Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can I just ask if anyone has had any issues with the people who check the bags of patrons entering the building? Since they started doing this I have found it perfunctory and erratic - one I went through one of the side entrances of the old building and walked straight through as only the middle entrance was being "served"!

 

Yesterday my bag was searched by someone at the Piazza entrance. He was incredibly offhand, hardly looked in my bag at all and I was then dismissed with a hand gesture. No "thank you" or anything. The same happened to the woman in front of me.

 

Given these men are front of house and for a lot of people are their first human contact, I was very disappointed especially as I generally find most of the staff very helpful and friendly.

 

I will be contacting Customer Services.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose there's always a potential mismatch between security and customer service, if you employ staff who specialise in these two very different areas. I wouldn't object to a (literally) serious security focus, if that's what was happening (though of course that wouldn't really tally with Open Up); but there's no point having unsmiling and unfriendly security staff who then don't do a proper bag search (which is what happened yesterday - also at the Piazza entrance). So I think the ROH needs to decide what it's actually doing here.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I suppose there's always a potential mismatch between security and customer service, if you employ staff who specialise in these two very different areas. I wouldn't object to a (literally) serious security focus, if that's what was happening (though of course that wouldn't really tally with Open Up); but there's no point having unsmiling and unfriendly security staff who then don't do a proper bag search (which is what happened yesterday - also at the Piazza entrance). So I think the ROH needs to decide what it's actually doing here.

 

You must have had the same chap as me !

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in two of the entrances at different times yesterday. Neither time did the security person actually speak until I thanked them and then the one did say thank you back (he sounded slightly surprised so maybe some people they deal with aren’t very happy about having bags checked?). The thing that did strike me was what a waste of time it was, they really don’t look other than a cursory glance (my bag was pretty full so could have easily had a large item in the bottom unseen) and would have been happy for my daughter to walk past with her bag. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJW said:

 

You must have had the same chap as me !

 

 

And me. The Piazza entrance is often both cursory in its search and abrupt in its manner. It can't be easy as the person there has to cope with people coming in two doors, heading in three different directions, and seeking directions. It is not really a task for a single individual, especially as that way in is probably the most important in terms of 'Open Up'. I would position a smiling Usher close by.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, capybara said:

 

And me. The Piazza entrance is often both cursory in its search and abrupt in its manner. It can't be easy as the person there has to cope with people coming in two doors, heading in three different directions, and seeking directions. It is not really a task for a single individual, especially as that way in is probably the most important in terms of 'Open Up'. I would position a smiling Usher close by.

 

I agree about having an usher close by to help with queries and relieve pressure on the security man.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The current ‘security measures’ just aren’t suited to the Piazza entrance design, the gap between their little table and people heading straight to the shop is two wide to be manned by two people. 

 

The quality of the searches is uselessly fine for now  until something serious goes off, then we’ll have the airport style security of Hammersmith Apollo where you have to empty your pockets in to a tray and someone pats you down and interrogates you about a small bump on the inside of your jacket (a waist band toggle, officer) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it is a bit hit and miss, sometimes I walk straight in, other times I offer my handbag and they are not interested.   Its a bit like that at Sadlers Wells too.   I guess a random "look" is better than not bothering at all.   However, I would not like the airport security style  as mentioned above - too much but I understand why some places insist.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I encountered him last week too (near the Piazza entry) and I was very surprised to have to deal with such an unfriendly, unwelcoming chap. He checked my handbag but VERY superficially (glanced from a distance) but he did not pay any attention at all to the fact I was also carrying a plastic shopping bag with a parcel inside. He wasn't bothered at all. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The security men seem more interested in clicking their counters (do they get paid piece rates?) then actually searching anything. And some of them are very discourteous, one could say grunting more than speaking. I always give them a broad smile to deflect the grumpiness. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

For years people have tucked bits of clothing into dead spots in the amphitheatre rather than wear them or put them in the cloakroom. Not strictly within the rules but it seems to help relieve pressure on queues, saving people from tripping over things as they get to seats and so on. In any case whatever the rights and wrongs it has always seemed an uncontroversial part of life in the upper house.

 

However on Monday I saw an attendant ask someone to take back their jacket. They did so but also asked what the problem was. The answer was “My duty manager instructed me”. Maybe this is connected? 

 

Edited by Geoff
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I'm looking round for "gangs" and it looks like the usual crowd to me. However, I'm reminded of a recent trip to Milan when our guide on a walking tour told us to beware of pick pockets who looked like very well dressed ladies - but they are not...……….

A number of years ago I witnessed a bag snatch in Liverpool St station - the thief was dressed in a smart suit and looked like a business man waiting for his train. Police arrived from nowhere within seconds so had obviously been watching him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jane said:

A number of years ago I witnessed a bag snatch in Liverpool St station - the thief was dressed in a smart suit and looked like a business man waiting for his train. Police arrived from nowhere within seconds so had obviously been watching him. 


I’m also old enough to remember when there were Police close enough to intervene if there was trouble or an incident. Happy days 🙃

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, prs59 said:


I’m also old enough to remember when there were Police close enough to intervene if there was trouble or an incident. Happy days 🙃

There were no visible police before the event, as the women screamed they appeared from every direction 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...