Music editing software

AdageKitty

Hi!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and looking forward to the New Year.

I was wondering if anyone might know of any music editing software that could cut down/fade out/edit music for solos please?

Anything that could add a few beeps at the beginning would be useful too.

Thanks!

I am only familiar with Audacity, but I only do simple cutting, front and back and splicing in the middle. Fading and such like, I haven't tried.  So I , too,will also be interested in other suggestions. Sometimes it is a matter of having the time to learn how to use all the applications.  We have the app but don't know how to make best use of it.

• Like 1

Goldwave is worth looking at, I used to do all the music editing at a previous Amateur Ballet Company and at one time its sister contemporary dance company too. Goldwave will certainly do all you’ve ask for, amongst other things it will allow you to change the tempo of a phrase for things like pirouettes which is sometimes very handy without cutting the music rendering the transition virtually undetectable. I found this particularly useful for the third Odalisques variation in Le Corsaire for its sequence of  5 pirouette / arabesque combinations.

• Like 2

On 02/01/2020 at 21:56, Michelle_Richer said:

Goldwave will certainly do all you’ve ask for, amongst other things it will allow you to change the tempo of a phrase for things like pirouettes which is sometimes very handy without cutting the music rendering the transition virtually undetectable.

That's interesting, but if you slow it down, can you not detect then a lowering of pitch, which is what I can often hear where speed is altered, like an old slipping record? 

My DD will often start to prepare a variation with a slow version, that may be over a competition time limit, then bring it up to speed with a different and faster recording. She recently found the wrong(slow) version had been uploaded for one competition and so found herself doing the variation in what now appeared to be 'slow motion'. Still it taught her to check for herself the version sent, and also to be adaptable from three notes into the performance! Anyway she got a very creditable mark so all ended well.

It is interesting what skills we D's and M's of DC's learn along the way though.

Gold wave in its effects menu has a function called "Time Warp", and Time warp has 3 selectable options Rate Which does change pitch, Similarity that does not and FFT which also does not and but give best quality for music.

Before selecting the effects menu, you would set the start and stop time in the music for the segment you wanted to modify

I think one crucial point is what is your source of your music, from an orchestral CD, or from a video clip of a ballet. For me the accenting of the music is likely to be quite different. The reason I ask I have tried to load video files into Audacity, admittedly mine is from an old version 2.1.2 and it didn’t appear to load any video files at all.

Goldwave on the other hand does load both .WMV and .AVI files which extracts the audio which can then be saved to 15 different audio file types, I tend to use .MP3 mostly but have used both .WMA and .WAV. However I did find video files of .MP4 and FLV did not load with Goldwave.

Hope this helps

Is this the WavePad Sound Editor by NCH, if so I have it, or at least an evaluation version which I have never used, although I think it came as a suit of programs from NCH. I know each time I boot up this laptop up, its asking me if I want to buy it, I guess the full version. I have just checked that it does in fact run, but I don’t know all the features that are excluded, but the full version does allow the import of some video files, the free one doesn’t

On 04/01/2020 at 19:41, Bluebird22 said:

What is Audacity like storage wise? That’s my biggest issue with Hokusai the files are huge!

Audacity is a desktop app - so for size of files, you can use the biggest files that your computer can handle.

When exporting the edited file for use, you can tailor the bit rate to as large or as small as you like - obviously, larger files are better quality:

• Medium - 145-185 kb/s
  • Standard -  170-201 kb/s
  • Extreme - 220-260 kb/s
  • Insane - 320 kb/s

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I'm just learning how to edit audio files to create podcasts at the moment and we are using Audacity.

The first problem is that the Mac OS Catalina does not support Audacity!!!  There is a work around (but it may not work) but it means that I cannot record direct into my laptop.

If anyone else is a Mac User who uses Audacity you may wish to check if upgrading to Catalina will affect your use of the product!!  I had upgraded to Catalina before I became involved in the podcast team.

I've found Catalina causes no end of problems on the Macs at work, especially after upgrading from Hign Sierra. We're rolling back.

Have you tried GarageBand on the Mac? That's what students use at work, even though they have access to the full Adobe suite.

• Like 1

What sources do people use for music? Dd tends to find things on YouTube, but that’s often poor quality and I’m not sure of the legalities and practicalities of getting it off YouTube and on to a CD. Is there a better source for music that you want to use for competitions?