Christmas and New Year-ish dance on television and radio 2019/20

Putting this together from a variety of sources and contributors (to whom thanks very much, particularly RMM1 and Janite) just so we have everything more or less in one place.  Apologies that some of the showings are now past, but people may be able to catch up with them on BBC iPlayer at least.

Northern Ballet's Victoria has already been on BBC 4 https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cdzp

A repeat of last year’s interesting Radio 3 programme about The Nutcracker was transmitted last week and is now online: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001ss8 (discussion thread here:

Also past already: ‘Nutcracker’ was Radio 3’s Building a Library on Saturday 21 December 9:30 am.

(Janite has put a whole load of dance-related repeats here:

Matthew Bourne has already been on Private Passions on Radio 3 (22nd December); Darcey Bussell is on on 29 December.

A Royal Ballet Nutcracker was on Sky Arts at 8 am this morning - not sure which one.  May well be repeated at 6 am on Boxing Day (primetime viewing for ballet again, eh?)

Billy Elliot The Musical (scraping the barrel a bit) is just about to start on Pick (Freeview channel 11) as I write.

A repeat of Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet is on BBC Two on Christmas Day at 12 noon.

Derek Jacobi narrates The Nutcracker at 5 pm on Christmas Day on Classic FM.

(For opera lovers, there's Glyndebourne's Magic Flute on BBC4 Christmas Day, 7 pm)

Essential Royal Ballet is on BBC Four on 29th December at 7pm. Described as Katie Derham introduces a spectacular selection of highlights from an incredible past decade at the Royal Ballet.

Snow Queen by Scottish Ballet is on BBC Scotland on 24th and 28th December at 7.30pm (or possibly 8.15 pm, depending on sources).  Also on BBC4 on Sunday 5th Jan at 7.30pm

The filmed Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words is on BBC Two on New Years Day at 5.30pm.

There's a "Cinderella" showing on Sky Arts at 6 am on 2nd January - no idea whether it's actually a ballet or not.

Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot BBC 4 10pm, Sunday 5th January 2020

... and I realise I haven't actually finished going through the radio section of the Radio Times ...

Please let me know what I've missed, and I'll add it.

• Like 6

Well, after a few weeks of having to cancel outings due to flu, I got my ballet fix today with 'Dancing the Nutcracker'.  What a treat!  Hayward was adorable, as always, and these backstage insights are always so fascinating.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b086kdzl/dancing-the-nutcracker-inside-the-royal-ballet

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Well, after a few weeks of having to cancel outings due to flu, I got my ballet fix today with 'Dancing the Nutcracker'.  What a treat!  Hayward was adorable, as always, and these backstage insights are always so fascinating.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b086kdzl/dancing-the-nutcracker-inside-the-royal-ballet

I still have this on my Sky+ box from when it first aired - always fascinating to re-watch when I need a pick-me-up!

• Like 1

Just wanted to note how appalling the Sky Arts programming is over the Festive season. Several airings of the Nutcracker early in the morning is pathetic for an Arts Channel and  it’s not even a new screening.

Their offering for Christmas Day was a whole day of programmes about a Freddy Mercury and Queen. 
Bah  humbug!

• Like 3

"The Sound of Movie Musicals" episode 1 of 3 was on BBC4 this evening 26th Dec, assume it'll be on iPlayer.  About 3/4 hour in, got to Fred Astaire and had interview including tap demonstrations with Stephen McCrae. Lot more dance as well. I intend to watch episodes 2 and 3 on 27th and 28th. 

• Like 2