Rbs summer school 2020

Darcey15

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/01/2020 at 16:30, MPatti said:

PutYourBooteesOn I just called the school and they said the first batch of emails that went out didn't confirm the date of attendance and residential/non-residential.  The person I spoke to said to just assume you got in to what you applied for. Hope that helps.

Thank you. Clarifies the date.... doesn’t clarify the accommodation option as we had said we would do either. We still will, just need to know which, lol. 

1 hour ago, dancingninja said:

Please forgive me if this a silly question. We’re based in the US so we’re not as familiar with how the Royal Ballet School chooses students. DS15 is thrilled to be attending the summer intensive at White Lodge this year. Do they ever invite summer intensive students to join the year-round program? Or is that through the formal audition process only?

Yes. All students that have ticked the ‘ would like to be considered for full time place’ will be looked at during the course. There is the chance of being offered a place there and then or being invited back to take classes with students from the school at a later date or private audition.

Even if you hadn’t ticked the box, I’m sure they would still offer a place if they wanted you!

On 15/01/2020 at 20:25, Rocco said:

DS (10) has a yes for both spring and summer this year but only made it to SWL for JAs. He’s now worried that he won’t live up to his photos in real life!! 

Ahh fantastic news, congratulations! I'm sure he will have a fab time and SWL JAs is brilliant too 😊 I'm sure he doesn't need to worry. x

On 19/01/2020 at 17:24, dancingninja said:

Please forgive me if this a silly question. We’re based in the US so we’re not as familiar with how the Royal Ballet School chooses students. DS15 is thrilled to be attending the summer intensive at White Lodge this year. Do they ever invite summer intensive students to join the year-round program? Or is that through the formal audition process only?

Hi dancingninja. Yes, a girl was invited to join my daughter's year from the summer school last year. 

AuditionIngenu     69

Posted 52 minutes ago

Dear All

I have just received an email from the RBS summer intensives team asking me to confirm or decline my DD's place on the RBS Summer Intensive 2020. At the end of the email it congratulates her for getting a place. 

Last week we received a 'wait list' place and so I was somewhat surprised by the email and delighted of course. However, I thought I had better just call the Intensive team to double check before I broke the news to my DD. They told me it is simply a computer generated email sent to everyone placed or on the wait list. 

My DD is extremely fortunate to be in a vocational school. If we were reliant on RBS outreach opportunities to support local ballet schooling this would have been a really horrible let down. I thought I had better share before anyone else was as confused as me and thought wrongly it was an offer.

I still feel very let down. 

Good luck to everyone who has a place and good luck to those waiting like we are. xx

Have just seen this on another thread x

Edited by Justkeepsmiling
Addition to post
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

AuditionIngenu     69

Posted 52 minutes ago

Dear All

I have just received an email from the RBS summer intensives team asking me to confirm or decline my DD's place on the RBS Summer Intensive 2020. At the end of the email it congratulates her for getting a place. 

Last week we received a 'wait list' place and so I was somewhat surprised by the email and delighted of course. However, I thought I had better just call the Intensive team to double check before I broke the news to my DD. They told me it is simply a computer generated email sent to everyone placed or on the wait list. 

My DD is extremely fortunate to be in a vocational school. If we were reliant on RBS outreach opportunities to support local ballet schooling this would have been a really horrible let down. I thought I had better share before anyone else was as confused as me and thought wrongly it was an offer.

I still feel very let down. 

Good luck to everyone who has a place and good luck to those waiting like we are. xx

Have just seen this on another thread x

Ahhh brilliant thank you for clarifying this. It’s a shame that it’s worded this way as I have mistakenly now told my DS he has a place! Never mind. 

Yes, same here. I emailed back questioning it as soon as it arrived but no reply an hour later so I phoned front of house (impatient to know whether it was an offer or an error) and they confirmed that apparently it was a  mistake and sent the email to all instead of just the ‘yes’ applicants. Oops! 

Yes we got the email too. I have to say that for a professional organisation their admin this year has been shocking. Luckily I hadn’t told my DD anything but regardless, this is really disappointing.  @Bunny, I hope your DS isn’t too upset.  Fingers crossed, however, to all of us with WL candidates, that somebody does get lucky, and good luck to all those with a place 🤞🏻

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jete Battu said:

Yes we got the email too. I have to say that for a professional organisation their admin this year has been shocking. Luckily I hadn’t told my DD anything but regardless, this is really disappointing.  @Bunny, I hope your DS isn’t too upset.  Fingers crossed, however, to all of us with WL candidates, that somebody does get lucky, and good luck to all those with a place 🤞🏻

It is a shame! My DS is not too upset as he has been offered spring and is a JA so already has opportunities with RBS, but I feel for those children who perhaps don’t and have received this email.

Fingers crossed for us all! x

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Newdancermum said:

My first thought it is the new system.  You no longer have a record of what you applied for and the system emails are unclear.

Thats very true. As you say at least with the old system you could go back through your account to see where you were with everything. I’m really not so keen on this new one. The number of errors I’ve experienced and read about is terrible. Lets hope they fix it - and soon.

• Like 2

Is that with the online profile? I’ve always thought it odd that we have nothing more than the initial JA audition info and receipt for payment on there. Anything since hasn’t appeared anywhere so it’s been a case of constantly checking/searching emails for things like invoices or events. I thought I’d done something wrong. 

26 minutes ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Is that with the online profile? I’ve always thought it odd that we have nothing more than the initial JA audition info and receipt for payment on there. Anything since hasn’t appeared anywhere so it’s been a case of constantly checking/searching emails for things like invoices or events. I thought I’d done something wrong. 

We don’t even have an online profile as far as I can see.  

Ah I’ve already told my DD and she was so happy to join....

I have to tell her it was an error....

There are so many children who have dreams to join RBS intensive that I want them to be more careful..

• Like 1

We had the email too, saying we had a place, rather than waitlist, then the error email saying that the acceptance email should have said for waitlist.  Luckily for me I had read the error email first, so by the time I reached the congratulations email I already knew there was an error.  I feel for anyone who shared news and got excited and now has to say it was the wrong email, very disappointing.  Fingers crossed that places come up, if the cut off is midnight tonight to confirm I guess wait list places will come up soon x

On 23/01/2020 at 17:24, Lara Eschler said:

We had accepted the place already for my DS and today I got 2 emails one from Lauren and one from Henry asking me to accept or decline if we haven’t already.  Still unsure if he has accommodation. 

I don’t think the one from ‘Henry’ was from the Royal Ballet, I got it too, and a couple of things in the wording were dodgy, and the email for financial assistance was wrong. I emailed the RB to let them know, in case they’ve been hacked, but they haven’t replied. Awful that some thought they had places by mistake.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PetitJeté said:

I don’t think the one from ‘Henry’ was from the Royal Ballet, I got it too, and a couple of things in the wording were dodgy, and the email for financial assistance was wrong. I emailed the RB to let them know, in case they’ve been hacked, but they haven’t replied. Awful that some thought they had places by mistake.

I got a sort of apology/clarification email back from Henry when I emailed to ask if it was correct or an error (I also googled him as bi wondered the same and he is linked with RB). But I’ve had a few emails lately with other children’s first names in and on speaking to them via phone regarding a other things they’ve said they are on a new computer system so to please bear with them. Hopefully it’s just teething problems but was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions getting that particular email. Thankfully I trusted my instinct upon reading it that it was an error and didn’t say anything to my DS.

I feel terrible for those who did let their children know - I know it was an accident but it felt a little cruel, especially as it wasn’t rectified/clarified for a fair while. 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma
  • Like 1

I must say, other than the few minor mistakes lately and this email, they’ve been fantastic with communication on every other matter with us in the past so I do believe it’s just the flaws of getting used to a new system (or something of that sort). 

Fingers crossed that some places for those on the waitlist do come up soon. 🤞🤞🤞 :) 

I’m not getting my hopes up as DS is still very young. 

I thought both the email from Lauren and the email from Henry could have used some editing. Using the same email template as for the Easter intensives would have been fine. I did not get any further emails after accepting the Easter offer (until invoice time) so it was confusing receiving two extra emails soliciting a response (after having already accepted the  offer and spoken to Lauren). A sharp contrast to the usual flawless communication  from J.A.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2020 at 08:59, Katia05 said:

Congratulations to all who got places! Can I ask, of those who had successful applications, did you have your photos done professionally in the dance studio?

My DD has been offered both Spring and Summer course and photos were taken in our house and she was very poorly at the time. We didn’t think she has a hope so feel very lucky! 

• Like 2