Sonya Yoncheva out

penelopesimpson

4 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Is she out for the run or just the opening night, which the website seems to suggest?

She will be back in time for the filmed production.  Hmm.  I phoned the Box Office and they said they were only told this morning.

Edited by penelopesimpson

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I find the original posting and the subsequent posting by the OP to be in extremely poor taste. In fact, I think it’s pretty pathetic.

Don't you always with anything I post?  It is so predictable.

A moderator complaining that a poster cannot post news of a major cast change - well, you just get more and more extraordinary.  I have been absolutely clear that 'artistes cannot help illness.'  There can be nothing offensive there unless you go looking for reasons to be offended.  

6 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Don't you always with anything I post?  It is so predictable.

A moderator complaining that a poster cannot post news of a major cast change - well, you just get more and more extraordinary.  I have been absolutely clear that 'artistes cannot help illness.'  There can be nothing offensive there unless you go looking for reasons to be offended.  

If you look closely you will see that I have actually liked some of your posts in the past.

i have no issue with your post advising of a cast change, though the lack of context was a bit puzzling at first. I do take issue that you are “annoyed” at someone cancelling because they are ill and, more so, at your negative insinuation that they will be better in time for the filmed performance (which is weeks away). You completely ignored the question you were asked (the website does indeed show the cast change affects one performance only at this time) when doing that. As I said, I think that’s pathetic, noting that the artist won’t be paid for the show she is missing.

I feel your pain Penelope Simpson, I too have bought tickets.  Very unfortunate  for anyone to be ill/injured but only natural in my opinion for punters to be disappointed. Obviously one hopes the absence is short as was mentioned and recovery is swift.  It has happened to me twice recently and each time it took me a while whilst attending the performance to appreciate what was going on stage in front of me.  Ridiculous, shallow, selfish of me perhaps....

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I find the original posting and the subsequent posting by the OP to be in extremely poor taste. In fact, I think it’s pretty pathetic.

What’s the OP? I am confused here on a number of counts as I’m not sure why Penelope Simpson’s disappointment - surely natural since she has pointed out how glorious she found Sonya Yoncheva’s  Norma - is in poor taste. I can discern no element of criticism (justified or otherwise) in Penelope’s post, merely an explanation of why she feels upset. 

59 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

What’s the OP? I am confused here on a number of counts as I’m not sure why Penelope Simpson’s disappointment - surely natural since she has pointed out how glorious she found Sonya Yoncheva’s  Norma - is in poor taste. I can discern no element of criticism (justified or otherwise) in Penelope’s post, merely an explanation of why she feels upset. 

Sorry, was at a concert and then the Wi-fi on the tube was rather ropey. I see Jan has already helpfully answered the query re OP.

I think disappointment is a perfectly natural response to a singer or a dancer having to be replaced and one I have felt quite a lot recently, but I usually get over it. However, I think annoyance and insinuations about a singer’s illness are a step too far.  I know there are some singers who have somewhat of a reputation for cancelling for what might appear to be less than understandable reasons but Yoncheva is most certainly not one of them.

• Like 1

Sonya Yoncheva has posted on twitter this morning saying that she is ill and hopes to be back for the next performance.  Common sense dictates that if an artist were to cancel for non-genuine reasons, they definitely would not choose press night to do so.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2020 at 20:21, Allegro said:

I feel your pain Penelope Simpson, I too have bought tickets.  Very unfortunate  for anyone to be ill/injured but only natural in my opinion for punters to be disappointed. Obviously one hopes the absence is short as was mentioned and recovery is swift.  It has happened to me twice recently and each time it took me a while whilst attending the performance to appreciate what was going on stage in front of me.  Ridiculous, shallow, selfish of me perhaps....

I don't think so, or at least if it is then I'm ridiculous, shallow & selfish too as I have had the same reaction on a number of occasions. I think that if your brain is expecting one thing & then suddenly that is changed then it takes time to re-adjust.

• Like 1

I think it’s perfectly natural to be disappointed, on one’s own behalf and for the performer in question.  It’s even understandable to be annoyed initially if the cast change is unexplained or not apparently due to illness or injury - for example I was very disappointed to learn that Lauren Cuthbertson won’t be dancing Tatiana in Onegin.  I was slightly annoyed at the time because no explanation was given.  However, it is what it is, I’m not going to find out the reason for the change and I have moved on, although I’m still sad for Cuthbertson.

I don’t judge anyone for being disappointed but I don’t think annoyance is at all appropriate when a performer is ill or injured - it’s neither the performer’s fault nor the ROH’s.  

• Like 3