Thiago Soares Confirms Retirement

Thiago Soares has said on Instagram that his three upcoming performances of Onegin will be his last with the Royal Ballet.  He has been with them for 18 years. 

I will never forget his heartbreaking Rudolf...thus far the only one to make me cry.  He is also a wonderful Onegin and I look forward to the performances. 

Best wishes to him for all his future projects and endeavours.  

• Like 24

As anticipated but I'm sure that we all have fond memories of performances by Thiago. My particular one is of the Onegin opening night 5 years ago. Astonishing!

He seems to be carving out a varied role for himself into the future so all good wishes, Thiago, for success in that.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh dear, I'll be seeing him for the first time at his retirement performance. Not the best timing! I've already seen Bolle this season for the first time at what was likely his last ROH performance.

Well, I don't know - I would think 'in the nick of time' would be the reaction to this!

• Like 4

I love him in Onegin particularly .....I'm going on Feb 12th so not sure who is dancing then will have to check but if had known about this retirement will have been a shame to miss him.

Good luck in future ventures to him at least may get a chance to see him from time to time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well, I don't know - I would think 'in the nick of time' would be the reaction to this!

In one way, but if you found you really liked someone but can never see them again then it'd be a pain in the neck! (Fortunately I didn't feel that about Bolle.)

• Like 2

His final performances are 18 Jan matinee, 22 Feb and 29 Feb.

I am seeing the Onegin matinee and really looking forward to it as Thiago is a really great brooding Onegin, so I'll be very sorry to see him go.  His Mayerling was great too.  Funnily enough I saw him as Franz in Coppelia with Marianela in 2010 they were fantastic together.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alison said:

It still doesn't say that he's actually retiring, though - just that these are his last performances with the RB.  Or have I missed something?

Well the Royal Ballet used the word 'retire' when they announced last year that he would be leaving.

• Like 1

What has happened with Thiago is often the pattern when dancers leave the RB: they return to perform a guest farewell in a production close to their hearts. Roberta Marquez in Fille was a recent example. Others are given a send off at their last performance in the year of their retirement - Zenaida Yanowsky, for example.

• Like 4

I don't think I have ever seen Soares live but have just realised that I will be seeing him in Onegin on the 18th, so at least I will have the chance to see him before he retires.

Email from ROH today advised Lauren Cuthberson is replaced in all three shows (the 3 Soares shows) by Itziar Mendizabal. To be honest I felt I couldn't really see Lauren as Tatiana, but I'll be very interested to see Itziar's interpretation. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Email from ROH today advised Lauren Cuthberson is replaced in all three shows (the 3 Soares shows) by Itziar Mendizabal. To be honest I felt I couldn't really see Lauren as Tatiana, but I'll be very interested to see Itziar's interpretation. 

It was very moving last time around;  she replaced Lauren then, too, and I really liked her.  I'm looking forward to seeing what she makes of the role this time around.

• Like 1

I’m very glad I’ve booked to see Soares as Onegin one last time - he was terrific last time I saw him in the role.  He made me cry as Rudolf in Mayerling and I’ll miss his presence onstage at the ROH.  Wishing him all the very best.

• Like 1