Vintage dance magazines and dance books to give away

We are looking for a home for a collection of over 300 vintage dance magazines (Dancing Times and Dance & Dancers) mainly from the 1950s and 1960s, with some dating back to the 1940s and a few from the 1970s. These are fascinating reading for anyone interested in the history and development of ballet in the UK and are in very good condition.

There is also a collection of over 100 ballet and dance books dating from the 1930s until just a few years ago.

Everything is free of charge (we just want them to go to people who'll enjoy them) although if possible we would ask you to collect the items you want (easy access location in South East England). 

Sadly, if we can't find anyone to take them, the magazines will end up going into the recycling, which seems an awful waste.

If you are interested in taking anything, or would like more details, please PM me.

Edited by Ballet448
  • Like 2

I hope you find a home for these, Ballet448. Might it be worth offering them to a dance library if not? e.g. the RAD library - see https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/about-us/the-philip-richardson-library/contact-faqs/faq/ and I'm sure there are others. They may not want all of them, but they might take them on the grounds that they could sell the rest and that would raise funds for them. Or they might suggest other possible recipients.

• Like 2

Many thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions.  I have replied to all PMs received.

Unfortunately it seems that dance libraries aren't interested, as they already have complete collections and don't need partial ones like these - at least that's what we've found so far, but we can certainly keep trying.

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone who has replied.

All the magazines are now spoken for - my apologies if anyone is disappointed.   It was a pleasant surprise that so many people were interested and it's very nice to know that the magazines can be of real use.

The 120 books are currently being listed.  Once that's done I will send the details to all the people who have expressed interest in them and post again here in case anyone else would like  the information.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

You don't happen to have the drina ballerina series by Jean estoril at all please? I read these as a child but can't find them for my DD. Many thanks x

Sorry, no - no children's books.  Good luck trying to find them!

Edited by Ballet448

1 hour ago, Ballet448 said:

I have now sent the list of books to everyone who has already PMed me about them. 

The books are going fast, but if you are interested please feel free to PM me.

I'm so glad you're finding homes for the mags and books, Ballet448!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

You don't happen to have the drina ballerina series by Jean estoril at all please? I read these as a child but can't find them for my DD. Many thanks x

There seem to be quite a lot on AbeBooks:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=estoril&tn=&kn=drina&isbn=

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Ooh I remember those Drina books... Drina at the Wells....that alongside pictures of Margot Fonteyn & her peers just inspired me so much to just want to dance! 

I think you may be conflating two series. The Wells series was by Lorna Hill. The Drina series was by Jean Estoril (a pen-name for Mabel Esther Allen). It was the Wells books, especially the earlier ones, that mentioned real-life dancers such as Fonteyn as role-models for the heroines who aspired to join the Wells. The Drina books featured a fictional ballet company called the Dominick & as far as I recall didn't mention real-life dancers.

• Like 1

Oh that slightly shatters my little girl memories..... I was sure Drina got to live out my dream & joined the Wells Ballet School (I equated to RBS)  then the company 😃

In the ‘Wells’ books was there one main lead character? 

Funny how some snippets from books remain with you...& do indeed seem part of ones own character!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Oh that slightly shatters my little girl memories..... I was sure Drina got to live out my dream & joined the Wells Ballet School (I equated to RBS)  then the company 😃

Funny how some snippets from books remain with you...& do indeed seem part of ones own character!

I think Veronica was a lead character in the Wells books (which for some reason I never read/discovered). And I only read and enjoyed the Drina books later - maybe I was in my twenties. But you're right - bits from books do stay with you for ever, though sometimes the source/s might get confused. What matters is the power of the effect. I loved the two Ballet Family books by Mabel Esther Allan (Jean Estoril) and they influenced me very strongly - about ballet yes, but also about all sorts of other things including London and Paris.

12 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Not through the whole series. It started with Veronica then moved through Caroline (Veronica's cousin), Jane, Ella, Rosanna, Fazia, Sylvia, Vicki (Veronica's daughter), Nona, Anna & Vanessa. Some of them only feature in one book and some re-appear in several. Not all of them "make it" as dancers & the amount of dance content is fairly small in some of the later books.

Returning to the original topic 😊, just want to let everybody know that all the books as well as the magazines are now spoken for.  It's wonderful to know that they are going to good homes where they will be enjoyed and will help with some excellent research projects.

Many thanks again for all the interest and support - and Happy New Year!

• Like 2