TinyNEDancer

English Youth Ballet - Cinderella in Hollywood

Hi all

I just thought that I would start a thread to find out if anyone/anyone's children were going to be in EYB Cinderella in Hollywood in Darlington (or another location?). If so this might be a useful place to 'meet', share info etc.

Also, if anyone has done this ballet, I would love to hear more about it. I have a junior girl...

I hope there are others out there too... :)

DD1 danced this in June in Oxford and loved it. All the parts were great fun. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you more about parts for junior girls. Great ballet to watch!

My son was given a junior place but unfortunately the rehersal dates clash with the RBS spring intensive so he won’t be able to do it which is a shame! Good luck to your daughter for rehersals! x

I've no experience of this particular production as it is relatively new, but my DD did EYB multiple times when she was younger. Each production was excellent so I am sure your DD will have a fabulous time. It is hard work, but very enjoyable and there is always a lot to learn.

In my experience, there are no "bad" parts in EYB. Yes, some children do get featured a bit more, with small group dances or solos, but everyone gets a good amount of time on stage, and even in the biggest groups I noticed that the choreography is done in such a way that every dancer is seen. My DD didn't always get the parts she had hoped for but she thoroughly enjoyed what she was given and learned new things every time, so I would say it is best not to think too much about specific parts. In my experience, those who go in with a positive attitude and embrace the opportunities that their part gives them have a great time and learn a lot. I think my DD got at least as much out of the daily ballet class as she did from learning and performing her part for the production in fact - she loved the whole experience. If she wasn't too old now I am sure she would be back like a shot. I have to confess to feeling a bit envious of those must starting out.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bunny said:

My son was given a junior place but unfortunately the rehersal dates clash with the RBS spring intensive so he won’t be able to do it which is a shame! Good luck to your daughter for rehersals! x

Oh no! That is a shame! But not a bad reason for a clash 😬. We have a lot going on over the rehearsal period too, but luckily we think we can just about juggle it... 

I hope your son really enjoys the RBS Intensive.

Was he one of the boys at the audition on Sunday? I loved watching the group of boys, they were great! 

9 hours ago, MAK said:

DD1 danced this in June in Oxford and loved it. All the parts were great fun. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you more about parts for junior girls. Great ballet to watch!

Thank you! She’s really excited to start rehearsals 😊

6 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

I've no experience of this particular production as it is relatively new, but my DD did EYB multiple times when she was younger. Each production was excellent so I am sure your DD will have a fabulous time. It is hard work, but very enjoyable and there is always a lot to learn.

In my experience, there are no "bad" parts in EYB. Yes, some children do get featured a bit more, with small group dances or solos, but everyone gets a good amount of time on stage, and even in the biggest groups I noticed that the choreography is done in such a way that every dancer is seen. My DD didn't always get the parts she had hoped for but she thoroughly enjoyed what she was given and learned new things every time, so I would say it is best not to think too much about specific parts. In my experience, those who go in with a positive attitude and embrace the opportunities that their part gives them have a great time and learn a lot. I think my DD got at least as much out of the daily ballet class as she did from learning and performing her part for the production in fact - she loved the whole experience. If she wasn't too old now I am sure she would be back like a shot. I have to confess to feeling a bit envious of those must starting out.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, she’s not at all bothered about which ‘part’ she is given, in fact, she hasn’t even mentioned it! She’s delighted to be part of the whole experience. This was her first time auditioning as she’s just 8, and she’s been keen to audition for years so she’s feeling v lucky 😊

Thank you so much for the info and enthusiasm, she’ll be excited to read this! 

My DD did Cinderella in Hollywood in Oxford last year too. She was 9 but is tiny, so was in the group of the smallest girls with mostly 8 year olds, which in Oxford was a group of 8 girls.  I'm guessing your DD could well be in that group unless she's very tall.  They get to be "Shirley Temples", in the first act, and had a dance to "Tea for Two" in the second act, and had a couple of small extra bits towards the end during the clock chiming 12 etc. IIRC.  I thought it was a great production, and I really enjoyed the music, which is mostly Shostakovich.

DD had a fantastic time - so much so that she's doing EYB again this year in Aylesbury (and was actually not particularly disappointed about not getting into LCB this week, because she knew that she couldn't do both and is so looking forward to EYB).

2 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Oh no! That is a shame! But not a bad reason for a clash 😬. We have a lot going on over the rehearsal period too, but luckily we think we can just about juggle it... 

I hope your son really enjoys the RBS Intensive.

Was he one of the boys at the audition on Sunday? I loved watching the group of boys, they were great! 

Good luck with the juggling! We always seem to somehow make it work don’t we and it’s so worth it for their little faces! Ha. 

Yes, my DS was the one with the ponytail! Ha! Always easy to identify him by his hair! 😂

My daughter was at the audition last Sunday & she was also successful in the junior auditions. We live a good 75 minutes away from Darlington, so are still weighing up the pro's & con's of taking part. It's a long way for a 10 year old to travel on top of an intense schedule. They are long sessions & I have to admit I wasn't expecting them to be so late into the evening. I would be interested to hear how other children have coped with this schedule. 

56 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

My daughter was at the audition last Sunday & she was also successful in the junior auditions. We live a good 75 minutes away from Darlington, so are still weighing up the pro's & con's of taking part. It's a long way for a 10 year old to travel on top of an intense schedule. They are long sessions & I have to admit I wasn't expecting them to be so late into the evening. I would be interested to hear how other children have coped with this schedule. 

Well done to your daughter! 

The sessions are long time-wise, but from what I understand there is quite a lot of sitting and watching others dance during rehersals? So they aren’t at it non-stop...but saying that sometimes it’s just as tiring for them to sit around waiting for their turn, isn’t it!

I would say if your DD is really keen, give it a go! My DS is dancing with the Birmingham Royal Ballet in The Nutcracker at The RAH this year. Birmingham is 3 hours away from us and when I saw all the rehersal times, at first I thought ‘Oh no, what have we done!’ 🤭😂 And wondered whether he would be able to cope, on top of all his normal classes etc. But he has absolutely loved it all, even when he knows we have to travel six hours with a few hours practice sandwiched in between, he doesn’t feel tired because he really wants to do it. Some evenings his rehersals finish at 8.30pm so we don’t get back until 1am and he is still raring to go for school (and dance!) the next day. Your DD will probably surprise you, but only you really know how intense everything else she has going on is and how well she usually copes with having a lot on. Good luck if you decide to go for it, I am sure she will be wonderful! x

8 hours ago, Bunny said:

Well done to your daughter! 

The sessions are long time-wise, but from what I understand there is quite a lot of sitting and watching others dance during rehersals? So they aren’t at it non-stop...but saying that sometimes it’s just as tiring for them to sit around waiting for their turn, isn’t it!

I would say if your DD is really keen, give it a go! My DS is dancing with the Birmingham Royal Ballet in The Nutcracker at The RAH this year. Birmingham is 3 hours away from us and when I saw all the rehersal times, at first I thought ‘Oh no, what have we done!’ 🤭😂 And wondered whether he would be able to cope, on top of all his normal classes etc. But he has absolutely loved it all, even when he knows we have to travel six hours with a few hours practice sandwiched in between, he doesn’t feel tired because he really wants to do it. Some evenings his rehersals finish at 8.30pm so we don’t get back until 1am and he is still raring to go for school (and dance!) the next day. Your DD will probably surprise you, but only you really know how intense everything else she has going on is and how well she usually copes with having a lot on. Good luck if you decide to go for it, I am sure she will be wonderful! x

Wow! What an opportunity for your DS. That's amazing. He must make you so proud. 

Thanks for your reply. It is the sitting around waiting that I think will make her tired. She's also quite shy, which may make the sitting around seem even longer, especially if I'm not there with her, which I'm guessing I won't be able to stay. She loves to dance though.

I'm just an over-protective mum doing this for the first time, I think. I need to let her decide. 

Congratulations to you did.

My son has done 3 EYB performances and although a massive commitment he has thoroughly enjoyed every moment. He learnt so much and made lots of lasting friends (he too was shy). The performances are fabulous and so professional and  as a result he has now turned to full time vocational training at 16. I would recommend the experience to any dancer, just be prepared to put the hours in.