Anyone else having problems this afternoon?

alison

(Or technically yesterday afternoon now).

I suddenly became unable to get anywhere on the site.  The "Performances" page would be up, but without the dot indicators for threads with new posts showing up.  I could click on where they should be, in which case the URL showing would change to the appropriate URL, but I'd still be stuck in "Performances".  Didn't have time to check it on different browsers, and it appears to be okay now.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the start of the new year, I have had to keep signing in all the time, in spite of the fact that the box saying "keep me signed in is ticked."  The first time it happened, it told me I had the wrong password, in spite of the fact that I know I had the correct one, and I had to apply for a new password.  

Now I keep getting an error message, saying something has gone wrong and to contact the administrators.  However, if I close and reopen the site, I find I am  logged in.  Happened twice this morning, so I have used the Contact button.  

Edited by Fonty

I've not had a problem today Fonty but over the last week I have had intermittent problems on my laptop trying to move between pages and getting error messages indicating the site was down.  On checking the site on my phone it has still been OK!

It looks as though there are a couple of intermittent issues affecting intermittent people...

Could everyone please let us know if they are finding any of these issues, even if it only happens once, so that we can see if there is some sort of a pattern.  Thanks.

• Like 1

What I think is happening is browser/operating system updates corrupting stored logons. Maybe the forum's updates may be a factor too, if you were logged in when they were done.

The only advice I can give (beyond using a different browser) is to go through the browser settings, and remove stored passwords for the forum (and cookies too, if you can find them). Close down the browser. Reopen the broswer and manually logon to the forum, storing the password afresh. This worked for me. Chrome seems particularly prone to this, so I have switched back from that to Firefox, and haven't had a problem since

I had the problem last night when I tried to access it via Firefox: I was logged out, and there was the error message just as when the forum actually was down the other day.  Logged into Internet Explorer, and all was fine.

11 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

What I think is happening is browser/operating system updates corrupting stored logons. Maybe the forum's updates may be a factor too, if you were logged in when they were done.

The only advice I can give (beyond using a different browser) is to go through the browser settings, and remove stored passwords for the forum (and cookies too, if you can find them). Close down the browser. Reopen the broswer and manually logon to the forum, storing the password afresh. This worked for me. Chrome seems particularly prone to this, so I have switched back from that to Firefox, and haven't had a problem since

Dave, I have been using Chrome for years, never had a problem before.  It seems to be something that started right at the end of last year, or beginning of this one.   can do as you suggest, but I am not entirely sure if that is the issue.    

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Dave, I have been using Chrome for years, never had a problem before.  It seems to be something that started right at the end of last year, or beginning of this one.   can do as you suggest, but I am not entirely sure if that is the issue.    

I have spoken to the forum's support team, and they assure me, that the Invision software that runs 'us', would not manage IDs and passwords - they are stored in the browser settings.

This is a bit of a guess, but I noticed when I was having problems, that when the auto-fill put my details into the logon panel, the password looked way longer than it should - so my guess was that maybe the password was entered twice (e.g. PassWordPassWord). This then fails your logon - and after jigging about a bit, the logon panel get the correct info and in you go. I had used Chrome for years too (after Firefox had problems some time back). But then this issue occurred, and I was also finding that if I left a session open on my laptop (by just closing the lid) when I came back to my computer it was running very hot, as Chrome seeemd to be 'doing something' in my absence (my paranoia went loopy!). So I reverted to Firefox and use Safari to do admin stuff, and I now have a cool-running computer with no logon issues

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 10:59, alison said:

I had the problem last night when I tried to access it via Firefox: I was logged out, and there was the error message just as when the forum actually was down the other day.

And the same again today (admittedly after a Firefox update): logged out because Firefox says the login is insecure, and when I logged in I got the same error message as before.  After a bit of refreshing and clicking, I was able to get back onto the forum.