Jump to content
bridiem

National Ballet of Canada at ROH summer 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

 

I'd forgotten that Frola & Emma Hawes dance with the NBC as well as ENB. I wonder if they will be cast in SB or whether the NBC will choose to showcase dancers who UK audiences are less likely to have seen dance.

 

I would imagine you would.  Here is principal casting from their last Toronto showing of the Nureyev SB in 2018.  (Some dancers have left, e.g., Tedaldi sadly - and Evan McKie (who some may remember from Stuttgart's last visit at the Wells) and Piotr Stanczyk were injured at that time.  I would hope that we might see both on the ROH stage as well.  Of course, there are new dancers too.) 

 

Princess Aurora
Heather Ogden (March 8, 14 at 7:30 pm/March 18 at 2:00 pm)
Svetlana Lunkina (March 9, 15 at 7:30 pm)
Jurgita Dronina† (March 10 at 2:00 pm)
Jillian Vanstone (March 10, 17 at 7:30 pm)
Xiao Nan Yu (March 11 at 2:00 pm/March 16 at 7:30 pm)
Elena Lobsanova* (March 13 at 7:30 pm)
Alexandra MacDonald* (March 17 at 2:00 pm)

 

Prince Florimund
Guillaume Côté (March 8, 14 at 7:30 pm/March 18 at 2:00 pm)
Harrison James (March 9, 15 at 7:30 pm)
Naoya Ebe (March 10 at 2:00 pm/March 13 at 7:30 pm)
Francesco Gabriele Frola (March 10, 17 at 7:30 pm)
Peng-Fei Jiang* (March 11 at 2:00 pm/March 16 at 7:30 pm)
Brendan Saye* (March 17 at 2:00 pm)

 

Bluebird
Francesco Gabriele Frola* (March 8, 14 at 7:30 pm)
Skylar Campbell (March 9 at 7:30 pm/March 17 at 2:00 pm) - now a principal
Kota Sato (March 10 at 2:00 pm/March 13 at 7:30 pm)
Siphesihle November* (March 10, 17 at 7:30 pm)
Naoya Ebe (March 11 at 2:00 pm/March 15 at 7:30 pm)
Dylan Tedaldi* (March 16 at 7:30 pm/March 18 at 2:00 pm)

 

Princess Florine
Emma Hawes (March 8, 14 at 7:30 pm)
Tina Pereira (March 9 at 7:30 pm/March 17 at 2:00 pm)
Jenna Savella* (March 10 at 2:00 pm/March 13 at 7:30 pm)
Miyoko Koyasu* (March 10, 17 at 7:30 pm)
Jillian Vanstone (March 11 at 2:00 pm/March 15 at 7:30 pm)
Rui Huang* (March 16 at 7:30 pm/March 18 at 2:00 pm)

 


*Debut †Company Debut +Guest Artist

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I would imagine you would.  Here is principal casting from their last Toronto showing of the Nureyev SB in 2018.  (Some dancers have left, e.g., Tedaldi sadly - and Evan McKie (who some may remember from Stuttgart's last visit at the Wells) and Piotr Stanczyk were injured at that time.  I would hope that we might see both on the ROH stage as well.  Of course, there are new dancers too.)

 

That might get me to go then! I thought Frola was terrific in Manon this time last year and he & Hawes lovely together in Cinderella in June. I'm booked to see them both in Le Corsaire on Saturday.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, am delighted NBOC is bringing Nureyev's "Sleeping Beauty" to London as it will be nostalgic in so many ways for me.  It was the production I grew up with and watched Kain many times as Aurora.  I was a dresser for their summer season of 'Beauty' before returning to the UK as a student so I got to know those fabulous costumes intimately!  It was also in the rep of LFB/ENB for many years and I thought it sad when it was jettisoned for the much less interesting production by MacMillan.  I saw many stars in the ballet and my abiding memory is of standing in the wings to watch Nureyev with Evdokimova because the Coliseum was completely sold out during the Nureyev and Friends season.

 

It would be interesting to see Hynd's "Merry Widow" but it is not a very challenging ballet for the dancers and I think Kain, during her final season as Artistic Director, will want to showcase the strengths of her dancers at all levels, and there is nothing like Nureyev's 'Beauty' for doing this, as anyone who has danced in it will tell you!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh I may know you Irmgard! That’s a memory of mine too!! 
My friend who was doing some sort of Arts Admin degree worked for the Company for a bit when they were still LFB ...for experience I think and I joined her to dress for the corps de ballet when Evdokimova and Nureyev danced together ( her Giselle was fab) I remember the Sleeping Beauty because there were SO MANY hooks and eyes on one set of costumes and I was really nervous as there was one very quick change ...I was terrified I wouldn’t get them on and off in time or some dancer would lose their costume mid performance!! 
Am really interested to see this again! Shame no longer be standing in the wings and discover that Nureyev standing behind you though!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Gosh I may know you Irmgard! That’s a memory of mine too!! 
My friend who was doing some sort of Arts Admin degree worked for the Company for a bit when they were still LFB ...for experience I think and I joined her to dress for the corps de ballet when Evdokimova and Nureyev danced together ( her Giselle was fab) I remember the Sleeping Beauty because there were SO MANY hooks and eyes on one set of costumes and I was really nervous as there was one very quick change ...I was terrified I wouldn’t get them on and off in time or some dancer would lose their costume mid performance!! 
Am really interested to see this again! Shame no longer be standing in the wings and discover that Nureyev standing behind you though!!!

I didn't dress for LFB, only NBOC but I remember those very heavy costumes - especially for the Queen!  Having to heave the two sides of the skirt together to fasten the waist and then all the other hooks and eyes!  It was a great workout for the arm muscles!   As for Nureyev and LFB, I remember him coming flying into my wing at the end of his manege in his Act III solo and almost crashing into me but my knees went weak anyway, purely from his electrifying eyes!  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irmgard said:

I, for one, am delighted NBOC is bringing Nureyev's "Sleeping Beauty" to London as it will be nostalgic in so many ways for me.  It was the production I grew up with and watched Kain many times as Aurora.  I was a dresser for their summer season of 'Beauty' before returning to the UK as a student so I got to know those fabulous costumes intimately!  It was also in the rep of LFB/ENB for many years and I thought it sad when it was jettisoned for the much less interesting production by MacMillan.  I saw many stars in the ballet and my abiding memory is of standing in the wings to watch Nureyev with Evdokimova because the Coliseum was completely sold out during the Nureyev and Friends season.

 

It would be interesting to see Hynd's "Merry Widow" but it is not a very challenging ballet for the dancers and I think Kain, during her final season as Artistic Director, will want to showcase the strengths of her dancers at all levels, and there is nothing like Nureyev's 'Beauty' for doing this, as anyone who has danced in it will tell you!

I also have happy memories of watching this, but I think it was replaced by a production from Hynd/Heeley, which was shortlived. Deane then produced his in the round version which may or may not have had a pros arch outing, I don't remember. Then came the Macmillan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

 

I saw that the prices were £8 to £120 which (if memory serves) was only a little less than the Bolshoi.  (Certainly the cheapest standing room for that was £10.) 

 

I would imagine this programming is largely targeted to the tourist market at that time of year.  Myself, I will be glad to see the Nureyev SB again.  I did see Obratsova and Sarafanov in it with La Scala when they were here ... but before that it was back in the days of Nureyev, Veronica Tennant and Karen Kain with NBoC and that WAS a long time ago ... Heady times they were (or so my memory would like to serve).  

 

In terms of catching up with the Canadian company at least SB does also offer a lot of soloist and demi-soloist possibilities and gives you a chance to really evaluate the state of the corps work.  That may have been the Company's factor when in discussion with the Hochhauser Organisation. 

 

It would have been nice if, perhaps, they brought Neumeier's Nijinsky (especially with Frola) as they did in Paris.  That too has so many different dancing possibilities - but I'm sure such would have been seen (with I fear some justification) as being too commercially risky.  

 

We were indeed treated with that Nijinsky we saw in Paris with Frola and Lunkina. Pity they didn't bring it here but SB probably sells better to the masses as you say. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the casting for NBOC's upcoming SB shows in Washington DC, which will probably give  you a good idea of what it will be like for London.

I suspect the choice of SB was also influenced by the fact that they had to prepare it for Washington  as well. They just did Merry Widow last spring here in Toronto but that would mean another whole ballet to rehearse again for this coming July, just after they've premiered a new Swan Lake in Toronto in June.

Princess Aurora 
Heather Ogden (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Jillian Vanstone (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm) 
Emma Hawes* (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 

Prince Florimund
Harrison James (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Francisco Gabriele Frola (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm) 
Guillaume Côté (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 

King Florestan
Jonathan Renna (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm/February 1 at 1:30 pm) 
Piotr Stanczyk (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm) 

Queen
Sophie Letendre+  

Catalabutte, Master of Ceremonies
Tomas Schramek (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Hazaros Surmeyan (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 1, 2 at 1:30 pm) 

The Lilac Fairy
Tanya Howard (January 30, 31, February 1 at 7:30 pm)  
Stephanie Hutchison (February 1, 2 at 1:30 pm) 

Carabosse, the Wicked Fairy
Rebekah Rimsay (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm) 
Stephanie Hutchison (January 31 at 7:30 pm) 
Alejandra Perez-Gomez (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 

Principal Fairy
Emma Hawes (January 30 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm)
Hannah Fischer (January 31, February 1 at 7:30 pm/February 1 at 1:30 pm)  

Bluebird
Naoya Ebe (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm)  
Siphesihle November (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm)  
Skylar Campbell (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 

Princess Florine
Elena Lobsanova (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Miyoko Koyasu (January 31 at 7:30 pm) 
Tina Pereira (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 
Koto Ishihara* (February 2 at 1:30 pm) 

Diamond Lady
Chelsy Meiss (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Hannah Fischer (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm)  
Jordana Daumec (February 1 at 1:30 pm)  

Diamond Man
Donald Thom (January 30, February 1 at 7:30 pm) 
Brendan Saye* (January 31 at 7:30 pm/February 2 at 1:30 pm) 
Jack Bertinshaw (February 1 at 1:30 pm) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the casting is confirmed, and assuming that it is largely in line with the Washington DC shows, who would you recommend, Toursenlair? I am familiar with some, but by no means all, of those names. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very disappointing cast. IMHO. Especially after Royal Ballet also performing Sleeping Beauty with far better dancers. 

 

Jillian Vanstone and Francesco Gabriele Frola would be my choice (they are very good) , avoid the other casts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Jurgita Dronina will be dancing, who was simply sublime in ENB's performances in 2018.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Naomi M said:

A very disappointing cast. IMHO. Especially after Royal Ballet also performing Sleeping Beauty with far better dancers. 

 

Jillian Vanstone and Francesco Gabriele Frola would be my choice (they are very good) , avoid the other casts.  

With respect, Naomi, I don't agree. Harrison James and Heather Ogden are also a good cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to seeing the Ogden/James cast in DC on the evening of Feb 1. Also, the designs should be treat, from what I’ve read...this level of luxury is rare in the 21st century. Report forthcoming!

Edited by Jeannette
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know if the Canadians are coming instead of the Mariinsky this year or are we having the double whammy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Does anybody know if the Canadians are coming instead of the Mariinsky this year or are we having the double whammy? 

 

No Mariinsky this year - I believe ROH is putting in a new stage (?), which presumably would have taken too long to work with the much longer Bolshoi and Mariinsky tours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Lizbie it’s only because the Canadian visit seemed so short that it crossed my mind the Russians might be coming too!! 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...