36 minutes ago, Silke H said:

@Rob I think Thiago kissed the curtain one last time, just like he kept touching the stage floor.  🙂

Ahh, yes I got the final kiss of the curtain...there was something slightly earlier which I may have been thinking of as I've got pics of him standing next to the right curtain earlier but can't see wht he was doing as I was too busy trying to get a better exposure, one person dressed in black never makes for a decent pic when you are using spot metering!😆

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Thank you Bridiem was a wonderful description of last night's performance. I wish I could write like that!

I've always loved watching Soares' interpretation of the dramatic roles and he didn't disappoint last night. I will so miss him in these ballets as I found watching his facial expressions and gestures almost mesmerising.  I first saw him quite by chance as the prince in the Sleeping Beauty when he replaced I think Jonathan Cope, and although I had never heard of him at that point, was very much struck by his stage presence. I then looked for him subsequently and it wasn't long before I was booking specifically to see him.  Other male Principals may have more technical bravura but Thiago always added something special which made his characters alive and fascinating.  He's also a great partner.  

Last night was a very fitting end to a marvellous career and the perfect final flower throw, speech by Kevin O'Hare and company celebration.   Also lovely to read Marianela Nunez's tweet of celebration for him on Twitter.  

I've sated myself in Onegin's  - 4 in the last 8 days and have loved this run. When I first saw it many years ago, I found parts of it a little dull, but I think the Royal Ballet have so upped their game in all departments, this last run has been exceptional.  Oh well, on to Swan Lake I suppose. 

Thanks JennyTaylor - I just had to try and express my feelings about the performance. I SO wish now that I had booked more often for Soares. More fool me!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Ahh, yes I got the final kiss of the curtain...there was something slightly earlier which I may have been thinking of as I've got pics of him standing next to the right curtain earlier but can't see wht he was doing as I was too busy trying to get a better exposure, one person dressed in black never makes for a decent pic when you are using spot metering!😆

I couldn't get any photos at all when Soares was in front of the curtains because of the standing ovation. I always seem to get stuck with really tall people in front of me at performances when there are standing ovations, it was the same at a concert I was at last week. I could barely see Soares, let alone get my camera to do anything.

• Like 1

It’s been a great run of Onegins and I do very much hope we will see it brought back without too long a wait.  We’ve seen a number of final performances - Avis, Gartside and Soares.  I trust we haven’t seen Bonelli’s final Onegin, nor for that matter Morera’s Tatiana by omission this run.  We’ve seen some impressive debuts - Clarke, Naghdi, Hayward, O’Sullivan, Sissens, and Bjorneboe Braendsrod.

We’ve also enjoyed some tremendous performances where the entire cast have seemed so well matched: for me the first night cast with Clarke and Osipova; that casts’ second performance, with Clarke and Nunez; and Bonelli’s/Naghdi’s final performance.  And last night’s memorable finale with Soares was such a fitting way to end this run and bring down the curtain on his Royal Ballet career, with Mendizabel’s Tatiana.

I’ve been really impressed with how believable the sisters have been - Osipova/Hayward; Nunez with Takada and Hayward; and Naghdi/O’Sullivan. It’s made the dual scene more compelling and the anguish Onegin feels as he crumbles before us at the end of Act 2.  Perhaps it’s my not remembering previous Tatianas/Olgas but I don’t recall being so convinced by sisters in previous runs.

I was very taken with Ball’s and Sissen’s Lensky and their Olgas - Hayward and O’Sullivan.

Like many I prefer an older Gremin and we’ve been spoiled by Avis and Gartside.  But of course they have been dancing Gremin for many years and I wonder when they made their debuts whether there were similar comments about the desirability of an older Gremin.  Having sad that I was certainly impressed by Bjorneboe Braendsrod last night.

Onegin works when we see a sympathetic character who Tatiana would feel genuinely conflicted over in Act 3.  Both Bonelli and Soares imbued their Onegins with real depth and their final scenes with Naghdi and Mendizabel were astonishing.  And I’ll look forward to seeing how Clarke develops his Onegin in future runs.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

We’ve seen a number of final performances - Avis, Gartside and Soares. 

I meant to ask earlier: is it definite that this was Gartside's last-ever performance as Gremin, rather than that it was his last of the run?  I mean, Avis I can understand, but Gartside is quite a bit younger than him, and it came as very unexpected.

9 minutes ago, alison said:

I meant to ask earlier: is it definite that this was Gartside's last-ever performance as Gremin, rather than that it was his last of the run?  I mean, Avis I can understand, but Gartside is quite a bit younger than him, and it came as very unexpected.

Bennet Gartside put this on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9AsW1KgEhM/?igshid=22s2amftjhxx

1 hour ago, Silke H said:

@alison @Jan McNulty  the file size is indeed too large, "error" message said so.  I guess I'm taking too high a resolution photos  🤷‍♀️

Also, I found that if you've posted a few pics in the past then you run out of allotted space.  It's an ongoing allocation apparently, not just a certain size allowed per post.  Hence I've stopped posting photos here. 

10 minutes ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Also, I found that if you've posted a few pics in the past then you run out of allotted space.  It's an ongoing allocation apparently, not just a certain size allowed per post.  Hence I've stopped posting photos here. 

yes, users of the forum are allocated a certain amount of disc space on Invision's servers. Once that is used up, you'd have to delete old messages (or rather, get the mods to do it, which I can assume would not be a popular task).

The other way is to post a link to a photo hosting site such as Flickr. You could then post as many as you like

• Like 4