Sir David Bintley it is/New Year Honours List 2020

• Ian Macmillan changed the title to Sir David Bintley it is/New Year Honours List 2020

A quick trawl of the New Year Honours List produced the following Dance-related awards.  The list may not be exhaustive.  The Cabinet Office list is here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/855178/New-Year-Honours-2020.pdf

It was searched using the term 'dance;' nothing came up using 'ballet.'

New Year Honours List

KBE - David Bintley CBE

CBE – Shobana Jeyasingh MBE

CBE – Stephen Mear

OBE – Mirella Bartrip

OBE – David Toole

MBE – Judith Palmer

I have modified the thread title accordingly.

• Like 11

Great news ....I can remember when he was a new boy having just left the RBS and a friend of mine who was up in these things at the time ( mid 70’s) told me it was predicted he would be doing great things especially with choreography right from early days. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Katherine:  Many thanks for drawing attention to Ms Wheater's award.  It appears on the separate Diplomatic Service and Overseas List.

Mr Wheater! 

51 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Great news ....I can remember when he was a new boy having just left the RBS and a friend of mine who was up in these things at the time ( mid 70’s) told me it was predicted he would be doing great things especially with choreography right from early days. 

And the greatest Petrushka I've ever seen.

• Like 5

Well, I hope someone amongst the powers that be in Birmingham will have nominated him! As well as the wonderful company he built up and the way he steered it through less prosperous times, he actively supported educational work in the City . I was fortunate to have first hand experience of this at a sixth form college some years back. He came with two principal dancers and ran a masterclass and was very generous with his time. I know of others who testify to his commitment to projects with young people. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

wouldn't it have been good for ballet if some mention had been made in the BBC?  Hope there's more interest in Birmingham.

The BBC news website was more interested in the guy who created Peaky Blinders who has been given a CBE.  I am recording Midlands Today and Central News, probably more in hope than expectation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Unsurprisingly, BRB have made this headline news on their website. It’s accompanied by a nice quote from Sir David.

https://www.brb.org.uk/post/arise-sir-david

Lovely tribute, and lovely and characteristic comment from Sir David. I do feel that it's a great shame (to put it mildly) that he did not receive this honour while still director of the company.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I do feel that it's a great shame (to put it mildly) that he did not receive this honour while still director of the company.

Quite!

As I quite often shorthand Sir Peter Wright to SPW (and I remember Jeremy Isaacs coming on stage at the end of a Nutcracker matinee in Birmingham to announce that Peter Wright had become SPW) I shall now shorthand Sir David Bintley to SDB! 

• Like 2