Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

4 hours ago, MJW said:

Great pics Don Q. Thank you for those - brightens a leaden grey day!

Very interesting what you say about Melissa Hamilton. I had noted that she was wasn't performing despite being on the cast list and then, as you say, she pops up on IG with Roberto Bolle (!)

I saw Melissa Hamilton perform Prayer in a rehearsal - no further comment on that. What I will say is that if I were her, the opportunities she gets to dance with Roberto Bolle, including the role of Juliet,  would certainly tempt me away. 

I once asked a question at an RB event as to how important it was for the dancers to be allowed to "guest" with other companies / at other events. The 100% response from the dancers was that it was hugely important in their staying with the RB, that they are allowed such flexibility. I applaud KoH for this policy: there's so much competition for roles now - really good to let the dancers have their freedom and enhance their skills, and earn some more money. It's a short career.

• Like 6

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fiona said:

Did Francesca Hayward not dance on Saturday evening?  No-one has mentioned her!

Yes she did and she was wonderful! Her dancing is so fluid and spontaneous looking and her characterisation was great. I do think it's a shame that Franz barely gets to dance until Act 3 though. Having said that I loved this ballet and hope it's revived more regularly.

• Like 7

On 05/01/2020 at 17:58, annamk said:

. Magri was an excellent match for him. Her Swanilda was also a favourite - she is entirely secure technically with lovely comic timing and great character projection. In truth the Swanilda casting was an abundance of luxury: of the casts I saw I would have been very happy to see any of Nunez, O'Sullivan, Magri, Takada multiple times. They all carried off the tricky choreography with absolute aplomb and oodles of character.I don't know why, perhaps I was having an off day, perhaps it was her partner, but the only disappointment for me was Morera. 

How strange.  I thought Morera was wonderful, and I really enjoyed watching her partnership with Campbell. 

Although I really admire Nunez, I thought her Swanilda was just a little too grown up to be breaking in to someone else's house and playing tricks on an old man Muntagirov's dancing is sublime, and I adore watching him move, but I am not always entirely convinced by his characterisation.  I felt he seemed far too nice to go off and flirt with another woman in front of his official girlfriend! 

I do hope I won't be banned from this forum for saying something negative about Muntagirov.....😉

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Although I really admire Nunez, I thought her Swanilda was just a little too grown up to be breaking in to someone else's house and playing tricks on an old man Muntagirov's dancing is sublime, and I adore watching him move, but I am not always entirely convinced by his characterisation.  I felt he seemed far too nice to go off and flirt with another woman in front of his official girlfriend! 

I do hope I won't be banned from this forum for saying something negative about Muntagirov.....😉

Ha ha, I know what you mean - he is such a sweetheart through and through.  I was pleasantly surprised by how he acted the part of naughty Franz but he is much more suited to the role of a fairytale prince!

• Like 7

On 05/01/2020 at 18:57, LinMM said:

Those pics are terrific Don Q ....where do you stand to take them? And lovely  to see you yesterday but as usual not enough time for a proper chat. 

Lovely to catch you too albeit briefly!

Thank you re the pics, just from my balcony seat. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Morera offered up a veritable cornucopia of delicious detail.  Ah, for those roaring eyes flashing to the ceiling and that epaulement being oh so generous in its mollification.  The chapter and verse of this Coppelia's nitty gritty were ripe (and rifled) with tantalising allure.  O'Sullivan sparkled too from the very first crack of her Aurora.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

don't tell me about it! I had to return my ticket because I have the mother and father of all coughs because of a chest infection and couldn't inflict this on the audience. So I've missed out on Coppelia.

I'm so sorry, ninamargaret! I hope you feel better soon (and that Coppélia comes back soon!).

37 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Morera offered up a veritable cornucopia of delicious detail.  Ah, for those roaring eyes flashing to the ceiling and that epaulement being oh so generous in its mollification.  The chapter and verse of this Coppelia's nitty gritty were ripe (and rifled) with tantalising allure. 

She was glorious indeed!!

And Alex Campbell rose to the occasion tonight too I thought - wizzed through his solos with some effortless and elegant partnering.

• Like 2

Tonight was a perfect example of why Laura Morera has long been one of my favourite dancers.  A lovely, nuanced performance with so many little touches that made such a difference. Huge kudos too for Alex Campbell who has partnered two very different dancers with equal care and affection, and fit perfectly with both of them.  Bennett Gartside’s interpretation of Coppelius has deepened since the beginning of the run and I really enjoyed him tonight.  Gina Storm-Jensen delivered a stylish and solid Prayer, and Anna-Rose O’Sullivan was a delightful Aurora.  

The run ended on a high, and I was very glad to see that Laura got a lot of flowers. She looked genuinely surprised and thrilled.  

I hope this doll of a ballet is here to stay.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

don't tell me about it! I had to return my ticket because I have the mother and father of all coughs because of a chest infection and couldn't inflict this on the audience. So I've missed out on Coppelia.

Get well very soon Ninamargaret.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Not TOO soon , I hope - I've still got a bit of the music stuck in my head (the bit when all the dolls start dancing) and it's showing no sign of going away after several weeks... :huh:

It’s the mazurka with me, which I can’t complain about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It’s the mazurka with me, which I can’t complain about.

That's still popping back from time to time, too - but as it's the bit I've known since childhood, having been a classic of my school orchestra's repertoire, that's less annoying.

22 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Snap - very disappointed to have to miss my only chance to see this. However, lovely photos and I am pleased to hear that Morera received such appreciation. Let’s hope that the success of Coppelia will mean that we see it again soon.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Coppelia last night, although I don’t think it’s a ballet I would rush to see again. The score is absolutely glorious (and etched into my consciousness since childhood) and it’s interesting to see the influence that I am sure the Act 1 Pas de deux with ensemble had on Ashton for the Cornfield ensemble in La Fille mal gardée, but I find the scenario a bit thin and remain uneasy (as I was seeing the broadcast) at the dramaturgy in Act 2.

I liked Bennet Gartside’s Dr Coppelius, more serious, more sinister, and, perhaps surprisingly, more touching than Gary Avis’ performance (I appreciate that is probably heresy), even if the character completely fades from view in Act 3.

I also thought Alexander Campbell ideally suited. There’s not a lot of meat on Franz’s dancing bones, but as character (cheeky yet charming), partner (delightfully attentive) and soloist (briefly but impressively virtuoso with double tours to left and right) I can’t see that he could be faulted.

Now for more heresy. I admire Laura Morera very much as a dance actress, and her Mary Vetsera is one of the most memorable performances I have enjoyed. However, I don’t find that her dance style haunts my imagination (think of, for example, Cuthbertson’s floating musicality in the Vision Scene of Beauty, Hayward’s epaulement, the impossibility of Naghdi making anything but a ravishing movement, or Nunez’s assured grandeur in full flow) and for all the neatness of detail and charm of her characterisation I thought last night brought home why she isn’t often seen in classical roles. That lack, for me, of sheer dance magic was brought home when Anna Rose O’Sullivan took to the stage as Aurora. May I emphasise that I mean no disrespect to a much loved dancer who I have admired very much in other repertoire and who I hope to have pleasure of seeing for some seasons more. 

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 5