Royal Ballet - Coppelia (Dec. 2019 - Jan. 2020)

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

Have I been spoilt by Muntagirov or was Sambe at less than his best this evening? (I'm not complaining - we can't always be on top form.)

I felt that Sambe was better tonight than on his debut. His solo is not as electric as Muntagirov's or Corrales'. Neither is Bracewell's but he brought his off in spades!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, capybara said:

I felt that Sambe was better tonight than on his debut. His solo is not as electric as Muntagirov's or Corrales'. Neither is Bracewell's but he brought his off in spades!

I totally agree with Capybara's sentiments vis a vis Sambe tonight ... The placement in his solo this time round was augustly clean and cream and his partnering more assured. ... As to a certain Ms. O'Sullivan she out-bettered her considerable all from the last time too and (IMHO) did her part to (once again) put a defining GREAT (replete with those knowing Lucille Ball eye bursts) back into Britain.  A glittering BRAVA!!  How lucky we are to have her stunning artistry in our midst and to be able to mine such vivacious detail through her acute musical timing.  VERY lucky indeed!!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 11

17 hours ago, Beryl H said:

She [Osipova] was perfect when she danced the role with the Bolshoi at the ROH.

Luckily we can all see at least one version, as a complete recording of her performance from the Bolshoi has been on YouTube for some time (it may be against the rules of the Forum to link to this here but it is easy to find).

Many other pleasures on the way, not least Lopatin and the tempi at which the Marzurka and the Czardas are taken (which may be a hint as to why the national dances are not quite hitting the spot in the current ROH run). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, capybara said:

Well, that’s a first. No doll present at the end of Act 2 tonight but good improvisation from both O’Sullivan and Mosley.

It actually happened on opening night as well.  I think that if the wardrobe doors don’t close properly they can’t move the dancer onto the chair as the audience would see it all happening.  Very nice improvising last night!

And a fabulous performance, especially from Anna-Rose.  What a star she is!   

• Like 4

20 hours ago, FLOSS said:

So while I have enjoyed every cast I have seen in this revival I do not regret Cuthbertson's absence but I do that of Stix-Brunell who I think would have been ideal in the role of Swanilda

💯 

Totally agree. Was so disappointed (and puzzled) when Ms Stix-Brunell was not cast in a role she seems perfect for 🤔

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Corrales and Magri what can I say have never enjoyed this ballet so much ❤️❤️ More when get home. 

Absolutely. Corrales in particular was super - he has the cheekiness and swagger that fits the role perfectly. I’m glad I decided to see Coppelia again. Excellent seat in the GT

• Like 6

On 03/01/2020 at 08:41, Richard LH said:

There was a lovely, and amusing, moment during the curtain call when she gave a red rose from one of her bouquets to William Bracewell, and Thomas Whitehead (Coppelius) and then tried to give one to  the conductor Tom Seligman but was initially unsuccessful - she did get him to take it in the end though!

I see some kind person has posted the Red Rose incident on YouTube - a lovely, enthusiastic  and amusing curtain call!  

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Does anyone know who this young dancer is?  I have noticed her in the Corps in the last two Coppelias.....(she is also just behind Akane in the still of the curtain call clip above).

Unkown.jpg

She's a graduate year RBS student.  I'm not sure if it's OK to post her name here so have sent you a PM.

• Like 3

Yes saw her yesterday in Coppelia and in RBS show and got her down to one of three dancers was impossible to work out exactly who! I think I may have seen her in class at YBSS a couple of years ago as well!

would you mind sending me her name as well? 
many thanks 

Linda 

I understand why they don't but still wish that the cast sheet gave the names of the dancers doing the Hours & harvesting dances in Act III. I was trying to recognise people in them last night & mostly failing. In fact I was so busy trying to recognise people that I can't remember much of the actual dances!

• Like 2

That's what happens if you over follow one dancer too much as well. You suddenly realise you've missed a whole section of dance from trying to see what such and such a dancer is doing on stage! 

It was a good job yesterday that Caesar Corrales was "asleep" through most of the second Act ....he's one of those dancers like Nureyev who you can't seem to take your eyes off him once he's on the stage. 

Although they are very different dancers Caesar has that sort of stage presence similar to Nureyev. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Although they are very different dancers Caesar has that sort of stage presence similar to Nureyev. 

You might be amused to learn that exactly this point was made to the (then) Chair of ENB, at the time Caesar Corrales was still in that company. No idea what was done by way of response.

• Like 1

Lovely performance yesterday at the matinee with the effervescent Mayara Magri and Cesar Corrales.  Some lovely photos above too thank you they're great!  I've posted a couple of my own below.  I really like Mayara Magri and she is growing into these lead roles beautifully and with such confidence.  I do hope she will be promoted in the near future although the competition is stiff with Anna Rose O'Sullivan as well!  Cesar is just great I have always liked him ever since I saw him as an amazing Ali in Corsaire with ENB.  I was interested that Melissa Hamilton was "replaced" she was in fact dancing in Italy in "Roberto Bolle And Friends " Tour....slightly surprised that if a dancer is cast in a parent company show they are allowed to then go off to do private work? Assume that is in their contract and I suppose it gives other dancers a crack at the whip.  Yuhui Choe was of course delightful as Aurora and it pains me that she seems to be such an underrated dancer, when every time I have seen her she has always been so lovely.  I fear she is destined to the bridesmaid and never the bride  (principal) at the Royal Ballet.  Thomas Whitehead was excellent as well as Coppelius.  All in all a very good afternoon!

ENiIyW1XUAMlhqV?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ensemble

ENiIyW-WsAEDgND?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Whitehead/Magri/Corales

ENiH1FzXYAAptY1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Whitehead and Choe

ENiH1FtWkAI0ZLz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mayara with her beautiful flowers!

• Like 19

No more Coppelia for me and I miss it already :( Baffled as to why it has been off stage for so long, huge plaudits and thanks to Kevin O'Hare for reviving it. 

IMO Franz is another role (after Romeo) that Corrales has really left his mark on.  Of the casts I saw Magri/Corrales was easily my favourite. Corrales acts convincingly, partners as well if not better than most of the more established and more experienced dancers and his solos were simply explosive (only Vadim is superior in his effortlessness). Corrales presence on stage energised the company in a way that most other Franz's simply did not. Magri was an excellent match for him. Her Swanilda was also a favourite - she is entirely secure technically with lovely comic timing and great character projection. In truth the Swanilda casting was an abundance of luxury: of the casts I saw I would have been very happy to see any of Nunez, O'Sullivan, Magri, Takada multiple times. They all carried off the tricky choreography with absolute aplomb and oodles of character.I don't know why, perhaps I was having an off day, perhaps it was her partner, but the only disappointment for me was Morera. 

I enjoyed the Dr Coppelius of Mosley and Whitehead very much. I regret not catching Kaneko as Aurora although the performances of Choe and Calvert had a lovely quality but I did not enjoy  Hinkis performance - I can't find any poetry in her dancing.  Most of the Prayer performances I saw were danced by Pajdak and she did have a few wobbles as someone pointed out earlier, nonetheless she has a quality that captures the spirit of prayer and her port de bras is a thing of beauty. 

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

Lovely performance yesterday at the matinee with the effervescent Mayara Magri and Cesar Corrales.  Some lovely photos above too thank you they're great!  I've posted a couple of my own below.  I really like Mayara Magri and she is growing into these lead roles beautifully and with such confidence.  I do hope she will be promoted in the near future although the competition is stiff with Anna Rose O'Sullivan as well!  Cesar is just great I have always liked him ever since I saw him as an amazing Ali in Corsaire with ENB.  I was interested that Melissa Hamilton was "replaced" she was in fact dancing in Italy in "Roberto Bolle And Friends " Tour....slightly surprised that if a dancer is cast in a parent company show they are allowed to then go off to do private work? Assume that is in their contract and I suppose it gives other dancers a crack at the whip.  Yuhui Choe was of course delightful as Aurora and it pains me that she seems to be such an underrated dancer, when every time I have seen her she has always been so lovely.  I fear she is destined to the bridesmaid and never the bride  (principal) at the Royal Ballet.  Thomas Whitehead was excellent as well as Coppelius.  All in all a very good afternoon!

Great pics Don Q. Thank you for those - brightens a leaden grey day!

Very interesting what you say about Melissa Hamilton. I had noted that she was wasn't performing despite being on the cast list and then, as you say, she pops up on IG with Roberto Bolle (!)

Given the rather limited repertory that Melissa Hamilton has been given this season, I imagine that she probably has reached some kind of agreement about guesting -she seems to be a fairly regular partner for Bolle. She also recently guested with BRB in The Dream pas de deux partnering Brendan Lewis. I hope we haven’t seen the last of her appearing in a major role at RB.

• Like 1

I had forgotten just HOW tricky that pas de deux in Act three is in Coppelia .....not easy at all but not a problem for Corrales and Magri.

I agree with your post absolutely annamk .....perhaps Vadim has the extra on the pure classical technique side and Caesar just edges it on stage presence though either way they are getting more or less equals!! 

Of course the Franz role suited Corrales absolutely perfectly ....he's not shy in coming forward but lovable with it ...you can't help but love him because his dancing is so enthused with joy and enthusiasm ....he gives his all even when not in a main solo or pas de deux and this is very infectious. He has that quality that when he dances in a solo you are with him all the way ....and this is what I think he has in common with Nureyev ...as you felt like that about him too ....though their style and persona are different of course both have /had stage presence in spades and take you with them on their journey.

Magri was terrific as well I loved her Swanilda and her mime and acting was SO clear ....brilliant. These two together are dynamite and hope to see them in other roles together. Swanilda is a deceptively complex role in terms of choreography with some really tricky solos and THAT third Act  pas de deux ...phew... I bet they were pleased they pulled that off!! 

But this ballet on Saturday afternoon was just hugely enjoyable from start to finish I was literally smiling a lot of the way through it. 

I loved the costumes ....although that third Act is always a bit strange as if you've suddenly gone off into some dream sequence with the set  of dances there ....all beautifully danced....Yuhui Choe as Dawn ....projected a lovely soft presence and Romany Padjak as Prayer also had a lovely quality to her movements and the Dance of the Hours ....some very familiar choreography there for me! 

Maybe because it is so familiar for me ...I'm not sure but the music carries the ballet along so well... not a single dull note so much to enjoy.

i was just wondering whether if the younger children at White Lodge could be more used in this ( as didn't get their Nutcracker chance) by allowing them to play the dolls inside the house ...not the Coppelia doll of course ....but there's nothing too tricky here that the younger kids couldn't do I feel....and perhaps a couple of scuttling mice to frighten the Friends as they creep in....anyway just a thought.

So it's probably going to be ages before this comes around again ....but could also be a Spring ballet not necessarily always at Christmas but do hope it's only a couple of years and not yonks before we see it again. 

What a lovely afternoon. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

You might be amused to learn that exactly this point was made to the (then) Chair of ENB, at the time Caesar Corrales was still in that company. No idea what was done by way of response.

I may be missing something here but how is anyone supposed to do anything in response to a dancer having great stage presence? Isn't it usually just something that people either have or don't?

1 hour ago, annamk said:

I regret not catching Kaneko as Aurora although the performances of Choe and Calvert had a lovely quality but I did not enjoy  Hinkis performance - I can't find any poetry in her dancing.  Most of the Prayer performances I saw were danced by Pajdak and she did have a few wobbles as someone pointed out earlier, nonetheless she has a quality that captures the spirit of prayer and her port de bras is a thing of beauty. 

Kaneko did Aurora yesterday evening & I thought she was excellent, as were the other 3 I've seen, Magri, Calvert & O'Sullivan. I was happy to miss Hinkis, after being rather unimpressed at ending up seeing her Dorabella 3 times when I wasn't too keen on it the first time. It's interesting that, as far as I know, all the Auroras apart from Hinkis have been First Soloists whereas more of the Prayers have been Soloists or First Artists, given the Prayer solo looks to be more difficult than the Aurora one, with those exposed slow balances. Even Mendizabel last night, the only First Soloist I saw in the role, wobbled on the last one.

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

She also recently guested with BRB in The Dream pas de deux partnering Brendan Lewis.

Who's Brendan Lewis?

I've liked Whitehead's Coppelius a lot - possibly the fact that I've seen him towards the end of the run, when the dancers are getting embedded better in the production, may have something to do with that.

10 minutes ago, alison said:

Who's Brendan Lewis?

I've liked Whitehead's Coppelius a lot - possibly the fact that I've seen him towards the end of the run, when the dancers are getting embedded better in the production, may have something to do with that.

Whitehead didn't actually have his debut until the 30th December, over a month after the opening night of Coppelia. But I've really liked him. By contrast last night, Avis was, for me, overdoing things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Given the rather limited repertory that Melissa Hamilton has been given this season, I imagine that she probably has reached some kind of agreement about guesting -she seems to be a fairly regular partner for Bolle. She also recently guested with BRB in The Dream pas de deux partnering Brendan Lewis. I hope we haven’t seen the last of her appearing in a major role at RB.

I think you mean Brandon Lawrence...

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

By contrast last night, Avis was, for me, overdoing things.

Did you think Avis was caricaturing it more last night compared to the cinecast? I felt he was but it's difficult to remember the cinecast in detail with having seen other performances in between.