Jewels, Vienna Staatsballett, November 2019

I was lucky enough to see this new production at the Vienna Staatsoper and just want to report a quick early impression. The cast was from Russia and former Soviet territories, apart from our own Fiona McGee (who joined the company from the Royal Ballet School in 2017), a couple of Japanese dancers (Hashimoto, Kimoto) and one Australian, Navrin Turnbull.

The company did well but the performance was only the third time ever for them, so perhaps uncertainties were inevitable. I wondered about the coaching / casting / rehearsal time, as there seemed to be a certain deficit compared to the supremely idiomatic performances achieved by the Royal Ballet in 2017. The coaching for RB in 2017 was by Patricia Neary and  Elyse Borne (there may have been others involved but this were the two we met at the Insight evening) whereas the Vienna programme listed Ben Huys (Emeralds) and Judith Fugate (Diamonds) - who both danced the work for NYCB in the 1990s - and Nanette Glashak (Rubies), who represents the Trust. 

In any case, a gorgeous occasion which can only grow with the confidence of more performances.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Geoff said:

I was lucky enough to see this new production at the Vienna Staatsoper and just want to report a quick early impression. The cast was from Russia and former Soviet territories, apart from our own Fiona McGee (who joined the company from the Royal Ballet School in 2017), a couple of Japanese dancers (Hashimoto, Kimoto) and one Australian, Navrin Turnbull.

The company did well but the performance was only the third time ever for them, so perhaps uncertainties were inevitable. I wondered about the coaching / casting / rehearsal time, as there seemed to be a certain deficit compared to the supremely idiomatic performances achieved by the Royal Ballet in 2017. The coaching for RB in 2017 was by Patricia Neary and  Elyse Borne (there may have been others involved but this were the two we met at the Insight evening) whereas the Vienna programme listed Ben Huys (Emeralds) and Judith Fugate (Diamonds) - who both danced the work for NYCB in the 1990s - and Nanette Glashak (Rubies), who represents the Trust. 

Just so there is no confusion, I am referring here only to the members of the cast I saw who were listed on the biographical sheet issued on the day by the company (the sheet said that Fiona McGee came from the Royal Ballet School and joined the company in 2017, although I now understand she may have had other steps on that journey). 

It would be great to learn more about other casts and the Vienna company in general but my post is mainly an enquiry aimed at those who understand how the Balanchine Trust works and how that might impact on performance.