Royal ballet, be a junior for the day?

balletmum20

There are a few threads on this already.

We took my youngest DD todo JA for a day in London in oct 2011. It was lovely an I would highly recommend it. She then auditioned for a year 4 place at Leeds but didn't get a place. We also auditioned my year 6 DD as an after thought bless her but she actually got a place and is at Leeds JA's currently. She is going to try for MAs at manchester but it is much harder to get onto. My youngest DD may audition for a year 5 place this year but to be honet the whole process of auditioning and being unsuccessful (and particularly her DS getting in!) has put her off so we may wait until she is going for a year 6 place or not at all!

We are just on our way home from an intensive 2 day audition workshop for year 6 JAs that was in Covent Garden. My daughter has loved it!

• Like 1

These are lots of fun and provide a good insight of what it would be like to be a JA. My son auditioned for year 4 JA but did not get in. Then we did one of these days. He auditioned again for year 5 and got in! Eloise - what is the aim of the audition workshop? It is assumed that the JAs will all be auditioning for vocational? Are all your year 6s doing that? We probably will, as I feel a bit like we are on the treadmill now, but it is scary......

My dd did JA for the day in February and really enjoyed it, she then auditioned for Y6, was put on the short waiting list and a few weeks after that was offered a place.

I think the reason that there aren't many Y4 places offered is that the children are so young

they only accept the ones they think would be

mature enough to cope with the classes, which

are about 2 1/4 hours long, a long time for an 8

year old to concentrate.

The Y6 workshop was great, my dd really enjoyed it. It was very audition oriented and I think it is assumed that most of the JAs will audition for either White lodge or MAs or both. Even if they don't audition they still get a lot out of the workshop.

Edited by dancingmuppet
  • Like 1

I think most of the JAs will audition. They said at the workshop that 95% of WL year 7's will come from current JAs but with 150 JAs and 12 girls an 12 boy places that's small odds! My DD is going to audition for MAs at manchester but not WL. I wouldn't want her to go to boarding school and neither does she. There are very few MA places so she is realistic about auditioning but she loved the audition workshop and now knows a lot more about what to expect.

Ahh - thanks for replying about the Year 6 audition workshop. I never really considered vocational schools as being possible but now that my son is a JA I see that there is perhaps a 20% chance or so on pure odds, so I have to consider it............

Regarding the Year 4/Year 5 JA thing, when we auditioned for year 4 the rejection letter specifically asked us to audition for year 5. As I understand it, there are 3 types of letter, yes, no, and try again next year...... But I have heard of children getting the straight no letter and still getting in the year after so I would not let that put anyone off trying........I think they only offered a couple of Year 4 places, but I can see that those children are very talented, so i guess that is why..........

I know what you mean EP about it being easier when they decide not to try again!

I was disappointed when my dd didn't get MAs after being a JA and she then never wanted to try again. And despite finding out one of her old JA friends got in to MAs the following year, she's never regretted her decision. It kind of freed her up to pursue other things (she still dances at nearly 18 but is following an academic route).

My sons both got waiting list letters for JAs, one got a place (and is now a professional ballet dancer) and the other didn't (and gave up ballet a couple of years later). Those decisions by the audition panel had a huge impact on my children's lives - didn't consider that at the time all those years ago!

• Like 1

There are a few threads on this already.

It's just occurred to me that if you run a search for 'Be a JA for the day' it doesn't work because the search engine doesn't recognise words less than 4 characters long...

Drives me crazy because you can't search for JA, MA, SA, RBS, RAD, etc etc, - so many abbreviations!