• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

May I ask who this is? As there's no-one with this surname in the current RB company. Is she a former dancer returned to guest, like Hayley Foskitt did in SB recently?

Sian Murphy -- an Assistant Ballet Mistress and former First Artist at the RB.

• Like 2

A great start to the Onegin run even if opening night is tonight. Fabulous performances from Thiago Soares and Itziar Mendizabal and is there a more moving expression of love in marriage than the Tatiana/Gremin PDD in Act 3? 

I enjoyed Tomas Mock’s Gremin and David Donnelly’s Lensky.  Onegin’s pistol worked in the dual (it hadn’t at the General Rehearsal).   Meaghan Grace Hinkis was well received although I think we’ll be really spoiled with the Olgas to come.

A lovely gesture at curtain call with Itziar taking her leave of Thiago for the audience to show their appreciation for the many years he’s given the Royal Ballet.

I feel as if I’ve already gone through the wringer several tines over the last 30 hours (including the ENB Gala) but am very much looking forward to opening night.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I realise this is an awfully shallow reaction but my goodness is Reece Clarke stunningly good looking as Onegin! Tatiana's immediate infatuation is perfectly understandable!

Ha ha, I thought exactly the same as you, Dawnstar!  And he suddenly looks more mature, in the best possible way.

• Like 3

Oh. My. Gosh.  What a stunning, sublime and very special performance tonight.  Osipova absolutely wonderful,  Clarke made a very effective and emotional Onegin, and Hayward and Ball were beautiful in their roles.  Avis a warm and loving Gremin. Real emotional connection and chemistry between the two leads made the story so believable and the sad denouement so deeply affecting. What a lump I had in my throat.   So much more to say, but I have to calm down and drive my car!  I am on such a high I am not making much sense, but THIS is why I love ballet.  

• Like 26

This evening was my first time seeing the ballet version of Onegin live. The choreography, production & performances I thought were all terrific. Reece Clarke was unbelievably brilliant in his Onegin debut! Natalia Osipova, Matthew Ball, Francesca Hayward & Gary Avis were all excellent too. In fact I'm now slightly apprehensive in case the other 3 casts won't manage to be as good! 

The only thing I found a bit disappointing was the music, which I didn't find as good as the music of the opera. In fact right now it's a melody from the opera that's going through my head rather than anything from the ballet! I think it's because of the music that, while I was moved to goosebumps at several points, I wasn't moved to tears. (Unlike the similarly-constructed Manon score which had me sobbing through that final pdd every time last year.)

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Sim said:

Oh. My. Gosh.  What a stunning, sublime and very special performance tonight.  Osipova absolutely wonderful,  Clarke made a very effective and emotional Onegin, and Hayward and Ball were beautiful in their roles.  Avis a warm and loving Gremin. Real emotional connection and chemistry between the two leads made the story so believable and the sad denouement so deeply affecting. What a lump I had in my throat.  

I hope I'll have more success in getting a ticket for one of this cast's other performances than I have this time around!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

How come "opening night" is tonight? Surely the opening show and #1 cast was the matinee I saw this afternoon? If not I feel that rather devalues the cast this afternoon. 

'opening night' is when the press critics are given tickets to review the show (though some were at both shows today). The 'press night' cast, is usually stacked with Principals, and press photographers often get to photo a special 'pre-general' full stage call rehearsal (of said press night cast). That's how it usually works anyway

• Like 1

Tonight's show was indeed pretty spectacular. Hats off to Reece Clarke in his debut as Onegin; how he changed from oh so superior in the first 2 acts, to a forlorn mess in act 3, seemingly unable to believe how he managed to blow it so completely. The other leads in this cast (Natalia Osipova, Matthew Ball and Francesca Hayward (and Gary Avis as Gremin)) also delivered and then some, in their individual roles - but you have to say it was one of those nights when the whole was most definitely larger than the sum of the parts.  If forced to chose, I'd have to say the night belonged to Reece though!

• Like 23

8 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Tonight's show was indeed pretty spectacular. Hats off to Reece Clarke in his debut as Onegin; how he changed from oh so superior in the first 2 acts, to a forlorn mess in act 3, seemingly unable to believe how he managed to blow it so completely. The other leads in this cast (Natalia Osipova, Matthew Ball and Francesca Hayward (and Gary Avis as Gremin)) also delivered and then some, in their individual roles - but you have to say it was one of those nights when the whole was most definitely larger than the sum of the parts.  If forced to chose, I'd have to say the night belonged to Reece though!

Yes indeed, what a triumphant debut from Reece Clarke, beautifully characterised and not a sign of nerves, or none that I could detect. A totally convincing Onegin within an impeccable ensemble cast, and what an enthusiastic and thoroughly deserved reception from tonight’s audience.

There was indeed a very real connection between Clarke and Osipova, who caught the childlike infatuation of the young Tatiana so perfectly, and her rapport with Avis’ Gremin was a thing of real beauty.

Hayward’s Olga was etched with her usual delicacy and spontaneity and what a tragic and heartbreaking interpretation she and Ball delivered tonight.

A cast and a company very much at the top of its game. 

• Like 11

I saw both shows yesterday, my first experiences of Onegin other than the Stuttgart Ballet DVD. Really blown away by what a wonderful ballet this is - a beautiful, incredibly well choreographed and deeply emotional piece. I agree with everything that has been said about the truly wonderful evening performance. Perhaps controversially, I enjoyed the matinée cast even more. Mendizabal was a revelation as Tatiana - the first time I've seen her in such a major role. Such elegant but also often exciting dancing - the way she spun around Soares' body in the mirror pdd was breathtaking. And she portrayed the character perfectly - incredible acting. Soares himself was masterful as Onegin. And the acting of Hinkis was wonderful as Olga - she had posted exerts of Pushkin's poem on Instagram before the performance and the way she danced, it was clear that she felt and clearly portrayed every word. Two remarkable performances!

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Candleque said:

As if Reece Clark and Matthew Ball onstage weren’t enough, I’m sitting directly across the aisle from Cesar Corrales 

It was fun seeing people spot him.....I also saw Susan Hampshire a bit further round the the Stalls Circle from me, and had the pleasure of walking right behind Sir Mark Rylance from the old foyer to the new bit

• Like 6

I went and shook Rylance’s hand during the interval.  I had heard on the radio in the morning that it was his 60th birthday so I wished him a happy birthday. He was chatting to Cathy Marston who didn’t know it was his birthday.  

Isabella Gasparini was in the Floral Hall in the interval.  I love the way the dancers always support each other.  Marcelino Sambe was in the audience for Beauty on Thursday night.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

I went and shook Rylance’s hand during the interval.  I had heard on the radio in the morning that it was his 60th birthday so I wished him a happy birthday. He was chatting to Cathy Marston who didn’t know it was his birthday.  

Isabella Gasparini was in the Floral Hall in the interval.  I love the way the dancers always support each other.  Marcelino Sambe was in the audience for Beauty on Thursday night.  

How wonderful....it being his birthday is a very handy icebreaker!

Yes I saw Isabella Gasparini before the start, and I'm always pleased to see Francesca Hayward's gran

• Like 4

Yesterday afternoon's matinee was a lovely show and I thoroughly enjoyed it, special mention to the corps for those 2 great run/leaps across the stage in Act1 that is one of my all time favourite "ballet moments"!   Soares and Mendizabal were great and I agree with the comment above about those fantastic lifts and whipped spins/turns in the bedroom PDD they were so fast!  Hinkis and Donnelly both made their debuts and very accomplished they were too.  At the stage door every dancer said how they really love this ballet - it really does "have it all".  Oh and when asked why Vadim isn't dancing, KOH said it was "his choice" at stage door.  Interesting.

Some photos from the matinee yesterday afternoon:-

EOpVr72W4AIdP-s?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ensemble

EOpVr7xX4AE6w2r?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mendizabal and Soares solo curtain call (still in character)

EOpVr72WsAI2762?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mendizabal and Soares

EOpW9Q-W4AAwdDD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Hinkis and Donnelly

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

It was fun seeing people spot him.....I also saw Susan Hampshire a bit further round the the Stalls Circle from me, and had the pleasure of walking right behind Sir Mark Rylance from the old foyer to the new bit

In the first interval I overheard Susan Hampshire greeting another lady who she addressed as Maina & I wondered if it might have been Maina Gielgud, as it's not a common Christian name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Yesterday afternoon's matinee was a lovely show and I thoroughly enjoyed it, special mention to the corps for those 2 great run/leaps across the stage in Act1 

Yes I loved those too 

• Like 2