Torn satin on pointe shoe

Contretemps

Hi everyone :) My daughter has managed to snag the satin on one of her pointe shoes, which has caused a tear. It's on top of the shoe (so not underneath the box) - I think this happened during a group dance where she had to slide her leg behind her to finish in a kneeling position (apologies - not a very technical description!). I'm wondering if anyone knows how to reduce the damage a little, or stop it from getting any worse? I know the dancers like their pointes to appear very well worn etc, but as this isn't underneath the box it does make this one shoe look rather tatty, and they are actually very new shoes. This group dance will be performed again, so the damage could get worse. I'm thinking maybe hairspray? My daughter suggested clear nail polish, but I was bit concerned that would leave a rather shiny splodgy mess! The tear has resulted in the satin lifting a little around it, so I just want to protect that area a little I suppose. Any advice gratefully appreciated! 

Edited by Contretemps
Edited to correct a typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I seem to think there may be a Matt spray glue available from art shops? Never used it myself though...

Or try very carefully applied (use a cocktail stick) fabric glue between canvas lining & satin - should dry clear also.

Good luck! 

I agree with Peanut - we have used a glue from an art shop to stick on the suede tips and it didn't mark any of the surrounding satin.  Good luck!

• Like 1

You could always go the other extreme and cut the satin off the tips entirely and darn around the edges to stop it fraying. Might be a bit drastic but tends to look nice and neat.

I'm a bit of an advocate for 'just trim it back and ignore it' though... Pointe shoes are scungey, as long as it's trimmed so it's not flapping around on stage, no one will even notice. It might seem like a bigger deal when you look straight at the tear but from 4 rows back the audience won't care at all. I'd be careful with doing anything with the tip of a shoe that might change the feel or make it sticky or slippery. There's a difference between sticking on suede caps and applying glue directly to the dance surface of the shoe, only on one side. If it doesn't feel right to dance on, your daughter could hurt herself and I think that's a far bigger concern than some ratty satin. But if people have used the Hi Tack stuff before without issue, and you think the tear is that bad, I guess go with your gut!

• Like 1

Generally would agree with you Big re: trimming satin away from tip & darning around edge of platform but think in this case the tear in question was to satin on the upper part of the front of box above toes....& prob need to look uniform with other dancers 

Yes.... but mostly now just around the edge of platform... 

wool seems preferred now... gives a kind of solid outline which actually creates a nice definition to end of foot so is as much/more for aesthetic reasons I think.... there was a nice video of Arab dancers prepping their pointe shoes shown at one of the Ballet screenings in interval one time I recall showing this!