this demanding role in one week- I am very impressed! and it was great to see her rapport with Bolle.  An excellent performance from all concerned and much applause and cheering from a happy audience- drained, but happy I should say..

That curtain call was a memorable one.

Ball and Hayward were perfect- lived up to all the good reviews on this thread and some.

And I must mention Gary Avis's wonderfully deep and subtle performance.

• Like 10

On 10/02/2020 at 09:29, Angela said:

In Pushkin's stanza XLVI, by the way, we also find Tatyana's words how unhappy she is as a princess in St. Petersburg.

Last night I saw Onegin - at least this is what it looked like to me - performing a card trick to Olga and Lensky during the family ball at the beginning of Act 2. I never noticed this before (my eyes are usually elsewhere during this music but Bolle kept me focussed) Does anyone know if this comes from Pushkin?  

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Last night I saw Onegin - at least this is what it looked like to me - performing a card trick to Olga and Lensky during the family ball at the beginning of Act 2. I never noticed this before (my eyes are usually elsewhere during this music but Bolle kept me focussed) Does anyone know if this comes from Pushkin?  

I’ll ask my daughter, Geoff; she’s studying Pushkin this year.  I noticed Soares doing the same card trick. 

8 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I’ll ask my daughter, Geoff; she’s studying Pushkin this year.  I noticed Soares doing the same card trick. 

Apparently it’s not in the poem - the green card tables are brought out after dinner, those who wish to partake play eight rounds of whist, changing places with each round.  Nothing specific.  Does it happen in the opera? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mary said:

A second very intense and moving performance from Nunez in this demanding role in one week- I am very impressed! and it was great to see her rapport with Bolle.  An excellent performance from all concerned and much applause and cheering from a happy audience- drained, but happy I should say..

That curtain call was a memorable one.

Ball and Hayward were perfect- lived up to all the good reviews on this thread and some.

And I must mention Gary Avis's wonderfully deep and subtle performance.

Oh my gosh.... what a dream dream cast!!!

I saw Nunez on Sat night & was utterly blown away. Rest of cast great too (& wonderful to see a ballet where the corps get to perform challenging with dramatic lifts choreography!)..... but if only I could’ve made this cast too as it had ALL my favourites! Is there another performance withit’s that casting does anyone know? I will beg, borrow or steal to get a ticket 😂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Apparently it’s not in the poem - the green card tables are brought out after dinner, those who wish to partake play eight rounds of whist, changing places with each round.  Nothing specific.  Does it happen in the opera? 

No, though there would be no reason why a director couldn't include it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alison said:

Hmm, a dissenting voice here, but I think I preferred last week's performance.  Whether that's down to something as random as a viewing angle/position, I don't know.

I don't think it's a dissenting voice. One's opinions are influenced by so many things - your empathy with a particular performer, your state of mind/health, even if you've had a lousy journey to get to the theatre! Personally, there are some dancers I just can't seem to relate to , nothing to do with their technical ability, and your preference for one performance over another, especially in a ballet with a pretty high emotional content and four main characters is, to my mind, perfectly justified.

• Like 9

When first Vadim Muntagirov, and then  Natalia Osipova, were replaced I was rather disappointed. But the cast we had last night with Marianela Nunez and Roberto Bolle was I thought outstanding. It is such a passionate ballet and the two leads were wonderful. This was the first ballet I ever saw, about 12 years ago, and it was the thing that opened my eyes to dance, which I'd never really been interested in. So "Onegin" is special for me - but I do also think it is special in its own right. Anyway, I was prepared to be disappointed and I was in fact blown away again. Fabulous. Aren't we lucky, in London, to have so many great dancers, musicians, theatres, conductors, producers, designers etc etc etc? I do feel very privileged.

• Like 14

In my view a phenomenal performance from the whole cast last night. Seems wrong to pick out Nunez/Bolle but their chemistry and dancing was electric. I saw them do this same ballet in Milan last autumn, so was so excited to get another chance to see them - and as Roberto Bolle said on Instagram that he got to play Onegin one more time, I am assuming this was the last performance in these roles for these 2 as a partnership.  I was in Row E so had a marvellous view of their faces and emotions. Curtain calls were just so lovely.   

It never ceases to amaze me how uplifting ballet can be and what joy it can bring, especially sometimes when work or personal stuff are not so good.  

I think Marianela and Roberto surpassed even their Milan performances and as for the entire company - well the Royal Ballet are streets ahead of the production I saw in Milan - which was perfectly acceptable, I hasten to add.  

• Like 16