RIP Jonathan Miller

RuthE

Oh no it’s a sad day today. Now to lose Jonathon Miller as well. What a huge figure he was and a very interesting man. He has had a long life but nevertheless its very sad too. 
He will be very much missed condolences to family and friends. 

• Like 1

I had the GREAT privilege of working with Jonathan.  I've always considered him the last of the really great Renaissance Men of the arts.  I very much doubt I will see his like again.  I was so lucky to have been able to profit from his genius.  A total inspiration.  No question.  This is one extraordinary soul who TRULY deserves to RIP.  I have every confidence he will do so with a broad grin and with a feast of original invention still whirring about somewhere in his midst.    

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

I enjoyed several of his productions, including his imaginative and moving Mass in B minor, but I was especially interested in his comments, at an ENO event, that setting a play/opera in the period in which it was written made sense. Seeing some of the more recent productions with their insistence on 'relevance' makes me remember his sane and sensible comments. What a sad end for someone with such a brilliant mind.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

I enjoyed several of his productions, including his imaginative and moving Mass in B minor, but I was especially interested in his comments, at an ENO event, that setting a play/opera in the period in which it was written made sense. Seeing some of the more recent productions with their insistence on 'relevance' makes me remember his sane and sensible comments. What a sad end for someone with such a brilliant mind.

I would be interested to know what his exact words were, given that many of his most popular productions (Rigoletto, The Mikado for example) are updated to other periods!

9 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

No way can I remember the actual words considering it must have been over 30 years ago. But it was when he produced Otello for ENO, which had a late 19th century setting. Obviously he didn't always stick to it as his Merchant of Venice and Hamlet  at the Donmar showed. But that's what,the man said!

• Like 1

In the early 1970s I had a part time job at the Arts Theatre in Cambridge as an usher(ette).  Jonathan Miller was directing a student production of Aristophanes "The Birds".  During the play he would sometimes come to sit beside me at the back of the stalls to make notes on the production, and would ask me to shine my torch onto his notepad so he could see to write.  He was so kind, he really made me feel I was doing him a great favour, and he was most solicitous that my arm wasn't beginning to ache!  

• Like 3