Harold King RIP

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Harold King RIP

I first saw them at the Lyric, Hammersmith in the early 1980s and loved the company. I'm also grateful to him for later on giving Bryony Brind an opportunity that she was not given at the RB - to dance Juliet. RIP.

• Like 1

I think British ballet and its audiences owe London City Ballet, and hence Harold King as its founder, a debt of thanks.  It may have been a small company, but its standards were high, and it toured to a lot of local and regional theatres (and sometimes with ballets) which weren't covered by any of the larger companies.  And some of its dancers went on to bigger and better things.

• Like 3

I was very sad to hear of Harold King's passing as  I saw quite a few performances by London City Ballet when I first discovered ballet. Somehow they made made the most of their modest means & I recall a charming Giselle, R&J & an early Cinderella from Matthew Hart among other gems with some surprisingly high profile dancers (I have fond memories of Paul Thrussell's Romeo - he later went onto Boston Ballet). Wish there was more evidence of the company on the internet as their contribution to the London & national dance scene is in danger of being forgotten.

• Like 7