RBS Spring intensive 2020

Bunny

Hi everybody,

Just wondered if anybody else has applied for the Spring intensive at WL for next year? The email I got back for my DS said results would be emailed week ending 23/11/19 so I’m wondering if that means we should hear back by the end of the week? Anybody else waiting to hear? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Wimdancer said:

I haven’t heard yet either..

Did your email say the same as mine, that we’d hear by the end of the week? I’ve had a quick google and seems it’s earlier than it has been previous years? Which is fab but just wondering if I’ve missed something and we might actually hear later x

Hello, it's our first time apply for RBS spring intensive, and my DD is waitlisted.

I have two questions.

1.We applied spring and summer intensive at the same time. Are there any possibility  to get a yes for summer even if waitlisted in spring?

2. Are all people who are not yes waitlisted? 

Regards, 

8 hours ago, Mii said:

Hello, it's our first time apply for RBS spring intensive, and my DD is waitlisted.

I have two questions.

1.We applied spring and summer intensive at the same time. Are there any possibility  to get a yes for summer even if waitlisted in spring?

Regards, 

Technically,It would still be possible to get a ‘yes’ for Summer programme but with a large proportion of students coming from abroad it would be unusual. There are usually only approx 4 British students in each class of 28 at summer school. Easter course does not appeal so much to international student due to dates of school terms and the Easter festival itself.

There are 3 possible results I think - no, not this time, waitlist, and yes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mii said:

I have two questions.

Regards, 

In answer to question 2 DD got a straight no.

Edited by MAK

Waiting list for my DD too. We weren’t expecting a yes, and have another 3 day intensive booked for Easter, so still something to look forward to. I’m guessing not many people get offered a place on the Easter/summer schools from the waiting list so we will carry on with our plans as if it were a no. 

Well done to those who got a yes! Xx 

Does anyone know if anyone ever gets called off the waiting list for the Spring intensive in London? If so, how late were you notified? Also, I know summer has select and regular waiting list - is spring just one waiting list or more than one?

Edited by Ballerina'sMom

Ha ha - the Q of just how many wait lists & is one superior to the other rises again!!!

in all honesty I think there is just one wait list & if a door frees up they will match the best fit candidate.... ie if a 20 year old boy cancels then most likely a 10 year old boy will get the spot, or a 14 year old girl at Inter level will be replaced by similar girl...

eveyibe gets hung up on wording... it could simply be down to who drafted which emails.... we’ve in past had straight no, straight yes (!!) & countless wait lists with different wording on each (Select Wait List/Directors Wait List....but never got a place off any of these waitlists!) I have in past heard of one boy getting spot off waitlist & one girl I think (possibly same age as my DC so perhaps there is then an order in talent??) 

But best to not get too hung up on it all... if you get a place, great. If not, well there are an awful lot of other opportunities out there! Compare & contrast what it is your DC wants/needs & what you can afford as a family too!

Good luck! 

• Like 1

A few years back I was told by one of the course administrators that they review the waitlisted DC before offering places out and as @Peanut68 says they fill the places of those who decline or pull out with DC from the same age group.  I have not heard of a place from a Spring waitlist but this is a relatively new course.  DD's friend was offered a place from waitlist for a Summer school around May one year.  I understand that when they get closer to the date they don't offer places when people drop out.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses, junedancer and Peanut68. I assumed already that it's one waiting list and was really just trying to see if anyone had a child pulled from a spring intensive waiting list who got a spot and if so, when they were notified. I  appreciate the insight from your discussion with the course administrators, junedancer.

One thing to add is that those offered places have about five weeks from the time of an offer to pay the fees.  This is a time that a few may drop out due to the overall cost when they factor in travel and overnights/stays in London.  Others may drop out due to injury or other commitments over the coming months so there is always the chance of a place.  However the waitlists don't appear to be very short.  DD personally knew of at least 10 in her age group with a waitlist for last summer. 

• Like 1

My DD also got a place on the waiting list for Easter, and we are one of those families that applied for both Easter and Summer at the same time.  She's pleased to, at the very least, be in with a chance of possible selection if space arises, but knows not to hold out any hope.  We too will make plans as though it were an outright no, just in case.

Well done to all of those with a yes or a waiting list place, and sorry for the ‘not yets’. 

Has anybody’s DD/DS ever been offered a place on both the spring and summer intensive? We applied for both and I assumed if succesful my DS would only be offered one of the two, it hadn’t occurred to me that you could be offered a place on both? Does anybody know if this is possible?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bunny said:

Well done to all of those with a yes or a waiting list place, and sorry for the ‘not yets’. 

Has anybody’s DD/DS ever been offered a place on both the spring and summer intensive? We applied for both and I assumed if succesful my DS would only be offered one of the two, it hadn’t occurred to me that you could be offered a place on both? Does anybody know if this is possible?

My Dd was offered a place at summer intensive after attending the Easter course. We hadn’t applied to do both.

This is not a personal go at Valentina or anyone else.... more the ‘decidions At the top’.  

No offense to you or your clearly very talented & deserving daughter... but offering summer places to ones who hadn’t even applied does make a mockery of a Wait List & all the £36 shelled out by so many people in the hope of living the ‘Royal Dream’....

The other irritating thing is how many places are offered at current WL pupils (they are actively encouraged to apply) & to WL finalists - esp it seems to those that will luckily be joining WL in the Sept across the age groups. I guess to ‘get a taste in advance’ But really I do think intensives sim should be more as a broadened reach so more can benefit from Royal system of training..... otherwise they might as well just make their terms 1 or 2 weeks longer!! 

• Like 6

I can understand why RBS associates might be encouraged to apply but not full-time students unless perhaps they feel they need additional work over the summer.  I recall the year the Easter course started there were those who applied for both and had places on both, those who applied for both and had a yes for one and a wait list for the other.  We didn't personally know of anyone with a yes and a no or a waitlist of a no but suppose that may happen.  Not sure if they did it this year but you could prioritise one over the other - not sure how much that mattered as one of DD's friends prioritised summer and had an offer of both and another prioritised Easter and had an Easter offer and a Summer waitlist, with an eventual place.  Unfortunately, with the numbers who apply there must be an element of luck as I am sure there are hundreds of lovely dancers who just never get an offer or even a waitlist.