5 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

So did I! Although most of her duels aren't fatal, as the protaganists are decent enough to delope or aim somewhere non-lethal. I wonder why Onegin doesn't do that, given Lenksy is supposed to be his friend & he seems reluctant to accept his challenge, you'd think he'd try not to kill him.

From everything I've read about duelling, deloping - firing into the air - meant an admission of guilt* and aiming to miss was considered very bad form as it implied contempt for the opponent. I know it sounds pretty odd to the modern mind, but duelling itself is pretty weird if you ask me!

IIRC at least some of the Heyer duels had one duellist aiming merely to injure rather than miss entirely - I imagine that was considered an acceptable fudge.

One other point of interest is that if both duellists missed the first time, they would then very often have another go, as happened in the Castlereagh/Canning duel. So even if Onegin had tried to miss, that wouldn't necessarily have been the end of the matter.

*The Earl of Winchilsea deloped in his duel with the Duke of Wellington, then issued a formal apology.

Edited by Lizbie1
Forgot to mention the Winchilsea delopement
  • Like 2

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The article in the winter issue of the ROH magazine has interesting comments by both Soares  and Bonelli on the character of Onegin.I'm inclined to agree with JohnS and his comments about Onegin. Tatiana wouldn't be the first lady to totally fall for someone who is somewhat unsuitable, and of course her change from being the studious young girl to an assured mature lady is bound to make him realise what he has missed!

• Like 4

Oh my. Oh my.  What a deeply moving experience Act 3 was tonight.  We all cried with Miss Naghdi at the end. Stunning performance.  What chemistry between her and Federico Bonelli.  They made every emotion totally believable from start to finish.  Lovely from all the cast, but tonight belonged to them.  And to all of us. 

• Like 14

What a phenomenal performance tonight from Naghdi and Bonelli. Even more satisfying than the wonderful Nunez/Clarke performance I saw 2 weeks ago, because the chemistry between these two was evident and they matched each other in terms of their complete absorption in their roles and in each other and the incredible level of their artistry. Desperately moving at the end, and they were greeted by a huge roar from the audience at the curtain call. O'Sullivan was an excellent Olga and Sissens a promising Lensky. All the pas de deux in this ballet are so beautiful, interesting, intriguing, moving, fascinating, expressive, poetic. What a ballet, and what a performance.

• Like 18

Yasmine Naghdi's pas de deux with Bennett Gartside was totally heartbreaking! She was so tender and elegant, but no smiling, she had accepted her destiny. A pas de deux I'll never ever forget. Her last pas de deux with Bonelli really made me cry, it was deeply moving. Naghdi's transition from a naive young girl in love to married woman was amazing, and every emotion was readable on her face. An overwhelming and outstanding performance from Naghdi/Bonelli, she visibly poured her heart and soul in this ballet. 

The whole cast was great, O'Sullivan and Sissens were also wonderful as Olga and Lensky but Naghdi was phenomenal and the night belonged to her. I am really looking forward to catching her last Tatiana on Monday. The huge roars from the audience said it all.

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, Shade said:

I enjoyed the beauty of the dancing last night but my emotions were mostly unstirred, with the exception of Lensky’s death. It was all a bit ‘meh’. 

Isn't this forum great 😆

• Like 3

As usual, it would be interesting to know where in the auditorium people were sitting, and whether that affected their reactions.  I think my reaction to The Cellist probably suffered by being too far away from the stage, for example.

1 hour ago, alison said:

As usual, it would be interesting to know where in the auditorium people were sitting, and whether that affected their reactions.  I think my reaction to The Cellist probably suffered by being too far away from the stage, for example.

I think it certainly does. I’m in the stalls for tonight’s Onegin compared to the GT earlier in the run.

I went to see Thiago Soares and Itziar Mendizabal last night and loved it.  I've seen Thiago in this role many times and he never fails to move me. It was also lovely to see Itziar being given a chance to shine in this major role. The last pdd was electric. 

I was interested to see the contrast between the Roberto Bolle and Thiago's characterization of Onegin. Bolle was far nastier, condescending. With Thiago there's a much finer line between the pleasant and the unpleasant, which makes it easier to believe why Tatiana still loves him at the end, despite everything that has happened. His final performance next week is going to be very emotional but the perfect part for him to make his exit.  

• Like 14

I completely agree, Jenny - Thiago has always been my favourite Onegin for the very reason that his characterisation is so nuanced and 'layered'. He brings so much to it. Next Saturday will certainly be very emotional! I shall miss him.

Edited by J_New
  • Like 6

I am very much looking forward to next Saturday.  I would say Onegin and Rudolf have been Thiago’s best roles, and it is wholly appropriate for him to end his RB career with one of them.  I loved Itziar last time around so am also looking forward to seeing her again as Tatiana.  

• Like 11

Thiago Soares was my first Onegin and this ballet has drawn me to attending ballet (I had only been to the Nutcracker) and to the company. Before then, I never realised ballet could be *sexy* Lately I lost my interest in the RB (or going to the ROH more specifically, so expensive yet so uncomfortable) but still was determined to see him. Thiago was just as wonderful as when I first saw him in this ballet, and I'll miss him very much. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Sim said:

I am very much looking forward to next Saturday.  I would say Onegin and Rudolf have been Thiago’s best roles, and it is wholly appropriate for him to end his RB career with one of them.  I loved Itziar last time around so am also looking forward to seeing her again as Tatiana.  

I agree, Sim.  I’m so glad I managed to see Thiago as Onegin this run.  I’ll miss his Onegin and his Rudolf very much indeed.

As an aside, David Donnelly’s Lensky with this cast was brilliant. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't normally book to see the same cast in a run, but as I was so impressed with Thiago Soares, Itziar Mendizabel and David Donnelly (plus the added advantage of an early start of 7pm!) I decided to book again, and am so glad I did. 

There is always the danger of a second time around that it might not be as good as one remembers but thankfully it was. I was much closer to the stage this time so was able to see the cast's facial expressions which I think is particularly important in something like Onegin. All the cast were excellent and I'm particularly pleased to see David Donnelly doing so well in such a major role. Hopefully onwards and upwards for him!

Barring the glam Russian couple sitting next to me who kept whispering to each other during the first Act, it was a splendid evening. Just  a shame it isn't filmed !

By the way did anyone see the chap in the top hat and white tie?

• Like 4

I agree with the comments above about last night's performance.  It was really nice to see Itziar Mendizabal dance a main rather than supporting role and I thought she easily demonstrated why we should see it more often, with some beautiful dancing and very convincing acting. I was with someone who hadn't seen the ballet before and by the end of the mirror pas de deux she was in tears already!

Thiago Soares was in full command here, as others have mentioned, and I thought he gave a detailed, thought provoking performance.  For instance for the first time, in the 'tearing of the letter' scene, he managed to make me feel that Tatiana had to some extent put him in a difficult position, whereas usually my focus and sympathy is all with her because Onegin is generally made to seem so cold and cruel here.  Soares managed to convey an almost-hesitation and at least consideration of the impact his rejection will have,  as well as how to deliver it, that gave the scene a distinctly different impact for me. 

We both fell a little bit in love with David Donnelly's Lensky (always my favourite character anyway). He looks so much the part, acted well and his dancing was just glorious.  Meaghan Grace Hinkis is also very suited to Olga, her portrayal just that little bit more callous during the ballroom scene where she flirts with Onegin than some others. I thought she and Donnelly danced very well together, with a shared musicality that made much of the nuance of the beautiful music, and he made her appear to practically float during their pdds.

I am very glad I had the opportunity to see this cast, as well as the couple in full evening dress - behind them in the extremely long queue to retrieve coats!  I was wondering if we might be treated to a bit of a Fred Astaire number while we waited!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, MJW said:

By the way did anyone see the chap in the top hat and white tie?

Oh I saw him in the loos before the start....I assumed he was just using the ROH facilities on his way to somewhere frightfully posh

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MJW said:

Is he? I've never seen him before - I'm afraid I couldn't help a smirk and shake of the head when I saw him the cafe!

From the ROH website:

Is there a dress code?

There is no dress code – feel free to dress up or down.

I have attended performances at which audience members of all ages & sexes have worn all manner of dress be it up, down or sideways. I see this as a visual representation of the wide appeal of ballet and opera to a hugely diverse audience. Surely that’s something to be celebrated and cherished rather than smirked at? 

Edited by prs59
Additional comment
  • Like 11

I think it is wonderful when people really get dressed up.  I love getting in to a posh frock, and the only reason I don't do it normally is because I think I might be subjected to astonished stares and muttered  comments along the lines of, "Look at her.  Who does she think she is!"  

• Like 1