Jump to content

English Youth Ballet - Cinderella in Hollywood


Recommended Posts

Hi all

 

I just thought that I would start a thread to find out if anyone/anyone's children were going to be in EYB Cinderella in Hollywood in Darlington (or another location?). If so this might be a useful place to 'meet', share info etc.

 

Also, if anyone has done this ballet, I would love to hear more about it. I have a junior girl...

 

I hope there are others out there too... :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no experience of this particular production as it is relatively new, but my DD did EYB multiple times when she was younger. Each production was excellent so I am sure your DD will have a fabulous time. It is hard work, but very enjoyable and there is always a lot to learn.

In my experience, there are no "bad" parts in EYB. Yes, some children do get featured a bit more, with small group dances or solos, but everyone gets a good amount of time on stage, and even in the biggest groups I noticed that the choreography is done in such a way that every dancer is seen. My DD didn't always get the parts she had hoped for but she thoroughly enjoyed what she was given and learned new things every time, so I would say it is best not to think too much about specific parts. In my experience, those who go in with a positive attitude and embrace the opportunities that their part gives them have a great time and learn a lot. I think my DD got at least as much out of the daily ballet class as she did from learning and performing her part for the production in fact - she loved the whole experience. If she wasn't too old now I am sure she would be back like a shot. I have to confess to feeling a bit envious of those must starting out.

Enjoy!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bunny said:

My son was given a junior place but unfortunately the rehersal dates clash with the RBS spring intensive so he won’t be able to do it which is a shame! Good luck to your daughter for rehersals! x

Oh no! That is a shame! But not a bad reason for a clash 😬. We have a lot going on over the rehearsal period too, but luckily we think we can just about juggle it... 

 

I hope your son really enjoys the RBS Intensive.

 

Was he one of the boys at the audition on Sunday? I loved watching the group of boys, they were great! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MAK said:

DD1 danced this in June in Oxford and loved it. All the parts were great fun. I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you more about parts for junior girls. Great ballet to watch!

Thank you! She’s really excited to start rehearsals 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

I've no experience of this particular production as it is relatively new, but my DD did EYB multiple times when she was younger. Each production was excellent so I am sure your DD will have a fabulous time. It is hard work, but very enjoyable and there is always a lot to learn.

In my experience, there are no "bad" parts in EYB. Yes, some children do get featured a bit more, with small group dances or solos, but everyone gets a good amount of time on stage, and even in the biggest groups I noticed that the choreography is done in such a way that every dancer is seen. My DD didn't always get the parts she had hoped for but she thoroughly enjoyed what she was given and learned new things every time, so I would say it is best not to think too much about specific parts. In my experience, those who go in with a positive attitude and embrace the opportunities that their part gives them have a great time and learn a lot. I think my DD got at least as much out of the daily ballet class as she did from learning and performing her part for the production in fact - she loved the whole experience. If she wasn't too old now I am sure she would be back like a shot. I have to confess to feeling a bit envious of those must starting out.

Enjoy!

 

Thanks! Yes, she’s not at all bothered about which ‘part’ she is given, in fact, she hasn’t even mentioned it! She’s delighted to be part of the whole experience. This was her first time auditioning as she’s just 8, and she’s been keen to audition for years so she’s feeling v lucky 😊

 

Thank you so much for the info and enthusiasm, she’ll be excited to read this! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD did Cinderella in Hollywood in Oxford last year too. She was 9 but is tiny, so was in the group of the smallest girls with mostly 8 year olds, which in Oxford was a group of 8 girls.  I'm guessing your DD could well be in that group unless she's very tall.  They get to be "Shirley Temples", in the first act, and had a dance to "Tea for Two" in the second act, and had a couple of small extra bits towards the end during the clock chiming 12 etc. IIRC.  I thought it was a great production, and I really enjoyed the music, which is mostly Shostakovich.

 

DD had a fantastic time - so much so that she's doing EYB again this year in Aylesbury (and was actually not particularly disappointed about not getting into LCB this week, because she knew that she couldn't do both and is so looking forward to EYB).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Oh no! That is a shame! But not a bad reason for a clash 😬. We have a lot going on over the rehearsal period too, but luckily we think we can just about juggle it... 

 

I hope your son really enjoys the RBS Intensive.

 

Was he one of the boys at the audition on Sunday? I loved watching the group of boys, they were great! 


Good luck with the juggling! We always seem to somehow make it work don’t we and it’s so worth it for their little faces! Ha. 
 

Yes, my DS was the one with the ponytail! Ha! Always easy to identify him by his hair! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter was at the audition last Sunday & she was also successful in the junior auditions. We live a good 75 minutes away from Darlington, so are still weighing up the pro's & con's of taking part. It's a long way for a 10 year old to travel on top of an intense schedule. They are long sessions & I have to admit I wasn't expecting them to be so late into the evening. I would be interested to hear how other children have coped with this schedule. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bubbles said:

My daughter was at the audition last Sunday & she was also successful in the junior auditions. We live a good 75 minutes away from Darlington, so are still weighing up the pro's & con's of taking part. It's a long way for a 10 year old to travel on top of an intense schedule. They are long sessions & I have to admit I wasn't expecting them to be so late into the evening. I would be interested to hear how other children have coped with this schedule. 

Well done to your daughter! 
 

The sessions are long time-wise, but from what I understand there is quite a lot of sitting and watching others dance during rehersals? So they aren’t at it non-stop...but saying that sometimes it’s just as tiring for them to sit around waiting for their turn, isn’t it!

 

I would say if your DD is really keen, give it a go! My DS is dancing with the Birmingham Royal Ballet in The Nutcracker at The RAH this year. Birmingham is 3 hours away from us and when I saw all the rehersal times, at first I thought ‘Oh no, what have we done!’ 🤭😂 And wondered whether he would be able to cope, on top of all his normal classes etc. But he has absolutely loved it all, even when he knows we have to travel six hours with a few hours practice sandwiched in between, he doesn’t feel tired because he really wants to do it. Some evenings his rehersals finish at 8.30pm so we don’t get back until 1am and he is still raring to go for school (and dance!) the next day. Your DD will probably surprise you, but only you really know how intense everything else she has going on is and how well she usually copes with having a lot on. Good luck if you decide to go for it, I am sure she will be wonderful! x

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bunny said:

Well done to your daughter! 
 

The sessions are long time-wise, but from what I understand there is quite a lot of sitting and watching others dance during rehersals? So they aren’t at it non-stop...but saying that sometimes it’s just as tiring for them to sit around waiting for their turn, isn’t it!

 

I would say if your DD is really keen, give it a go! My DS is dancing with the Birmingham Royal Ballet in The Nutcracker at The RAH this year. Birmingham is 3 hours away from us and when I saw all the rehersal times, at first I thought ‘Oh no, what have we done!’ 🤭😂 And wondered whether he would be able to cope, on top of all his normal classes etc. But he has absolutely loved it all, even when he knows we have to travel six hours with a few hours practice sandwiched in between, he doesn’t feel tired because he really wants to do it. Some evenings his rehersals finish at 8.30pm so we don’t get back until 1am and he is still raring to go for school (and dance!) the next day. Your DD will probably surprise you, but only you really know how intense everything else she has going on is and how well she usually copes with having a lot on. Good luck if you decide to go for it, I am sure she will be wonderful! x

Wow! What an opportunity for your DS. That's amazing. He must make you so proud. 

 

Thanks for your reply. It is the sitting around waiting that I think will make her tired. She's also quite shy, which may make the sitting around seem even longer, especially if I'm not there with her, which I'm guessing I won't be able to stay. She loves to dance though.

 

I'm just an over-protective mum doing this for the first time, I think. I need to let her decide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to you did.

My son has done 3 EYB performances and although a massive commitment he has thoroughly enjoyed every moment. He learnt so much and made lots of lasting friends (he too was shy). The performances are fabulous and so professional and  as a result he has now turned to full time vocational training at 16. I would recommend the experience to any dancer, just be prepared to put the hours in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. It's great to hear how much everyone's children have benefited, and enjoyed the experience. DD is excited to get started... 

 

Bubbles - I would say often the excitement and camaraderie takes over and makes the travel, tiredness, waiting around etc worthwhile, or counteracts i... but I know it's different for each child. We do a lot of travelling for ballet so we're used to it now, but it can be overwhelming before you start, so I understand :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Those of you whose children have done EYB before... what ballet shoes do they wear? And what else might they need to provide? 
 

This might seem a bit random, my DD is excited to get started, and as she has a birthday coming up soon I wondered whether, if they need specific items, she could maybe get them as part of her birthday presents. 
 

Thanks in advance all! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Those of you whose children have done EYB before... what ballet shoes do they wear? And what else might they need to provide? 
 

This might seem a bit random, my DD is excited to get started, and as she has a birthday coming up soon I wondered whether, if they need specific items, she could maybe get them as part of her birthday presents. 
 

Thanks in advance all! 

Ballet shoe wise, whatever she normally wears will be fine for rehearsals, although she will need a new (or at least clean) pair with pointe shoe ribbon instead of normal ribbon. I seem to remember that you buy the ribbon from them, as they like everyone to have the same.
 

A few non-uniform leotards are nice, along with the usual wrap skirts or shorts. My DD found warm-up booties and overalls really useful, as the days are long and do involve a bit of waiting. A decent sized lunchbox and water bottle are a must too!

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

Ballet shoe wise, whatever she normally wears will be fine for rehearsals, although she will need a new (or at least clean) pair with pointe shoe ribbon instead of normal ribbon. I seem to remember that you buy the ribbon from them, as they like everyone to have the same.
 

A few non-uniform leotards are nice, along with the usual wrap skirts or shorts. My DD found warm-up booties and overalls really useful, as the days are long and do involve a bit of waiting. A decent sized lunchbox and water bottle are a must too!

Thank you! That’s helpful! 
 

We thought of some of those things for Christmas but that’s good to know we’re on the right lines! She hasn’t had a chance to wear her new leotards and skirts yet so she’ll be looking forward to that 😊
 

Thanks again! 

Edited by TinyNEDancer
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TinyNEDancer said:

Thank you! That’s helpful! 
 

We thought of some of those things for Christmas but that’s good to know we’re on the right lines! She hasn’t had a chance to wear her new leotards and skirts yet so she’ll be looking forward to that 😊
 

Thanks again! 

Aargh! We don’t have any ribbon on shoes currently...! That will be new 😀. And tricky?! She has various pairs for her RAD class and her associate programmes, but none of them ask for ribbons. Is this something I have to... sew... accurately?? <faints with panic> 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Aargh! We don’t have any ribbon on shoes currently...! That will be new 😀. And tricky?! She has various pairs for her RAD class and her associate programmes, but none of them ask for ribbons. Is this something I have to... sew... accurately?? <faints with panic> 😂

Elastic on shoes is fine for rehearsals, and they will show you how to sew in ribbons for the performance shoes. It’s not difficult... 12 year old DD does her own now!

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

@Bubbles what did you decide? Did your DD accept her place? I might see you there if so!

Hi, my DD decided to turn down her place on this occasion. She has her SAT's 2wks after the show, so decided this year wasn't the right time for her, so we declined the offer, due to the long rehearsals days & travelling times. She instantly regretted her decision, but there will always be another opportunity. 

I wish your DD good luck with the show & the whole experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2020 at 07:24, Bubbles said:

Hi, my DD decided to turn down her place on this occasion. She has her SAT's 2wks after the show, so decided this year wasn't the right time for her, so we declined the offer, due to the long rehearsals days & travelling times. She instantly regretted her decision, but there will always be another opportunity. 

I wish your DD good luck with the show & the whole experience. 

There will be other opportunities. It sounds like the right decision for you. Thanks, DD is very excited to start 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

My DD has never done EYB before but she has just got a place in Cinderella in Hollywood in Cardiff this August and I was wondering what to expect/what sort of part she might get and came across this thread which was interesting to read. My DD will be nearly 10 at time of show but she is on the smaller side.

@TinyNEDancer did your show get postponed in the end or have you done it?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to your DD. 

 

DD did EYB in 2019. She was 8 at the time of rehearsals and 9 by the time of the performance. I don’t know about Cinderella in Hollywood as DD did Swan Lake but it was absolutely brilliant experience. All the parts are brilliant and in Swan Lake each child was in 2/3 acts so very evenly split. 
 

The rehearsals are long but DD loved every minute of it, I spent a lot of time in the waiting room reading, but that’s not new in the world of dance parents 😁 The production itself was fantastic. 
 

I hope your DD has a great time. 
 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@SJBallet thank you. 😊 It sounds like an amazing experience, she is so excited.

Yes I am used to spending hours hanging around waiting for her! Actually after being stuck in the house for weeks on end the thought of killing time in Cardiff centre all day sounds wonderful!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spamcatmy DD did EYB Cinderella in Hollywood in 2018, she was 11 at audition and casting and was a Star, I think a lot of them around this age were too. The younger ones were Shirley Temples I think from memory.

It’s a wonderful ballet, all the parts given are lovely and all groups were in Act 1 and Act 2. EYB just have a lovely way making sure all dancers are seen, and rotated on stage so they all get a moment at the front.

 

Rehearsals are full on, and long days, but my DD loved it, met so many friends and learnt a lot, the staff, teachers and principals are lovely, she will have a great time. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

My DD has never done EYB before but she has just got a place in Cinderella in Hollywood in Cardiff this August and I was wondering what to expect/what sort of part she might get and came across this thread which was interesting to read. My DD will be nearly 10 at time of show but she is on the smaller side.

@TinyNEDancer did your show get postponed in the end or have you done it?

Hi and welcome to the world of EYB if your daughter loves Ballet and loves the stage then this is for her,  

my DD has graced there shows 7 times and was left with One production not done and Miss Lewis made her day by letting her take part in this production even though she was more 19 by then and my son has done two productions and loves it too.  
I can’t remember much as it was a few years ago now but I remember that age group being in tutus with star head bands but depending one the cast the production is tailored to the cast so though someone might say ‘she will be....!’ It dosnt always go that way

Be prepared for a very excited little dancer who will be showing you all her new steps 🤣. It’s long days as well especially if rehearsals are in school term.    

plenty of food and snacks she be fine.

 

Wish her a fab time and would love to hear about her enjoyment 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...