Royal Ballet treasures

In his recent review of The Dream/Song of the Earth Clement Crisp remarked that

"Both works show the Royal Ballet’s real qualities far better than any of the care-worn ‘classics’.....The Royal Ballet boasts a grand treasury of short ballets, covering a century of creativity. Not, alas, that we see these with any regularity."

I thought this was a really interesting point and wondered whether others agree with him and if anyone knows what lies languishing in the treasury that they would like to see resurrected or performed more frequently than some of the old war horses like Swan Lake.

And here I was thinking you were starting a thread about Gary Avis et al :). I'd actually like to see just about anything in the RB's rep performed more frequently than Swan Lake, which must make me highly undiscriminating, but I'll come up with some more specific suggestions later.

Ashton's Two Pigeons (according to the ROH collections database , it's not been done since 1985), Façade (not done since 1994) Monotones (not done at the ROH since 2001) + more performances of those works which have been done more recently - Symphonic Variations and Les Rendezvous

edited to add more works

Edited by Bluebird

Oh really Bluebird. I stand corrected, thank you. I must have missed that. I would still like to see it in the repertoire again

So sorry. I didn't mean to sound abrupt. I'm doing a lot of things at once and didn't take enough time over the wording of the posting. Sorry!

Agree with Bluebird about Monotones - scandalously neglected. And Illuminations, and A Wedding Bouquet

It's also far too long since we saw The Concert, and I'm really surprised the RB gave up on In the Night so quickly.

Also I'd like to see Four Temeraments back on stage, and Ballet Imperial.

I don't remember seeing MacMillan's The Invitation for a long time.

Others:

In the middle somewhat elevated

Perhaps another go at Lilac Garden? (One of the things I'm really looking forward to is seeing O'Hare's ideas on casting, which I hope may give us fresh insights into some familiar works.)

I'd like to see some of the earlier MacMillan pieces but only if they could be taken back to their original versions: Le Baiser de la Fee, Symphony...

Helpmann's Hamlet, perhaps? (thinking of some potential Hamlets among the principals)

Also, although I know the point of this discussion is to get away from Swan Lake, I wouldn't at all mind seeing the company doing Act 2 on its own occasionally; also the Shades scene from Bayadere in the Nureyev version.

Almost all of these have the advantage of having lots of good roles so we'd get to see more of the dancers getting chances.

(Incidentally I discovered whilst typing this that if someone else adds a post to the thread you're working on, this new system tells you and lets you see it, removing the problem of simultaneous postings - neat!)

So sorry. I didn't mean to sound abrupt. I'm doing a lot of things at once and didn't take enough time over the wording of the posting. Sorry!

Sorry got in a mess trying to do a quote!

I should apologise in turn. I did not intend to sound offended. I wasn't on the least upset. I should have done my research before I posted! Thank you for including the link to the ROH Collections. It was very interesting to see who danced last time.

Edited by patsomerset

A big yes to The Invitation,Symphony (with the Sonnabend designs) and Baiser de la Fee (with the Kenneth Rowell designs).,

I wonder too whether House of Birds would bear revival.I so loved the Mompou music.Also why did they go to all the trouble and expense of renewing and reviving Danses Concertante 10 years ago and then allowing it to disappear?

I certainly would love Two Pigeons back at the Opera House (in a bill with Monotones maybe) but I fear it's a lost cause.Though I do know that Jeanetta Lawrence favours it. Rendezvous I love,but,oh dear those hideous costumes and decor!

I would like to see Lieberslieder Walzer back but fear it's another forlorn hope.And Bugaku,a great piece for Eric Underwood and Melissa or Akane.

Would Jazz Calendar revive today;and Ashton's Sinfonietta.Slight pieces but worth a look I would have thought.

Certainly Shadowplay needs reviving, and even Tudor's Knight Errant created for David Wall.

The mind will continue to whirl!

Agree that Monotones has been sadly neglected by the RB - it's well overdue for an outing. I would also love to see Nijinska's fun 'Les Biches' again And are we going to see MacMillan's 'Prince of the Pagodas' revived at last? It was promised a few seasons ago but plans were abandoned. Wouldn't mind seeing Balanchine's 'Prodigal Son' again soon (although admittedly the gap since we last saw it hasn't been that long).

I will think of more...

(Trying again:)

My first MultiQuote! Sorry, quoted people's names don't seem to have come out.

[snip]- scandalously neglected. And Illuminations, and A Wedding Bouquet

I’ll admit that I didn’t get on well with Illuminations back in 1993, or whenever it was, but perhaps my tastes have matured since then.

It’s also far too long since we saw The Concert, and I’m really surprised the RB gave up on In the Night so quickly.

I totally agree - and have been saying so for years - and I didn’t know they’d even done it, respectively. And I want Dances at a Gathering back pronto!

Also I’d like to see Four Temeraments back on stage

(see first part of previous comment). And if we’re going for Balanchine, Prodigal Son please, too. It’s been too long …

I don’t remember seeing MacMillan’s The Invitation for a long time.

1994, if memory serves. That’s been another one I’ve been saying I wanted to see again virtually every time we’ve had a “next season wishlist” thread.

I’d like to see some of the earlier MacMillan pieces but only if they could be taken back to their original versions: Le Baiser de la Fee, Symphony...

Everyone seems to think very highly of Symphony, don’t they?

In the middle somewhat elevated

Come to that, Hermann Schmermann.

Helpmann’s Hamlet, perhaps?

Perhaps, or is it a bit too silent-movie-ish for today’s tastes? (I’ve never seen it, only the pictures)

Also, although I know the point of this discussion is to get away from Swan Lake, I wouldn’t at all mind seeing the company doing Act 2 on its own occasionally; also the Shades scene from Bayadere in the Nureyev version.

That’s an idea. It’d get rid of the drunken cadets and tutors, plus the unprincely behaviour …

Actually, I (again) wanted to add Anastasia Act III (as originally done) to that list, but suspect the timing may no longer be quite as right as it was.

Also why did they go to all the trouble and expense of renewing and reviving Danses Concertante 10 years ago and then allowing it to disappear?

Beats me :(

Certainly Shadowplay needs reviving

The report’s not up online yet, so I can’t check, but I think Ed Watson said at the Ballet Association last year that he’d like to have another go at that one.

Edit because I left out Fearful Symmetries - would have thought it still ought to suit the company. Oh, and Symphonic Variations - with the right cast - is always welcome. I think management should just automatically ask for tickets in camera positions to be left unsold until the last minute, then if by some miracle they do get a cast which really clicks they can just record it there and then! They missed their chance in the mid-2000s.

Edited by alison

Agree that Monotones has been sadly neglected by the RB - it's well overdue for an outing. I would also love to see Nijinska's fun 'Les Biches' again And are we going to see MacMillan's 'Prince of the Pagodas' revived at last? It was promised a few seasons ago but plans were abandoned. Wouldn't mind seeing Balanchine's 'Prodigal Son' again soon (although admittedly the gap since we last saw it hasn't been that long).

I will think of more...

You haven't got long to wait for Prince of the Pagodas, Ann. It's one of the Period 4 productions. First night 2nd June.

Thanks. Bluebird - good news indeed. I actually didn't much like 'Pagodas' the first time around, but that was quite early in my ballet-going career and I'm anxious to have another look now that I know what to look for! (I do recollect that MacMillan had provided some meaty choreography for each of the main characters).

For a combination of domestic reasons, I'd vote for a Triple Bill comprising: "Solitaire," "House of Birds' and "Les Rendezvous" - ideally with the first and last in their original costumes.

And, as others have suggested, a return of "The Concert" would be most welcome - it was one of the earlier ballets I saw, circa 2000/2001, with Sylvie Guillem. I'm sure Miss Yanowsky would bring as much zaniness to the part and would prove every bit as much an object of desire to the Groucho Marx chap (Ed Watson?)

I would agree with most of the suggestions above. However what strikes me is how many of them don't need to be at ROH and may look even better on a smaller stage. Really wishful thinking now, but why can't RB have small touring groups like BRB? They could show some amazing triple bills and give some dancers opportunities to try more roles. With well known repertoire I am sure they would have full houses. Last time they tried touring with a small group it was unsuccessful because they did it with new untested choreography - the results were pretty awful and so the audience stayed away in droves!

I would agree with most of the suggestions above. However what strikes me is how many of them don't need to be at ROH and may look even better on a smaller stage.

Ah, thanks. Las Hermanas.

I've said before, I'd love them to be able to take over Sadler's Wells for a week and do some of the smaller ballets that don't look right on the Covent Garden stage. But when they've got their own theatre, why would they pay to rent another one? And the schedule is so packed that I can't see how they'd fit that in - or touring to smaller venues, either.

I spoke recently (within the last couple of years anyway) to Dame Monica about Helpmann's Hamlet. She said that she had seriously considered doing it but that it would require a full set rebuild and new costumes and was, therefore, uneconomical. The gist of the conversation was that it would cost more than a whole new triple bill to recreate and she would prefer to spend the money on new work. Shame, but them's the breaks.

I'd like to see many of the pieces listed by others in this thread (particularly Las Hermanas and The Invitation) but I feel some may suffer from the same economic problem as Hamlet.

Even without the economics, I think Hamlet has had its day. A friend who saw it (and saw through it) in the 1940s described it as a succession of melodramatic entrances and exits, not a ballet.

As a guide to the flamboyance required, a dancer in the RB's last revival in 1981 told me that Helpman's only note to Anthony Dowell was "more lilac eyeshadow!"

Not especially in any hurry to see "Gong" again (though it was pleasant enough on it's one season's showing) but I really would love to see more of Mark Morris' work on the ROH stage. If not a new creation,at least,being so prolific, there are any number of extant ballets which I would relish seeing the company tackle. I know BRB danced Drink to me Only and that would be a good starting place.Such a delightful work.

I also have a yen (after watching Erico Montes take on #3) to revisit Cranko's "Brandenberg 2 & 4"

I am with mjosh that there is much that could be seen that would, surprisingly, be new to the RB .... There is just so MANY Robbins pieces ... from In G Major to all of his final glorious ballets for NYC Ballet. I feel they would be cherished ... What of 'I'm Old Fashioned' ... Somehow I think London would love that ...