Press Release: Alina Cojocaru at Sadler's Wells

U2FkbGVyJ3MgV2VsbHMgUHJlc3MgUmVsZWFzZSBIZWFkZXIuanBn

Alina Cojocaru
Alina at Sadler’s Wells 
Thursday 20 - Sunday 23 February 
Tickets: £15 - £85
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

"Is there a ballerina today held in more widespread affection than Alina Cojocaru?" New York Times

Alina Cojocaru lead principal dancer with Sadler’s Wells Associate Company English National Ballet and resident guest artist with Hamburg Ballet, curates and performs in a new programme of classical and contemporary works from Thursday 20 - Sunday 23 February. 

The celebrated Romanian ballerina is joined on stage by special guests, including Danish ballet star Johan Kobborg, whose “uncanny synchronicity” (Financial Times) with Cojocaru has marked out their partnership as one of ballet’s great collaborations.

The programme features both newly created pieces and existing classics, including Sir Frederick Ashton’s iconic Marguerite and Armand and Les Lutins with choreography by Johan Kobborg. New work includes Reminiscence with choreography by Tim Rushton and music by Arvo Pärt; and a world premiere: Journey with choreography by Juliano Nunes and music by Luke Howard.

The programme will also include a specially commissioned film by Kim Brandstrup, as well as an excerpt from his 2018 film Faces.  

Alina Cojocaru is a lead principal dancer with Sadler’s Associate Company English National Ballet, and a former Principal of The Royal Ballet. Cojocaru was born in Bucharest and joined the Bucharest Ballet School aged nine. She entered the Romanian State Ballet School and participated in a student exchange programme with the Kiev Ballet School, where she trained until her Prix de Lausanne scholarship took her to The Royal Ballet School in 1997. Cojocaru’s numerous awards include the Danza&Danza Award for Best Dancer 2019, Outstanding Female Classical Performance at the Critics’ Circle Dance Awards in both 2018 and 2017 for her performances as Aurora in Sleeping Beauty and as Giselle in Akram Khan’s production. Further awards include Dance for You Magazine’s Best Dancer Award 2014; the 2014 Taglioni-European Ballet Award for Best Female Dancer; and German Dance Critics’ Award for Dancer of the Year in 2012. 

Some of Alina’s most acclaimed roles include Giselle, Julie in Liliom, Marguerite Gautier in The Lady of the Camellias, Tatiana in Onegin and Manon. 

Cojocaru’s charity work includes hosting two gala performances in 2008 and 2013 at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in support of the charity Hospices of Hope, a palliative care charity dedicated to improving the life of the terminally ill in Romania and surrounding countries.

-ENDS-

Listing information:

Alina Cojocaru
Alina at Sadler’s Wells 
Sadler’s Wells, EC1R 4TN
Performances Thu - Sat at 7:30pm, Sat at 2:30pm, Sun at 4pm
Tickets: £15-£85
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or 
www.sadlerswells.com

Notes to Editors

ABOUT SADLER’S WELLS
Sadler’s Wells is a world-leading creative organisation dedicated to dance in all its forms. With a rich theatrical heritage of over three centuries, it offers a year-round programme of performances and learning activities. Our mission is to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our vision is to create, through dance, a depth of connection beyond borders, cultures and languages, so we see ourselves in each other. 

Audiences of over half a million come to Sadler’s Wells’ three London theatres each year, with many more enjoying our touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world and accessing our content through digital channels. Sadler's Wells commissions, produces and presents more dance than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, we have helped to bring over 170 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving our 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today. 

Sadler’s Wells nurtures the next generation of talent through a range of artist development initiatives and reaches over 30,000 annually through our learning and engagement programmes.

Located in Islington, north London, Sadler’s Wells’ current building is the sixth to have stood on site since entrepreneur Richard Sadler first established the theatre in 1683. The venue has played an illustrious role in the history of theatre ever since, with The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and English National Opera having all started at Sadler's Wells.

Sadler’s Wells is to open an additional mid-scale venue in east London in 2022. The new space will be at the heart of the East Bank project, a new cultural and education district in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, which will also include BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A in partnership with the Smithsonian Institution. As well as a 550-seat auditorium, our new venue will include a choreographic centre and a hip hop theatre academy, the first of their kind in the world to be run by a theatre.

www.sadlerswells.com

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Loads of tickets remaining for this for the matinee - wonder if there are any offers? 

Members of The London Ballet Circle and The Ballet Association have access to 'strictly members only' offers.

There is further information on the LBC website  https://www.tlbc.org.uk about this.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Loads of tickets remaining for this for the matinee - wonder if there are any offers? 

Loads of tickets left for all the performances, great shame, I love Alina but the programme is not for me.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Can't see anything on their regarding Alina - am I looking in the wrong place.

Perhaps nobody had put it on there!  A lot of people seem to use the ticket exchange more than anything else when they are looking for tickets so unless an offer has been posted there they may not think to look in other areas of the forum.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 17:11, Bruce Wall said:

With Frola she couldn't have a better Armand methinks.  Stellar casting ... and, of course, he will be well prepared given the NBoC performances of Ashton's same in a run marking Hodgkinson's farewell.  

The M&A performances by NBC premiere in Canada on 29th February 2020.  Frola’s performances are 1,5,7 March there.  He’s going to be well prepared after being coached by Johan and performing 5 times at Sadlers Wells with Alina!

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 17:09, annamicro said:

As reported in another thread, Alina Cojocaru's Armand at Sadler's Wells will be Francesco Gabriele Frola.

Perhaps the role is going to be shared as Laurie McSherry-Grey has posted on his social media that he’s been rehearsing M&A with Alina at Sadlers Wells. 

There are of course another half-dozen or so male roles in the ballet ...

Thanks for the TodayTix offer, though - I haven't been getting notifications coming through from them.  Have just checked on the phone, and no sign of anything since mid-January, so I'll have to investigate my Gmail account when I'm actually on a computer :( 

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

Perhaps the role is going to be shared as Laurie McSherry-Grey has posted on his social media that he’s been rehearsing M&A with Alina at Sadlers Wells. 

He’ll be the Duke or more likely one of the other supporting cast members.  He’s not in the same league as Frola and other select principals that have performed Armand worldwide.

Thanks to the ticket offers posted on the Special Offers forum I got a 40% ticket for the matinee I used the Lastminute offer as I could pick my own seat with them, I could not with the other slightly cheaper offer, however for £5 more I picked my own front row seat!  Hoping M&A is good and that Frola is dancing as I really like him as well as Alina!  Thank you to all who posted the offer links much appreciated as I was in London anyway for Onegin on Friday, not often that happens for me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If anybody is at the first performance of this tonight, I would very much appreciate information as to whether the 1h50 running time on Sadler's Wells website is accurate.

It finished c 9.40pm tonight.

28 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

From a 7.30pm start? Oh dear, that's 20 mins longer. That's me not seeing it on Sunday then.

They might have tightened up the timings by Sunday - the first night of a season like this does sometimes overrun. Maybe you could check with SW tomorrow?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, capybara said:

The interval was well over 30 minutes long. But, having given her all to many pieces in the first half, including the energetic Les Lutins, Alina probably needed a good amount of time  to refresh both her mind and her body before going into Marguerite.

Not to mention the critics and guests being given enough time to finish their drinks...:D

• Like 2

On 19/02/2020 at 14:06, Don Q Fan said:

Thanks to the ticket offers posted on the Special Offers forum I got a 40% ticket for the matinee I used the Lastminute offer as I could pick my own seat with them, I could not with the other slightly cheaper offer, however for £5 more I picked my own front row seat! 

I likewise booked using the Lastminute offer & selected a seat that was in the front row on their seating plan. I've now arrived here only to discover I'm in the second row instead, with a fairly tall man in front of me, so not very happy with Lastminute.