Rbs summer school 2020

Darcey15

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Yes you are right, it is incredible we feel absoloutley privileged that DD has the chance to be a JA. I just find it a bit confusing at times 😜 xx

Same here. We are just floating along, picking up opportunities wherever they pop up. If they don’t go as wished, something else will come up. :) 

Is your DD in the mixed JA class (if you don’t mind me asking)? 

44 minutes ago, Rocco said:

DS (10) has a yes for both spring and summer this year but only made it to SWL for JAs. He’s now worried that he won’t live up to his photos in real life!! 

Oh bless him. I bet he will love it once the initial first class/meeting everyone nerves wear off. There will be ballet students from lots of places, definitely not just JAs - and while being accepted as a JA is great it’s not the ‘everything’ :)

My DS wasn’t even excited about the ballet side, it was the prospect of not having his parents there and having a BBQ and movie nights (apparently they do this) that had him excited. 😁 It sounds like it will be a great experience, both for ballet and having fun. :)

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

5 hours ago, tired dance mummy said:

We got a yes for our DD.

Also confused about dates but checked application and have applied for 3&4.  So guessing that is what she got

She will be thrilled always had wait list for Summer.  She did Spring last year and got waitlist this year.  Who knows their thinking.

Good luck to everyone waiting xx

Amazing news. Delighted for her!! 

Thanks BalletBoyMumma! Unfortunately my DS is the opposite - loves the dancing but is super anxious about the social side. Luckily we live very close to WL so he doesn’t need to board, but residential must be an amazing experience. I’m telling him pretty much everyone there won’t know anyone, so will be keen to strike up friendships! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Katniss said:

Hi

Just to say that if anyone got a waiting list place .. my dd got a yes but cannot attend so there will be a least one free place to reallocate .x 

Thank you one of my students was wait listed, fingers crossed the WL isn’t too gigantic and a place comes up . X

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BalletBoyMumma said:

Same here. We are just floating along, picking up opportunities wherever they pop up. If they don’t go as wished, something else will come up. :) 

Is your DD in the mixed JA class (if you don’t mind me asking)? 

Sorry just seen this 🙈 yes she is and she absolutely loves it, her teacher is amazing and lovely, DD really likes her 😍, how about your DS is he in a mixed class?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

We also got a no and DD is a JA, so wondering where that leaves us on our JA journey? We are new to all this and find it so confusing at times...so a no for SS as a current JA, is there still a chance for Mids?

Absolutely not , I remember from my daughters Ja class three that got a no for summer school first time ended up as mid associates and from that , one is now a senior associate. My DD was wait listed in year 5 for SS luckily a very last minute place came up and she is now in year 10 at WL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dizzyballetmum said:

Absolutely not , I remember from my daughters Ja class three that got a no for summer school first time ended up as mid associates and from that , one is now a senior associate. My DD was wait listed in year 5 for SS luckily a very last minute place came up and she is now in year 10 at WL. 

Wow your daughter is doing brilliantly! Thankyou for the words of encouragement. I think it's naivety on my part, not knowing anything about anything haha. I think because it was a straight no for my DD It got me thinking... we would have been over the moon with a waiting list 😊, we are learning to roll with it in the Baller world 😂, quite a learning curve lol x

3 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

Sorry just seen this 🙈 yes she is and she absolutely loves it, her teacher is amazing and lovely, DD really likes her 😍, how about your DS is he in a mixed class?

I think they might be in the same class. :) 

The teacher is lovely (If we are talking about the same person) - very nurturing. 🥰 They are very lucky! 

25 minutes ago, Katia05 said:

Congratulations to all who got places! Can I ask, of those who had successful applications, did you have your photos done professionally in the dance studio?

My dc did them whilst at school, a few of them took them for each other 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Katia05 said:

Congratulations to all who got places! Can I ask, of those who had successful applications, did you have your photos done professionally in the dance studio?

I did the photos myself in my lounge.  Just to say I have never danced so the photos were approved by my 13 year old DD so I have no idea whether they are correct or not!!

She go wait list for Summer last year and the year before and Spring this year.  But got a yes for Spring last year. 

She is a year 9 MA and started with associates in year 6 which was her first ever attempt of auditioning.  I think it really is just what they are looking for at that moment.

Good Luck everyone.  We are completely led by her and as long as she is happy and and the no's are not detrimental to her self esteem we are happy to continue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tokyo Ballerina said:

My daughter, age 15, applied for Covent Garden for two week from Japan and was put on the waiting list. Does this mean actually No? 

Does anyone know how long the waiting list usually is? Just want to know what are the chances. Thank you.

Hi Tokyo Ballerina,
from experience my DD (17) always takes "waiting list" as a no. She did RB last year, this year she is on waiting list so she made plans elsewhere. The lists are very long and it all depends how far up/ down your name is. Good luck x

• Like 1

I have always done my students photos, doesn’t mean they get a place however good the photos are. I had 2 JAs a few years back both got waitlist and then one was taken to White Lodge finals, Elmhurst finals and eventually offered a RBS MA. So waitlist is absolutely no indication of anything!  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dancing feet said:

I spoke with Lauren who said they are using a new system which has not sent everyone’s email but they don’t know who has had an email. Ring and then they will email the result to you. X

Perfect thank you!! Do you have the number please? 

PutYourBooteesOn I just called the school and they said the first batch of emails that went out didn't confirm the date of attendance and residential/non-residential.  The person I spoke to said to just assume you got in to what you applied for. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

Hi Tokyo Ballerina,
from experience my DD (17) always takes "waiting list" as a no. She did RB last year, this year she is on waiting list so she made plans elsewhere. The lists are very long and it all depends how far up/ down your name is. Good luck x

Thank you, FlexyNexy : ) Well understood. 

We will look for other opportunities while we wait for results from ENBS and Elmhurst. Thanks again.

Please forgive me if this a silly question. We’re based in the US so we’re not as familiar with how the Royal Ballet School chooses students. DS15 is thrilled to be attending the summer intensive at White Lodge this year. Do they ever invite summer intensive students to join the year-round program? Or is that through the formal audition process only?

27 minutes ago, dancingninja said:

Please forgive me if this a silly question. We’re based in the US so we’re not as familiar with how the Royal Ballet School chooses students. DS15 is thrilled to be attending the summer intensive at White Lodge this year. Do they ever invite summer intensive students to join the year-round program? Or is that through the formal audition process only?

Yes students attending summer school could potentially be spotted and offered a full time place or a place as an international scholar. Well done to your son , my DD will also be 15 v soon and will be there weeks 1 and 2 , so they might see each other there 😃