• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Bennet Gartside played Gremin with very considerable distinction when he was really young.

I'm glad to be reminded that the previous outings for Onegin were in 2013 and 2015. That could mean that we won't have to wait as long as 5 years before it returns after this run.

• Like 2

Thanks Rob!
I thought this  was a tour de force from Nunez who seems to understand the role of Tatiana so well and danced all those difficult movements so perfectly!

And a wonderful, supportive debut from Hirano who judged Onegin's character really well and acted  and danced with great subtlety.  

Edmonds was also pretty fine in his own debut as Lensky, partnering  the wonderful, fluid, airy and joyful classical dancing of Takada as Olga. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Thanks Rob!
I thought this  was a tour de force from Nunez who seems to understand the role of Tatiana so well and danced all those difficult movements so perfectly!

And a wonderful, supportive debut from Hirano who judged Onegin's character really well and acted  and danced with great subtlety.  

Edmonds was also pretty fine in his own debut as Lensky, partnering  the wonderful, fluid, airy and joyful classical dancing of Takada as Olga. 

Edmonds has danced Lensky before, in the 2015 run.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, capybara said:

Isn't Takada absolutely glorious as Olga? I recall her getting a Critic's Circle Award for her performance in this role in 2013 - no wonder!

Yes she is so lovely in this! In my mind, at least, she DOES get some sort of  Award for her beautiful performance.

Looking forward to seeing her again in February...meanwhile I hope she enjoys the RB Gala in Tokyo  at the end of this month, having unfortunately missed RB's Japan tour last summer.

• Like 6

On 21/01/2020 at 08:01, annamk said:

Thank you FioneE. 

So glad someone has posted about Donnelly, I wasn't able to make the performance so was really keen to hear  how he did. He's had very few opportunities in soloist roles, his last big one was The Invitation in which I thought he danced neatly with musicality and gave a thoughtful and intelligent character  portrayal. 

As you say, so nice to see him given such a prominent role and he was excellent. Hopefully onwards and upwards for him !

3 hours ago, MJW said:

As you say, so nice to see him given such a prominent role and he was excellent. Hopefully onwards and upwards for him !

On 20/01/2020 at 23:12, FionaE said:

The standout performance for me of all 3 casts was David Donnelly as Lensky.  His final solo before the duel was incredibly moving.  I knew he had fabulous technique (beautiful developpes, pirouettes and jumps, luscious movements), but I didn’t know he could portray emotion like this.  So so wonderful.  I will never forget it.  I can’t stop thinking about it.  

I too enjoyed David Donnelly’s performance at the matinee of 18th January.  I thought he had wonderful musicality,  he was able to project the emotions up to the amphitheatre and had beautiful technique.  However, this was all spoilt for me unfortunately by his noisy landings. Such a shame and a schoolboy error for me. He had great plié and good feet but he didn’t use either on his jumps/landings. 

Meaghan Grace Hinkis captured such a delightful portrayal of Olga, I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.

I loved Cranko’s choreography. Tricky pdd’s but interesting to see a move where the dancers partner adds an extra tempo within the step to whip the dancer round his body (not explaining this well at all but have absolutely no idea what it would be called, sorry!). 

I’m very envious of you all who can attend multiple performances. 

• Like 1

“I too enjoyed David Donnelly’s performance at the matinee of 18th January.  I thought he had wonderful musicality,  he was able to project the emotions up to the amphitheatre and had beautiful technique.  However, this was all spoilt for me unfortunately by his noisy landings. Such a shame and a schoolboy error for me. He had great plié and good feet but he didn’t use either on his jumps/landings.”

I’ve had a ludicrously busy week and although I’ve formulated thoughts on the Onegin matinee and the ENB Saturday night Gala I’ve not yet committed in writing, but I have to agree with Allegro re the noisy landings. It was particularly noticeable next to Thiago Soares who doesn’t now in technical terms have the younger dancer’s pliancy but was much more disciplined in such matters. And, I’ll try to write at more length, I thought Mendizabal was wonderful.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 11:17, Lizbie1 said:

Pn the subject of Gremin’s age: IIRC, he’s supposed to be about 60, so I’ve always had the rather insensitive thought that the true test of Onegin’s affection would be to see whether he’d wait for Tatyana until Gremin snuffed it!

Pushkin never specified how old Gremin was and his interaction with Onegin right before he saw Tatiana again would suggest they were fairly close in age. My guess would be he is around 40.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Allegro said:

Meaghan Grace Hinkis captured such a delightful portrayal of Olga, I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.

Yes - I'll be totally honest and say Hinkis is not a favourite dancer of mine, but in this role I think she's perfect.

11 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’ve had a ludicrously busy week and although I’ve formulated thoughts on the Onegin matinee and the ENB Saturday night Gala I’ve not yet committed in writing, but I have to agree with Allegro re the noisy landings. It was particularly noticeable next to Thiago Soares who doesn’t now in technical terms have the younger dancer’s pliancy but was much more disciplined in such matters. And, I’ll try to write at more length, I thought Mendizabal was wonderful.

I wish I'd known you were there! I agree, Mendizabal was terrific.

• Like 1

A review of the Nunez/Hirano/Takada/Edmonds cast which I don't think has been picked up yet by the  Dance Links forum...

https://www.thejc.com/culture/dance/dance-review-onegin-1.495757

Interestingly I note Takada first danced Olga back in 2010 when  a First Artist, and just two years into her RB career.  It seems to have been rather a "breakout" role for her, helping  her later progression.....Anyway she must be one of the most experienced Company members  for  Onegin now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

A review of the Nunez/Hirano/Takada/Edmonds cast which I don't think has been picked up yet by the  Dance Links forum...

https://www.thejc.com/culture/dance/dance-review-onegin-1.495757

Interestingly I note Takada first danced Olga back in 2010 when  a First Artist, and just two years into her RB career.  It seems to have been rather a "breakout" role for her, helping  her later progression.....Anyway she must be one of the most experienced Company members  for  Onegin now. 

Takada was paired with Muntagirov in the last run (2015) IIRC. I especially loved her with Bracewell in Swan Lake in 2018 but a partnership with Vadim in other ballets would be equally alluring.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, capybara said:

Takada was paired with Muntagirov in the last run (2015) IIRC. I especially loved her with Bracewell in Swan Lake in 2018 but a partnership with Vadim in other ballets would be equally alluring.

Yes indeed, and they do have form....she was paired with Vadim in The Sleeping Beauty and Don Quixote in 2014, and  in Swan Lake 2015. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Allegro said:

I too enjoyed David Donnelly’s performance at the matinee of 18th January.  I thought he had wonderful musicality,  he was able to project the emotions up to the amphitheatre and had beautiful technique.  However, this was all spoilt for me unfortunately by his noisy landings. Such a shame and a schoolboy error for me. He had great plié and good feet but he didn’t use either on his jumps/landings. 

I loved Cranko’s choreography. Tricky pdd’s but interesting to see a move where the dancers partner adds an extra tempo within the step to whip the dancer round his body (not explaining this well at all but have absolutely no idea what it would be called, sorry!). 

I’m very envious of you all who can attend multiple performances. 

I’ve booked again for 22nd February so I will see if he has softened his landings !

• Like 1

20 hours ago, capybara said:

Facebook tells me that on this day five years ago, I (and no doubt many others on this forum) saw double-Onegin, with Mendizabal/Kish/Stix-Brunell/Edmonds/Stepanek in the afternoon (from a front-row seat, as I recall - ah, for the days when you could get good seats for a reasonable price at matinees...) and Nunez/Soares/Takada/Muntagirov/Hirano in the evening :wub:

• Like 7

On 20/01/2020 at 12:06, pasdedeux said:

Late to the party, but I thought the Saturday evening performance was really memorable - not faultless, but very, very enticing.

Even later to the party (new to the forum and still exploring!) but I saw the same cast, and my comments were almost exactly the same as yours. It would be unfair of me to compare Reece's debut to dancers with much more experience in the role, but as a fan of his since his RBS days, I'm sure he will mature brilliantly into it. 

I'm hoping to snap up some tickets for Anna Rose's debut later in the run. 

Rather sad that Laura Morera's Tatiana and Yuhui Choe's Olga won't be seen this run :(

• Like 4