Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Personally, I can’t think of anything more daft in these straitened times than abandoning Scarlett’s Swan Lake.  Yes, many of us have reservations about certain aspects of the production, but it has been widely acclaimed.  Most importantly, it sells fast and well and RB’s dancers have prepared for it.  Ditching it when the economy has just been trashed would seem like artistic judgement gone mad.  The official line is that Scarlett has no case to answer so why would our first rank ballet company wrinkle its hyper-sensitive nose?  This is a time for clear thinking in order to rebuild finances so my suggestion would be that they kick off the new season with Swan Lake, followed by as many Nutcrackers as they can squeeze in.

 

Personally, I was very much hoping for Woolf Works but Alice may be a better choice and Bayadere would surely sell well.  Winters Tale not so much as on its third outing it did not sell particularly quickly.

 

I understand your opinion, penelopesimpson, and I agree that any extra costs will need to kept to a minimum in all respects for the foreseeable future. It really depends on whether the RB can continue to use Scarlett's contributions to this SL without working with him at all (and whether by that they also mean him not benefitting financially from future performances). If not, as suggested above the designs could/should be retained and elements of past productions incorporated at the least possible expense.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just repeating Sim's words about discussion of the Covid-19 - Corona Virus emergency:

 

"Hi all.  In these extraordinary times, we mods understand that everyone is worried about the current world health pandemic.  As is always the case with social media, any big news gives rise to rumour, speculation and mis-information.  For this reason, we are asking that, going forward, any discussion of the Covid-19 virus be limited to its effect on cultural closures.  Please don't discuss the medical or political aspects of this problem.  We have already had a couple of posts reported, and in order to stem anything further from snowballing we are curtailing inappropriate comments, even if they are made in good faith and with helpful intent.  We don't want to risk adding to anyone's worry or distress, or disseminating mis-information.

 

We wish you all well;  take good care of yourselves.  In the meantime, please keep sharing your thoughts about what gives us joy in this increasingly strange world:  ballet and dance.  Thank you for your understanding.

 

With best wishes,

Sim

Chair, BalletcoForum Committee" 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

 

To clarify this, the investigation into allegations made relating to students at the Royal Ballet School found no wrongdoing; the results of the investigation into other allegations have not been made public.  That being said, I personally have no issue with the RB maintaining its current production of Swan Lake (though I still don't really like the ending).

Astonishingly, I agree with you wholeheartedly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/03/2020 at 23:09, alison said:

 

Not only that, but the unexpectedly poor ticket sales for 2019, too ... :( 

 

I expect this was reported at the time, but which ballets in particular sold poorly?  I thought the season consisted of the usual mixture of "safe" classics, and new works.  Or do you mean poor ticket sales for the ROH in general, including the opera?

How many people on here received the email asking for feedback on the ROH?  I have filled these in before, and the following question always puzzles me.  "Which of the following describe your motivations for attending? (Tick all that apply)"

There are 17 different choices, including Other:
 

  1. To spend time with friends and family
  2. For a special occasion
  3. For peace and quiet
  4. To be intellectually stimulated
  5. To be entertained
  6. To be inspired
  7. To do something new/out of the ordinary
  8. To learn something
  9. To enjoy the atmosphere
  10. For reflection
  11. Dance/Music is an important part of who I am
  12. To escape from everyday life
  13. For academic reasons
  14. For professional reasons
  15. To entertain my children
  16. To educate/stimulate my children
  17. Other

I found myself musing over some of these choices.   The academic in me starts to ponder what some of these actually mean?  What constitutes intellectual stimulation, for example?  Something that provokes heated debate afterwards?  Would that really be someone's motivation for going to the ballet or opera?  Doesn't everyone who attends a place of entertainment (be it the ROH or the local Odeon cinema) do so to be entertained?  And while I enjoy going to see the ballet, I wouldn't exactly say it is an important part of who I am.  On the other hand, the reason why many people attend, which is to see a particular performer in a particular role, doesn't seem to be included.  I shall have to put that down under Other.  

 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

 

I expect this was reported at the time, but which ballets in particular sold poorly?  I thought the season consisted of the usual mixture of "safe" classics, and new works.  Or do you mean poor ticket sales for the ROH in general, including the opera?
 

Manon comes to mind...esp opening night

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Err, a joke?  Humour?  Honest irony?  Self-deprecation?  What on earth else could it possibly be?
 

Disappointing Dave.

 

It obviously wasn’t very clear to everyone that it was a joke.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

Manon comes to mind...esp opening night

 

Don Quixote, initially, the Two Pigeons bill, Frankenstein ...  Can't remember what else was on last season.  I don't know what the opera sales were like.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

I found myself musing over some of these choices.   The academic in me starts to ponder what some of these actually mean?  What constitutes intellectual stimulation, for example?  Something that provokes heated debate afterwards?  Would that really be someone's motivation for going to the ballet or opera?  Doesn't everyone who attends a place of entertainment (be it the ROH or the local Odeon cinema) do so to be entertained?  And while I enjoy going to see the ballet, I wouldn't exactly say it is an important part of who I am.  On the other hand, the reason why many people attend, which is to see a particular performer in a particular role, doesn't seem to be included.  I shall have to put that down under Other.  

 

The list is something of a nonsense Fonty, you are right to query it. As I have received similar (maybe identical) attempts at social science polling from different Arts Council-supported organisations I can only imagine that the ROH is required to gather this non-data as part of the Maoist requirements that lie behind receiving ACE support. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've stopped doing surveys because of the ludicrous questions they ask.  As they are nearly all the same no matter which theatre or company they have come from I think Geoff is correct in that it is the Arts Council that requires this.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Anna C said:

 

It obviously wasn’t very clear to everyone that it was a joke.  

No, you’re right.  Predictably there’s always the usual suspects....

 

You really would have to be ?....?......I know not what to take offence at such an innocuous statement.  Puzzled

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

No, you’re right.  Predictably there’s always the usual suspects....

 

You really would have to be ?....?......I know not what to take offence at such an innocuous statement.  Puzzled

 

I don’t understand your implication or “?....?......”.

 

Personally, had I written something I thought funny but that other people did not, I would assume the lack of clarity was *my* mistake as the author, not theirs as the reader.  

 

Anyway, perhaps we could get back on topic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quite Anna (I always find that if I laugh at my own joke and no-one else is laughing then it's not a joke!).

 

I would love to see Scenes de Ballet again.  Does anyone think there is any chance of that being revived any time soon?  (I would also like BRB to do it again).

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if I should attach a link for the sake of protocol or practicality, but I just read a recent Russian interview with Osipova that suggested O'Hare is intending to bring back the likes of Dante's Inferno and Swan Lake next season since the audience/dancers/artists involved missed out on them. She also talks about her life post-quarantine if that interests anybody, and how all of the rest of the company are coping with company-led classes they do in the morning together spearheaded by instructors like Brian. 

 

Edit: I'll just go ahead and attach the link: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4316257

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Not sure if I should attach a link for the sake of protocol or practicality, but I just read a recent Russian interview with Osipova that suggested O'Hare is intending to bring back the likes of Dante's Inferno and Swan Lake next season since the audience/dancers/artists involved missed out on them. She also talks about her life post-quarantine if that interests anybody, and how all of the rest of the company are coping with company-led classes they do in the morning together spearheaded by instructors like Brian. 

 

Edit: I'll just go ahead and attach the link: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4316257


Thank you - she always comes across so well in interviews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, HappyTurk said:

Not sure if I should attach a link for the sake of protocol or practicality, but I just read a recent Russian interview with Osipova that suggested O'Hare is intending to bring back the likes of Dante's Inferno and Swan Lake next season since the audience/dancers/artists involved missed out on them. She also talks about her life post-quarantine if that interests anybody, and how all of the rest of the company are coping with company-led classes they do in the morning together spearheaded by instructors like Brian. 

 

Edit: I'll just go ahead and attach the link: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4316257

I’m possibly just being completely dumb here but how do I switch it from Russian to English or do i just have to copy into translate? 🤦🏼‍♀️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SugarPlum2000 said:

I’m possibly just being completely dumb here but how do I switch it from Russian to English or do i just have to copy into translate? 🤦🏼‍♀️

Not dumb at all! Normally, when I click on non-English interviews, I immediately get a notification from Google translate on the top right of my phone/laptop screen that asks me if I want to translate it into English. Sometimes, it doesn't pop up so I have to click out and re-enter the page until I get the notification. But I will say it is much easier to get the whole thing translated by Google translate on my laptop. Sometimes, it lags on my phone. 

 

 

Edited by HappyTurk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noticed this on the SFB (San Francisco Ballet) website:

 

SAN FRANCISCO, April 2, 2020—San Francisco Ballet’s November 11–15 tour to the National Ballet of Canada (NBC) has been cancelled, announced earlier today by the NBC. The cancellations result from extraordinary challenges presented by COVID-19: “These unprecedented circumstances have required us to make changes to the 2020/21 season including the postponement of the company’s appearance at the Royal Opera House in London, the world premiere of Wayne McGregor’s MADDADDAM, the North American premiere of Cathy Marston’s Victoria and the guest appearance by San Francisco Ballet,” the NBC stated today in their press release.

Edited by Bruce Wall
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Noticed this on the SFB (San Francisco Ballet) website:

 

SAN FRANCISCO, April 2, 2020—San Francisco Ballet’s November 11–15 tour to the National Ballet of Canada (NBC) has been cancelled, announced earlier today by the NBC. The cancellations result from extraordinary challenges presented by COVID-19: “These unprecedented circumstances have required us to make changes to the 2020/21 season including the postponement of the company’s appearance at the Royal Opera House in London, the world premiere of Wayne McGregor’s MADDADDAM, the North American premiere of Cathy Marston’s Victoria and the guest appearance by San Francisco Ballet,” the NBC stated today in their press release.

 

They were supposed to be appearing at the ROH?  Have I missed something, or is that why you posted in the RB thread?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...