RBS Spring intensive 2020

Bunny

Lara, one year my DD has a yes for Spring & Wait List for Summer with same photos...

One other thought about current WL kids attending (& being - I’ve been told on good authority made to feel they must apply...) maybe it’s a bit of a loyalty test? Or even they don’t want them going elsewhere with the rush of other internationally acclaimed institutions offering them opportunities? 

Must happen as enough overseas kids seem to get offers at International intensives & competitions attended by senior RBS staff (are they teaching? Judging? Are their trips/time paid for by overseas courses or paid for by RBS? Scouting for talent??) to come either full time or as a temp International Scholar... always with the chance they could get offered a full time place. The cache of RBS is global but it must be galling for any other top notch institution of they feel their best dancers get ‘poached’... 

just a thought....

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This is not a personal go at Valentina or anyone else.... more the ‘decidions At the top’.  

No offense to you or your clearly very talented & deserving daughter... but offering summer places to ones who hadn’t even applied does make a mockery of a Wait List & all the £36 shelled out by so many people in the hope of living the ‘Royal Dream’....

The other irritating thing is how many places are offered at current WL pupils (they are actively encouraged to apply) & to WL finalists - esp it seems to those that will luckily be joining WL in the Sept across the age groups. I guess to ‘get a taste in advance’ But really I do think intensives sim should be more as a broadened reach so more can benefit from Royal system of training..... otherwise they might as well just make their terms 1 or 2 weeks longer!! 

I couldn’t agree more Peanut 68. Although she felt blessed that particular year, it came after 2 years of wait list and a heap of intense hard work so I hope that gives those of you on waitlist some hope. RBS, rightly or wrongly use the intensives as a  sort of pre- audition. Same with most of the big schools such as Elmhurst,

SAB, Princess Grace, Paris Opera.

21 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

This is not a personal go at Valentina or anyone else.... more the ‘decidions At the top’.  

No offense to you or your clearly very talented & deserving daughter... but offering summer places to ones who hadn’t even applied does make a mockery of a Wait List & all the £36 shelled out by so many people in the hope of living the ‘Royal Dream’....

The other irritating thing is how many places are offered at current WL pupils (they are actively encouraged to apply) & to WL finalists - esp it seems to those that will luckily be joining WL in the Sept across the age groups. I guess to ‘get a taste in advance’ But really I do think intensives sim should be more as a broadened reach so more can benefit from Royal system of training..... otherwise they might as well just make their terms 1 or 2 weeks longer!! 

I agree totally with everything said above except to add a note that my dd found the SI at WL very different from full time training at WL in terms of atmosphere / teachers etc.... obviously they are physically in the same place as their school but apart from that it’s a completely diff and wonderful experience . ...

My DD lovedvthe SI she did at WL too.... but think there was a tinge of low self esteem that ‘not good enough’ / ‘not skinny enough’ which was a little bit reinforced by those saying they were at/going there etc. It is a tricky area as anyone who has achieved this should be able to shout it from the rooftops & quite rightly be applauded for & enjoy their success but just occasionally a little bit of tactful regard for others feelings wouldn’t go amiss! But, as I say to DC’s, it’s a tough world out there & the sooner they learn to take words like bullets off a chieften tank the better & it’s the long game that matters!

As I said, we got to live the Royal dream for that one week that one time & will be ever grateful that we ‘ticked that box’ - I wish that as many as possible can get that opportunity also so good luck to all awaiting results from this years applications! 🤞🏻

• Like 1

Late to the party but DD got her expected no for the spring intensive - we haven’t applied before as after years of no’s for JAs and MAs we weren’t feeling the RBS love 😆.

I was glad to see that they have started to write the ‘no’ emails with warmer and more encouraging language - so more chance of getting my £36 next year too ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Sorry to hear. Did you apply for summer as well?

No as I know that it’s even harder to get a summer place. DD was absolutely fine about it - it’s a bit of a running joke in our house that’s she’s blacklisted by RBS!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, margarite said:

Late to the party but DD got her expected no for the spring intensive - we haven’t applied before as after years of no’s for JAs and MAs we weren’t feeling the RBS love 😆.

I was glad to see that they have started to write the ‘no’ emails with warmer and more encouraging language - so more chance of getting my £36 next year too ...

We are with you 😂. M is even doing the SA audition in Feb just for fun 😂😂

• Like 2

Be careful what you wish for!

If acceptance is based only on how someone looks then you will have a very mixed bag of talent at the Intensive.

Also,some programs are committed to taking everyone 'back to the basics' rather than challenging them with new or advanced skills.  You may prefer your home school to teach the fundamentals and use intensives for a different perspective.  

It can be traumatising for a parent to pay for course fees, travel and accommodation etc and then watch their dancer doing the chicken dance at the end-of-course performance 😂

Edited by DD Driver

Just to say that - while students who attend will have a great time, it can be extremely expensive.  Especially for international students going to London or HK. 

Our feeling is that you get more bang for your buck when 13 years and older.

Edited by DD Driver

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

I am worried Spring Intensive will be cancelled due to Covid19. DS would be devastated. If there are students coming from abroad though there might be cancellations @Ballerina’sMom.

Not aware that they will cancel but RBS will not be allowed to accept into WL those who have travelled from any of the countries on the Government list.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, junedancer said:

Not aware that they will cancel but RBS will not be allowed to accept into WL those who have travelled from any of the countries on the Government list.  

As RBS is residential they will have to abide by the rules associated with boarding schools.  My nephew is having a friend from Asia stay at Easter as if he goes home he will not be allowed back to sit GCSEs.

ENB Easter Course have written to say that any students who live in or have visited the listed countries are asked not to attend.

8 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

As RBS is residential they will have to abide by the rules associated with boarding schools.  My nephew is having a friend from Asia stay at Easter as if he goes home he will not be allowed back to sit GCSEs.

To be accurate you can go back into a boarding school but after 14 days of self isolation.  The situation may also change in the next four weeks.

On 05/03/2020 at 21:42, junedancer said:

Sorry, I need to take back my optimism! 

Artistic director - yes we have just received an email as parent of full time student which confirms one of the measures they are taking to prevent the spread of virus in which he states that 

‘’We will take the following precautions until the Easter Holidays during which we will consider what we will do for the beginning of the Summer term should Covid-19 still present a problem.
1. Limit access to our buildings to all but essential staff. This will include:
(a) No audiences at internal school events
(b) Limited and checked visits
(c) The cancelling of Associate classes at Upper school
(d) We will be postponing the 3rd Year Academic Graduation Ceremony
(e) Limiting parent and guardian access.
(f) Isolating anyone who we suspect might have come into contact with Covid-19.’

Imho all sensible precautions . 

15 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Artistic director - yes we have just received an email as parent of full time student which confirms one of the measures they are taking to prevent the spread of virus in which he states that 

‘’We will take the following precautions until the Easter Holidays during which we will consider what we will do for the beginning of the Summer term should Covid-19 still present a problem.
1. Limit access to our buildings to all but essential staff. This will include:
(a) No audiences at internal school events
(b) Limited and checked visits
(c) The cancelling of Associate classes at Upper school
(d) We will be postponing the 3rd Year Academic Graduation Ceremony
(e) Limiting parent and guardian access.
(f) Isolating anyone who we suspect might have come into contact with Covid-19.’

Imho all sensible precautions . 

Many thanks for the info @Katniss! I haven’t received the email yet as a London JA year 5. DS was also looking forward to a rehearsal  for the summer fête on the 16th of April. Preparing for more bad news 😢 now. Thanks again

1 hour ago, Lara Eschler said:

Many thanks for the info @Katniss! I haven’t received the email yet as a London JA year 5. DS was also looking forward to a rehearsal  for the summer fête on the 16th of April. Preparing for more bad news 😢 now. Thanks again

We’ve just had ours about the JA class at the end of the month being cancelled. I was sort of expecting this but it’s come sooner than I thought it would. :( 

I’ve emailed back to ask (but I doubt they know at the moment as they’ll be assessing the situation daily) but I’m assuming Chance To Dance will be the same. And then probably the Summer Fair. 😢 

Disappointing but understandable. 

Edited by BalletBoyMumma

2 hours ago, Lara Eschler said:

@junedancer I had hoped that They would just exclude people who have travelled from High risk areas or ask them to self isolate. I think they made the right decision but we were so looking forward to it 😭😭😭😭

Did they not ask those attending to respond with regards to travel plans?  They will have made this decision off the back of this and other advice. Other Easter intensives may now follow their example.