Tring CBA audition 1st Dec 2019 - any advice?

TKT

Hi! Just a post to see if anyone else is attending on Sunday for Tring CBA or whether anyone has any advise for the audition please? (I’ve read on here clean ballet shoes & convertible tights are a must)! 
My daughters 10 (new to ballet (1 year) & has been lucky enough to recently be accepted onto TLBC associate programme which she absolutely loves but she has this dream of eventually going to vocational school, so we’re auditioning for Tring & MA (in addition to her current associate) as these have a school attached. I’ve said let’s go for the experience & fun, she’s very excited! 
Any advise greatly received x  

Hi TKT,

There are lots of threads about CBA auditions; I don’t know if you’ve managed to read any of them yet but if not, if you click on the “CBA” tag/button underneath your thread title, all threads tagged with CBA will appear:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/tags/CBA/

Have a read and if you have any unanswered questions, let us know. ☺️

• Like 1

Hi! I’m also auditioning tomorrow (though I’m 15!), I have a few friends on the programme and they’ve all said that the best thing to do is to demonstrate to the panel how much you love to dance because that ‘spark’ shows how special you are as a dancer. Don’t be put off trying again if you need to (I’m sure you won’t!), one of my friends auditioned 3 times when she was younger and has now been on the programme for a good few years (she’s bloomed into the most gorgeous dancer!). I wish your dd all the best tomorrow and for any future auditions. Never, ever give up! 💕 xx

• Like 1

Bless your heart BalletBear! Thank you so much for your kindness & encouragement... That’s brilliant advise ‘Show off your Spark’ because you can’t teach that! I’ll make sure my DD sprinkles her sparkles... We both wish you lots of luck for tomorrows audition too. My DD will be in group 3 at 12 O’clock. Again wishing you lots of luck xxx

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TKT said:

Bless your heart BalletBear! Thank you so much for your kindness & encouragement... That’s brilliant advise ‘Show off your Spark’ because you can’t teach that! I’ll make sure my DD sprinkles her sparkles... We both wish you lots of luck for tomorrows audition too. My DD will be in group 3 at 12 O’clock. Again wishing you lots of luck xxx

You’re more than welcome! You most definitely can’t, and it’s the passion in a dancer that makes them go far, because you will always be motivated! Thank you! I’m in group 5 tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it! It’s my first time auditioning for anything at Tring so we’ll see how it goes! Good luck to your dd again x

• Like 1

Hi NotaClue, it was my DD’s first audition for Tring & absolutely loved the experience too. I’m so pleased as even if it is a no (this time 😊) the confidence & experience she gained from it is invaluable for the future. My DD was in group 3 & she was told by them 2 weeks for the results x

Hi, My DD also auditioned yesterday and really enjoyed it.  Its a great introduction to auditioning and hopefully will give her more confidence going forward.  She is not expecting to get in, but wanted to go along and see what it was like.  I fear she may have caught the Tring bug now! 😱

• Like 1

I’m so glad everyone enjoyed the auditions yesterday!  If it’s a “no” this time round, it’s always worth trying again in future.  My daughter has nothing but happy memories of her time at CBA, especially her classes with Miss Samaai.  

Wishing everyone luck for results time. ☺️

• Like 2

Hi! I also auditioned yesterday and I loved every minute of it. I can’t remember the name of the teacher who took the class (which annoys me!), but she was wonderful! I thought it was such a lovely environment, while being challenging at the same time. I also got to meet up with a friend from summer school which was great! Good luck to everyone waiting on results, I’ll be rooting for you x

• Like 1

Overmyhead - I think we have the Tring bug too! My DD thinks the audition went very well (largely because she smiled her way through & enjoyed herself), I just gently reassured her that if it’s not the right time now, there will be more opportunities to audition again... 

Thanks Anna C, I’ve read previous posts on your fondness of Tring, it’s very reassuring to such an unfamiliar world to me us. 

BalletBear! I’m so pleased you loved your audition too. My DD said some areas she was unsure on & she did say 1 or 2 were more advanced / confident but she smiled her way through - I can’t ask anymore, bless her. All the very best of luck to you. Do you know how many places are available? On previous threads it’s something like an estimate of 100 dancers for 10 places? Xx

Edited by TKT
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TKT said:

Overmyhead - I think we have the Tring bug too! My DD thinks the audition went very well (largely because she smiled her way through & enjoyed herself), I just gently reassured her that if it’s not the right time now, there will be more opportunities to audition again... 

Thanks Anna C, I’ve read previous posts on your fondness of Tring, it’s very reassuring to such an unfamiliar world to me us. 

BalletBear! I’m so pleased you loved your audition too. My DD said some areas she was unsure on & she did say 1 or 2 were more advanced / confident but she smiled her way through - I can’t ask anymore, bless her. All the very best of luck to you. Do you know how many places are available? On previous threads it’s something like an estimate of 100 dancers for 10 places? Xx

Thank you! Yes, there was a step in my group’s petit allegro that I wasn’t too sure about, but I gave it my best shot! I’m not sure how many places are available though I’m assuming that there won’t be as many as there would for the May audition because it’s a mid year entry point. Best of luck x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overmyhead# said:

Yeah, I heard very few places are up for grabs in the November auditions. Would be interesting to know though, and still great experience either way. 

... Absolutely, a great experience for them all. My DD said they were so friendly & encouraging regardless of ability x

Results are out & unfortunately it was a no for my DD. Can I have some help interpreting my no letter please as I’ve read this in previous threads? It says “Unfortunately DD was not able to gain a place on our programme this time, they have a large number of applicants & very few places to offer” it then goes onto read “Please do look at our Tring School website as we have many excellent Associated Programmes on offer”... Is this a standard forever no? 

• Like 1

My daughter didn’t get a place when she auditioned for CBA in 2017. As far as I can remember her letter said something along the lines of ‘ blah blah unfortunately not offering xx a place at this time. But her dancing was of a good standard, so we recommend working on xxx and xxxx and coming back and trying again.’ 

Tring send three types of letter, yes, no and come back. I know of people who have had the ‘come back’ letter several times and also those that have have turned a no into a yes on a second attempt - so nothing is ever a ‘forever no’ xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKT said:

Results are out & unfortunately it was a no for my DD. Can I have some help interpreting my no letter please as I’ve read this in previous threads? It says “Unfortunately DD was not able to gain a place on our programme this time, they have a large number of applicants & very few places to offer” it then goes onto read “Please do look at our Tring School website as we have many excellent Associated Programmes on offer”... Is this a standard forever no? 

Oh no, thats a shame.  I wouldn't say that any letter will be a forever no, its always worth trying again if your DD enjoyed it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TKT said:

Awwww sorry to hear that - all fabulous experience though, and I would def say try again, nothing is a forever no xxx

• Like 1

Confusingly the names used by Tring for their programmes differ from other institutions. 

Tring Park CBA is their equivalent of RBS Junior/Mid/Senior/Advsnced Associate programme ie. a part time course with students selected at auditions.

Tring Park Associates is in effect their part time school in association with Tring Park  (same location, possibly some crossover with main school &/or CBA staff) 

These I anticipate are to be seen more as regular dance school weekly lessons on a termly basis as opposed to the CBA which is more an additional elite add on to your local dance school training - a great option if you are local enough to travel there regularly. 

In addition open to all there are regular courses such as Days of Dance in various genres across the year plus longer courses in school holidays so lots of options to explore!

And remember a not yet may become s yes after more time/experience etc so good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typos!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Overmyhead# said:

Its a very polite no for us too 😁, we will definitely do it again though.

Aw I’m sorry Overmyhead# too... Did your letter say about contacting Tring Park School regarding their many other excellent Associate Programmes? 

5 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Confusingly the names used by Tring for their programmes differ from other institutions. 

Tring Park CBA is their equivalent of RBS Junior/Mid/Senior/Advsnced Associate programme ie. a part time course with students selected at auditions.

Tring Park Associates is in effect their part time school in association with Tring Park  (same location, possibly some crossover with main school &/or CBA staff) 

These I anticipate are to be seen more as regular dance school weekly lessons on a termly basis as opposed to the CBA which is more an additional elite add on to your local dance school training - a great option if you are local enough to travel there regularly. 

In addition open to all there are regular courses such as Days of Dance in various genres across the year plus longer courses in school holidays so lots of options to explore!

And remember a not yet may become s yes after more time/experience etc so good luck! 

Thank you Peanut68 we’re very new to this so any advice & clarifications greatly received. Unfortunately we’re not local to Tring to consider their other Associated Programmes (as their letter recommenced). Reading between the lines of the letter, I wonder if they feel my DD needs more training as she’s new to the world of dance (although doing very well). I may email for a very brief feedback but I know it’s not always possible for them to reply 😊 x

6 hours ago, margarite said:

My daughter didn’t get a place when she auditioned for CBA in 2017. As far as I can remember her letter said something along the lines of ‘ blah blah unfortunately not offering xx a place at this time. But her dancing was of a good standard, so we recommend working on xxx and xxxx and coming back and trying again.’ 

Tring send three types of letter, yes, no and come back. I know of people who have had the ‘come back’ letter several times and also those that have have turned a no into a yes on a second attempt - so nothing is ever a ‘forever no’ xx

Thank you Margarite, did your DD apply again or did she move on elsewhere? I’m not too disheartened as she is with TLBC. 
My no letter from Tring was apply for Tring Park Schools other Associates Programmes which I’m assuming means she needs more training? Xx