Royal Ballet School Auditions 2020

My son didn't get a place at WL primarily, so I am lead to believe, because he was so bendy. Having been a JA he was a known quantity and was whisked off for an assessment on arrival.  They were concerned about hypermobility and possible lack of core strength.    I was told his body type and overall presentation was more suitable for another named school.

He did develop core strength but very late,  would love just a tenth of that flexibility back now, and (touching wood) his career from Y10 onwards has been a slow but steady upwards trajectory.  

They know what they are looking for unfortunately we don't!

• Like 1
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, meadowblythe said:

I hope she has a splendid day.  

Kudos to your DD for being able to change her opinion.  It's a skill as adults we tend not to always  use ...

Thank you! I always let her decide.....I know nothing about dance so I am quite happy to let her decide with the advice of her teachers too. She is still swaying more to Elmhurst. We shall see!

On 03/02/2020 at 18:00, Peanut68 said:

I think that is a rather harsh & unkind comment; totally unnecessary & I am guessing you are not talking from first hand experience ogf being in the same room at the same time as ME & MY DC - ie. you have no firsthand knowledge of the PERSONAL experience I was talking about..nor the sessions others also shared less positive experiences of I’m guessing 

Totally agree with you, easy for some  people to say! Hmm really not needed !

• Like 1
9 hours ago, BattementBatty said:

Yes I suppose so.  She's slim but not a skinny rake but has long arms and legs.

It may be that she has that indefinable magic, something special that says that she is a musical and well coordinated dancer as opposed to a bendy machine. I have seen many year 7s over the years at WL who were not in flat splits etc. to begin with. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, hfbrew said:

It may be that she has that indefinable magic, something special that says that she is a musical and well coordinated dancer as opposed to a bendy machine. I have seen many year 7s over the years at WL who were not in flat splits etc. to begin with. 

This is really interesting to know. We are only at the very beginning of our ballet journey but DD has a dream! I look at her and think about how she’s not blessed with natural flexibility, I do often say to her that the flip side of this is she has quite a lot of control so perhaps this will go in her favour when the time comes.

Congratulations to all those that are on the next step this year. Sorry for the ‘not yets’ 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SJBallet said:

This is really interesting to know. We are only at the very beginning of our ballet journey but DD has a dream! I look at her and think about how she’s not blessed with natural flexibility, I do often say to her that the flip side of this is she has quite a lot of control so perhaps this will go in her favour when the time comes.

Congratulations to all those that are on the next step this year. Sorry for the ‘not yets’ 

It is interesting isn’t it? My daughter is in a flat box split and over split front splits. her back bends to a ridiculous degree, and I do wonder if she will have problems with hyper mobility at some point. However, her feet don’t match the rest of her flexibility. I’ve always assumed this is the reason RBS is not interested, but maybe she is considered too flexible/hyper mobile? She really loves to dance and does so very well, is very musical and has a natural performance ability ( She has won a music scholarship at a very competitive school, and has been very favourably reviewed in an ENO show choreographed by Wayne McGregor). Studio Wayne McGregor loved her, and put the idea in her head about

full time training at 11. But RBS has been straight no 3 years for JA and now for WL finals as well. I feel so sorry for her, she works so hard, and has so much talent, but doesn’t fit the RBS mould I guess. I’m not sad as I would prefer she goes to a normal school until she is 16 anyway, but it’s hard to see them so disappointed ☹️ 

• Like 1

One of the things I always take into consideration when thinking about suggesting a pupil should audition is how they would cope with a "no". The numbers auditioning for so few places means that the majority will be disappointed.  With talented but delicate flowers it can do too much harm!

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

One of the things I always take into consideration when thinking about suggesting a pupil should audition is how they would cope with a "no". The numbers auditioning for so few places means that the majority will be disappointed.  With talented but delicate flowers it can do too much harm!

I’m sure in the long term it’s no bad thing to learn some resilience. If they want to be dancers after all, they will have to cope with these things all through their careers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

That's right. I feel most of the discussion here is limited to the purely physical. 

Very good point PdQ.  I am always proud of the way my DD copes with a no - and we have had numerous, including a number of RBS and other waitlists.  It is such a difficult journey for the whole family unit not just the dancer.  She has friends who don't take it so well and one whose mother took some helpful constructive feedback badly and while the child wanted to continue on the journey the mother backed off, to the detriment of the child.  What must also be taken into consideration as everyone goes through the audition process is this is just the start.  The anxious feeling you all have waiting for the "yes" is one you will continue to have in the coming years day in day out as they go from assessment to assessment and audition to audition.  I am not saying this to put anyone off nor am I implying that dance parents out there do not already know what they are going into.  I am just empathising with the situation as someone going through it.  We have good days and bad days but the one thing that makes us all keep going is having a DD who is happy, healthy and continues to love dance - but if this was not the case we would have no hesitation to move to plan B!  Good luck to everyone waiting for the outcome of auditions. 

• Like 3

Congratulations to those that have made it to finals! 

Seems to have been a break in results now I believe London from 26th jan and Birmingham still haven’t heard yet! Wonder how long it tends to be for those last auditions to get results. I’m thinking won’t be before next week.

53 minutes ago, junedancer said:

What must also be taken into consideration as everyone goes through the audition process is this is just the start.  The anxious feeling you all have waiting for the "yes" is one you will continue to have in the coming years day in day out as they go from assessment to assessment and audition to audition.

This is so true, getting a yes at some point is just the start of the roller coaster. There's plenty more hurdles to overcome. I do remember at WL Finals they did make a point of saying think very carefully if you get a Yes, the Dance life and training is not for everyone. Like junedaner said we've had good days and bad, at least DD is still keen to dance.

• Like 1

Newbiedancemum (in a little while you will need to change Name to seasoneddancemum!)

What a lovely good news story! And am sure this will be so heartening to so many others.... and further shows how each school has its own criteria (& of course each child may react differently in different environments & on the day) 

Huge congrats to your DD - massive achievement!

Best of luck at finals! 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Newbiedancemum said:

DD never got RBS associates, and auditioning for this year for year 7 places has had no's from elmhurst and tring then we got the email to say she has made white lodge finals! Shocked is an understatement! Wishing everyone the very best of luck 🍀 

Congratulations! Our DD also got callback... so while overjoyed we’re also keeping hopes & dreams in check 🙂

Any of you lovely people here have an idea on how many girls are in the WL final audition. Any general advice would be most welcome - we’re new to the world of ballet (although its taken over much of life of course).

Best of luck to all who progressed and also to those who are on another path.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Balletdoodah said:

Congratulations! Our DD also got callback... so while overjoyed we’re also keeping hopes & dreams in check 🙂

Any of you lovely people here have an idea on how many girls are in the WL final audition. Any general advice would be most welcome - we’re new to the world of ballet (although its taken over much of life of course).

Best of luck to all who progressed and also to those who are on another path.

Two years ago there were just over 60 girls taken to finals - but I think there were less last year. They’re split into 2/3 groups and timetabled over the first day and second morning for dancing audition, physio checks, academic test and interview. Parents are then asked to return on the second lunchtime and some children will have finished and are ready to go home - these are either a definite yes or no. Those who are not released are seen again for a second dance audition as they want to check them again. All will leave without knowing the outcome (even those who are not kept back) and they will email the answer after a few days. They look to take 12/13 girls from finals as they will more than likely have 2/3 places for internationals seen elsewhere. 
This was our experience and may have changed, but I hope it helps.
Good luck to all those with finals and to those who have a not yet, there are many paths to follow your dream, so please don’t give up. 

• Like 5

The interview is very informal ( more of a chat)

about favourite academic subjects or how they think they would cope with boarding etc. The academic test is just to see if there are any glaring difficulties. It is a formality and doesn’t have any outcome on the end result.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crazylife said:

Two years ago there were just over 60 girls taken to finals - but I think there were less last year. They’re split into 2/3 groups and timetabled over the first day and second morning for dancing audition, physio checks, academic test and interview. Parents are then asked to return on the second lunchtime and some children will have finished and are ready to go home - these are either a definite yes or no. Those who are not released are seen again for a second dance audition as they want to check them again. All will leave without knowing the outcome (even those who are not kept back) and they will email the answer after a few days. They look to take 12/13 girls from finals as they will more than likely have 2/3 places for internationals seen elsewhere. 
This was our experience and may have changed, but I hope it helps.
Good luck to all those with finals and to those who have a not yet, there are many paths to follow your dream, so please don’t give up. 

Thank you so very much - that gives a much clearer idea for us... especially knowing that some are released early but that doesn’t mean No. I can imagine some children could interpret that wrongly even if they’re informed it doesnt mean now by RBS.

It will be really helpful for DD’s understanding of the process & will help her self-evaluate & manage her own expectations.during and after.

Best to you

2 hours ago, valentina said:

The interview is very informal ( more of a chat)

about favourite academic subjects or how they think they would cope with boarding etc. The academic test is just to see if there are any glaring difficulties. It is a formality and doesn’t have any outcome on the end result.

Thats so helpful thank you. It makes sense that the interview would be focused on pastoral issues - we have had similar conversations between us since DD decided to apply. 

Thankyou all for the added info, helps alot to prepare as really do not know what to expect.

We haven't received any further information yet @Charliesmum 

Just wandering as we ticked for both what happens with mid associate places? Would these have been decided from the original audition? Or will they look for mid associate places at finals? Have no experience other than unsuccessful auditions previously so sorry if it sounds a silly question 🙈

Edited by Newbiedancemum

There will be a meeting for parents on arrival In the salon next to reception to explain the process, but they weren’t shown around due to students being there. You will be given a time to return to the salon on Friday and either you DC will finish at the end of the morning or you wait there if your DC is held back. 
They do tell you in the meeting that being held back or not gives no indication of the result, but it’s natural for the kids (and us) to read into it. So please reassure your DC that it’s true. And the best advice which must be hard, is to enjoy it. 

We were given a tour of the accommodation blocks and met the Housemistress. The current yr 7’s left good luck notes on their beds for anyone they knew ( maybe through JA’s or their old school etc). It was very sweet. Not sure this still happens as it was a few years ago now. It was a lovely but VERY tiring time. I would recommend packing some healthy snacks just in case they are hanging about. While they were waiting for physio etc they were supervised watching a video and got a chance to snack but as I say, this was a few years ago.

Good Luck to everyone.

2 hours ago, valentina said:

We were given a tour of the accommodation blocks and met the Housemistress. The current yr 7’s left good luck notes on their beds for anyone they knew ( maybe through JA’s or their old school etc). It was very sweet. Not sure this still happens as it was a few years ago now. It was a lovely but VERY tiring time. I would recommend packing some healthy snacks just in case they are hanging about. While they were waiting for physio etc they were supervised watching a video and got a chance to snack but as I say, this was a few years ago.

Good Luck to everyone.

Sorry I forgot - I think you’re right about a tour of the year 7 dorm. It all seems a bit of a blur now.