I am so pleased that the tone of the comments has begun to change. Most of the twitter venom was posted before the film was released!

Everyone has their own favourite version of 'Memory' but for me there is only one version - Streisand sitting alone with the mike - a masterclass in how to handle a lyric:

I tried to post the link but seem to have have logged the actual recording. Sorry!

Edited by David
  • Like 3

Well a friend and I finally caught up with Cats this afternoon and we both really enjoyed the film.

I thought the CGI was fine, rather liked the sometimes skewed perspectives and I particularly liked the way the cats' ears and tails twitched.  I enjoyed the performances - particularly Ian McKellen, Francesca Hayward, Robbie Fairchild and Steven McRae.

My friend and I both agreed that a lot of the critics had been unnecessarily vicious and couldn't understand why.

Richard LH has articulated my thoughts with much more eloquence so I will finish there.

• Like 7

My friend saw it and enjoyed it too. She thought Francesca was lovely and also hadn’t realised how essential her role is in the film and she particularly loved Stephen McCrae’s tap dancing sequence. Her only main criticism is that the camera moved too quickly from shot to shot on occasions so sometimes a bit jerky. But she couldn’t understand what all the anti fuss was about either having seen it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caught up with the film this afternoon, and very much enjoyed it.  Having no particular memory of the stage show, I took no objection to the style used here at all.  Perhaps there was no surprise after seeing the trailer online?  The experienced actors did all that was asked of them, particularly Ian McKellen and Judi Dench - and on the evidence of today plus that in R&J - Beyond Words, there's no denying that Francesca Hayward is a compelling young lady in closeup.  We need not be surprised if other Directors come calling for her.  Robert Fairchild and Steven McCrae kept their ends up really rather well, and overall the film looks to have been an excellent gig for a fair number of dancers.  Can't think why there was such a negative reaction at its release.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Can't think why there was such a negative reaction at its release.

I've not seen it, and unless it comes on telly, unlikely to if I'm honest. But playing devil's advocate - I think a lot of the fuss origianlly was made because the cgi 'add-ons' looked plain weird, creepy even. Apparently, the released film still wasn't that great, so they redid the cgi again, and changed all the 'prints' in the cinemas showing it, with these newly enhnaced cgi effects. Which were a lot better by all accounts.

So that might account for people seeing it AFTER the first week of release, being less spooked than those who saw the original - and the trailers from the summer

• Like 2