Acosta Danza Evolution

I had hoped for there to be a performance thread about the UK tour of Acosta Danza. Now nearly at the end of the tour, and with just  two reviews from Edinburgh in the Dance Links. I thought I’d post my appreciation.

On a wet and windy afternoon in Birmingham last week, I spent two enjoyable hours immersed in a programme that exceeded expectations in the way it challenged, entertained and drew my admiration for this troupe of talented dancers. The opening piece, Satori, choreographed by Raul Reinoso, who is a dancer with the company, is a journey towards spiritual illumination. The score is a mixture of electronic and acoustic sounds that enveloped the auditorium ,while the billowing fabric that initially encased the dancers was gradually shed to reveal a raw, exposed ’essence ’ reflected in the wonderful physicality of the dancing of Zeleidy Crespo. The second piece, Paysage, Soudain, La Nuit  is a celebration of a youthful Cuba - life enhancing and care-free. The dancers move to and fro amongst the grassy landscape in harmony with their surroundings and each other. Faun is an interpretation by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui of ‘L’ Apres-midi’, originally commissioned as part of the centenary celebration, In the Spirit of Diaghilev, at Sadler Wells with a score that fuses Debussy with experimental music from Nitin Sawhney The pas de deux becomes increasingly intricate as the dancers begin to interact and gradually become  enmeshed, mesmerising in their fluidity and sensuality. The performance finished in style with Christopher Bruce’s crowd pleaser, Rooster, and a much anticipated appearance from Carlos Acosta strutting his stuff as the red rooster. Altogether a stimulating afternoon, much appreciated by the vocal Birmingham audience, who already regard Carlos as one of their own in anticipation of his taking up his appointment in the New Year. Acosta Danza is wonderful company -there’s a clear unity of purpose that shines through in their approach. This latest programme is bold and reflects the versatility and capabilities of the dancers. 

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I had hoped for there to be a performance thread about the UK tour of Acosta Danza. Now nearly at the end of the tour, and with just  two reviews from Edinburgh in the Dance Links. I thought I’d post my appreciation.

On a wet and windy afternoon in Birmingham last week, I spent two enjoyable hours immersed in a programme that exceeded expectations in the way it challenged, entertained and drew my admiration for this troupe of talented dancers. The opening piece, Satori, choreographed by Raul Reinoso, who is a dancer with the company, is a journey towards spiritual illumination. The score is a mixture of electronic and acoustic sounds that enveloped the auditorium ,while the billowing fabric that initially encased the dancers was gradually shed to reveal a raw, exposed ’essence ’ reflected in the wonderful physicality of the dancing of Zeleidy Crespo. The second piece, Paysage, Soudain, La Nuit  is a celebration of a youthful Cuba - life enhancing and care-free. The dancers move to and fro amongst the grassy landscape in harmony with their surroundings and each other. Faun is an interpretation by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui of ‘L’ Apres-midi’, originally commissioned as part of the centenary celebration, In the Spirit of Diaghilev, at Sadler Wells with a score that fuses Debussy with experimental music from Nitin Sawhney The pas de deux becomes increasingly intricate as the dancers begin to interact and gradually become  enmeshed, mesmerising in their fluidity and sensuality. The performance finished in style with Christopher Bruce’s crowd pleaser, Rooster, and a much anticipated appearance from Carlos Acosta strutting his stuff as the red rooster. Altogether a stimulating afternoon, much appreciated by the vocal Birmingham audience, who already regard Carlos as one of their own in anticipation of his taking up his appointment in the New Year. Acosta Danza is wonderful company -there’s a clear unity of purpose that shines through in their approach. This latest programme is bold and reflects the versatility and capabilities of the dancers. 

I am looking forward to seeing them even more this week after this review. Thank you. 

• Like 1

Yesterday was a dance fest for us as a last minute booking to see  Akane Takada in Sleeping Beauty at the ROH in the evening followed the long-planned Acosta Danza Evolution Matinee at Sadlers Wells.

The Acosta Danza Company are amazingly skillful, but we thought Evolution  overall was just OK and  not  as  enjoyable as as the Acosta Danza Celebration we saw at the Albert Hall last year, which included the lovely Mermaid piece, as well as Carmen and Rooster .

The first three Evolution pieces seemed to be more to do with acrobatics or gymnastics,  and often conducted on the floor,  rather than danced,  and the movements tended to be repetitive, so that the  the works felt over-long. The first piece started with both ladies and gentlemen topless, which didn't seem to have any particular function, other showing  that the stage must have been rather cold - unlike the auditorium which got pretty stuffy. 

The afternoon was saved for us by the wonderful Acosta leading the company through the brilliant Rooster piece with exuberant interpretations of  a selection of  Rolling Stones Tracks - just brilliant ! 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed seeing this vibrant and hugely talented young company on Wednesday evening. I thought ‘Satori’ was convincing- even though it was somewhat oblique in places, it had real power. Zeleidy Crespo was difficult to take my eyes off - she was absolutely dynamic and striking, with some fierce pointe work. ‘Paysage...’ was very different- a dance of joyful abandon, with a gorgeous backdrop of wheat fields. It made me smile. ‘Faun’ was very strong and sensual; Crespo and Carlos Luis Blanco were compelling in this. I adored ‘Rooster’, I have wanted to see it for ages - all the strutting and swaggering was done with such style, and all the dancers looked like they were having fun, including Carlos Acosta! His jumps are still a thing of wonder and beauty, and his charisma is as bright as it ever was - a fantastic end to the evening. Incidentally, the house was pretty full, which was good to see.

• Like 2