Books on Dance (and singing) for School Library

meadowblythe

I've been asked by some year 8s  to acquire some dance books for our school library.  Ideally they'd like some on technique (they said ISTD but I think they may be pushing their luck here!) and also a couple of biographies - we have Hope in a Ballet Shoe but I fear others are now pretty outdated.  If anyone can suggest singing technique books along the same lines that would be wonderful.  

We have a number of older students who also dance so obviously I am  hoping to stock titles that will also appeal to them.

I have also discovered Peril en Pointe by Helen Lipscombe which looks quite fun.  Some of my readers have an insatiable desire for boarding school and/or whodunnit stories - Murder Most Ladylike, Mallory Towers (really!), Agatha Christie, Mysterious Benedict .. so I'm hoping this is as much fun as it looks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

I have also discovered Peril en Pointe by Helen Lipscombe which looks quite fun.  Some of my readers have an insatiable desire for boarding school and/or whodunnit stories - Murder Most Ladylike, Mallory Towers (really!), Agatha Christie, Mysterious Benedict .. so I'm hoping this is as much fun as it looks.

This sounds so up my DD’s street - I’ve just ordered it for her - thank you! 

3 minutes ago, BalletBear said:

I know it’s not really on technique and the students might not possibly enjoy it, but I loved reading Mao’s Last Dancer a few years ago xx

My DS's favourite ever dance book.  I haven't bought  it because I wasn't convinced what suited a vocational boy would sit well in a general library, but now there is another vote I can go ahead and add it to our stock.  Living in a rural fairly insular part of the UK it's great to remind the students there's a big wide world out there.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Books on Dance (and singing) for School Library

I'm fortunate the head is a huge fan.  Occasionally drops in just a bit of peace and quiet as do other members of staff.  And our upcoming Harry Potter night is starting with students bieng sorted by mixing chemicals together - should produce one of the four house colours - head of chemistry is as big a kid as I am!

• Like 4

Acting and Singing With Archetypes (Janet Rodgers and Frankie Armstrong) and Acting the Song, Performance Skills for the Musical Theatre (Tracey Moore with Allison Bergman) are good, I used them for my dissertation on creating character in musical theatre, not sure if they’re what you’re wanting 

If you want any fiction books, the Royal Ballet School Diaries (I think they are by an author called Alexandra Moss) are a wonderful set of books that follow year 7 at the school. I believe they can be ordered off amazon (which is where I got my set ) as I don’t think I’ve seen them anywhere else. They are quite short and might possibly be a tad bit easy for year 8 but they are very interesting!  

• Like 1

my daughters are 10 and 12. We have Misty Copeland's autobiography young readers edition, Peril on Pointe, The Tsar's Ballet Slippers  which went down very well here.

Might be a bit young but The Secrets of the Ballet Book (think it is called that, will check when I go back upstairs) was good too. Otherwise the younger one (who prefers ballet, eldest going off dancing rapidly) is working her way through the Lorna Hill old Sadlers Wells books. 

A Girl called Faithful Plum is in the cupboard to be read as well. That one is about a young chinese dancers life. Will see if I can think of any more.

Got a couple I need to put on ebay actually. thanks for reminding me

well I would err on the side of caution and go with the young readers edition myself as I have no idea how different the other version is. I think if you have a particular interest in something like dance then you will read biographical work even if it is aimed at a different age group.  Let me take some photos of pages and see if I can private message them to you so you can see what you think.

ok ones I have found floating around in my daughters rooms.

No ballet shoes in Syria - Catherine Bruton. Not read yet so no idea what it is like

A Girl Called Faithful Plum by Richard Bernstein

Ballet Shoes for Anna - Noel Streatfeild

Misty Copeland Young Readers Edition Life in Motion

Pirouett by Robyn Bavati

Dancing on the Inside by Glen C Strathy

The Secret of the Ballet Book by Navita Dello

The Tsar's Ballet Slippers by Angela Riley

Music Boxes by Tonja Drecker

and Peril on Pointe.

Am about to put The Secret of the Ballet Book, The Tsar's Ballet Slippers and Music Boxes on ebay. Might be getting rid of Peril on Pointe too but need to check with one of the girls first.

On 10/01/2020 at 14:47, meadowblythe said:

I'm fortunate the head is a huge fan.  Occasionally drops in just a bit of peace and quiet as do other members of staff.  And our upcoming Harry Potter night is starting with students bieng sorted by mixing chemicals together - should produce one of the four house colours - head of chemistry is as big a kid as I am!

My daughters say they want to come fo hour school

On 11/01/2020 at 21:45, BalletBear said:

If you want any fiction books, the Royal Ballet School Diaries (I think they are by an author called Alexandra Moss) are a wonderful set of books that follow year 7 at the school. I believe they can be ordered off amazon (which is where I got my set ) as I don’t think I’ve seen them anywhere else. They are quite short and might possibly be a tad bit easy for year 8 but they are very interesting!  

I have just ordered these for my youngest. Thank you 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BalletBear said:

I hope that they enjoy them! 

oh I am sure they will be popular. she has devoured Lorna Hill Sadlers Wells books. I told her about them this afternoon after seeing your post and she got very excited and gave me Christmas money to pay for them.

• Like 1