Sebastian,

The information about the original costume design for Violente is most interesting as the crowned salamander was the personal emblem of Francis Ist the French king responsible for boosting the French tourist industry by building a number of chateaux in the Loire Valley including Fontainebleau which is probably the chateau most strongly associated with him and seen as epitomising the French architectural and cultural style of the early sixteenth century. The crowned salamander appears all over the place in his chateaux sometimes accompanied by his personal motto "nutrisco et extinguo" which translates as " I nourish and I extinguish." It seems to me that if we are to unravel the symbolism and meaning to be attached to the gifts which the fairies confer on Aurora at her christening we have to know exactly what the original costumes looked like and in particular what symbols, if any, appear on them.I expect that those who first staged the ballet anticipated that the St Petersburg audience was sufficiently culturally knowledgeable and sophisticated to pick up all the allusions and symbolism contained in the designs and in the choice of fairy tale characters who appear as guests at the wedding in the last act. Whatever the precise message Violente's costume design was supposed to convey to its first audiences it is pretty clear that it ties in very neatly with the original set designs for the Prologue which were not painterly but very place and time specific. The new easel painter designs for the second production of the ballet seem, perhaps unwittingly, to have begun the process of concealing the work's original intent.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

That raises an interesting question: I like Magri a lot - and have just booked an extra Coppelia on the back of her excellent recent performances - but I don’t see her as Aurora. As always, though, I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

If I'm honest I think I may agree with you, but her Lilac Fairy was so soft and lovely I think she would be able to pull it off. 

Another example is Hayward - who is one of my favourite dancers, I have to admit I'm not sure if she will suit Swan Lake. I can see her as a very good Odette, but wonder if she can pull off Odile (I simply can't see her as evil!). But I'm very happy she's been given the chance to dance such a big role in ballet, and I think when I see her my concern will be entirely unfounded. 

I guess the old saying is, you don't know until you've tried, and I'm glad O'Hare seems willing to live by that and give his dancers a chance! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JNC said:

Another example is Hayward - who is one of my favourite dancers, I have to admit I'm not sure if she will suit Swan Lake. I can see her as a very good Odette, but wonder if she can pull off Odile (I simply can't see her as evil!).

I don't know, JNC - I think I've seen quite a glint in her eye sometimes!! Could be interesting...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I don't know, JNC - I think I've seen quite a glint in her eye sometimes!! Could be interesting...

Especially with Corrales's dramatic flair! I'm expecting fireworks! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JNC said:

@Xandra Newman

Also to note following Richard's cast list update, Hamilton posted on instagram that last night was her debut as Fairy of the Golden Vine. Not to repeat myself (and others) but really do wish ROH revert to marking this on the cast sheet! No idea if any of the other roles were debuts or not. 

@Richard LH -

I'm struggling to remember a time when they did flag debuts in minor roles (or major ones, come to that) - was it quite recently?

(Also I don't know how to delete tags when quoting  a previous message!)

Edited by Jane S

13 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I'm struggling to remember a time when they did flag debuts in minor roles (or major ones, come to that) - was it quite recently?

(Also I don't know how to delete tags when quoting  a previous message!)

I know what you mean re major vs minor - but if they are a named person on the cast list (and the cast list presumably gets printed at least some time in advance so debuts/roles/casting are generally confirmed in advance) it's no harder/easier to ascertain if someone is debuting - all it takes is a quick note from RB management? As they are important enough roles to get reflected by name on the cast list I think it would be nice if they could be recognised! 

I'm not sure when they did acknowledge this on cast lists, I'm just going off what others have said on the forum here. 

Sorry off topic a bit but reference to above comments ...I think ‘Odile’  may find it difficult not to fall for real with Corrales as the Prince ......now that would complicate things for Von Rothbart 

51 minutes ago, Jane S said:

I think it's a long time since débuts have been marked on cast sheets (and I think it would only ever have been for leading roles). But since they're marked in the booking/casting details, I'm not sure why they couldn't also be marked on the cast sheets. (Perhaps some powers that be think it might be open to misinterpretation, or misinterpret it themselves - i.e. that a début is somehow of less worth than a performance from an experienced interpreter of the role. If so it would simply show their lack of understanding.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, prs59 said:

Another evening of high drama at the ROH! Wishing both Ryo and Akane swift and full recovery from their injuries. As of now it’s anybody’s guess who will take the stage on Friday evening ......🤔

Just posted this in the Autumn casting thread.  Fumi Kaneko will replace Akane Takada on Friday.  Ryoichi Hirano still scheduled to dance.

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/78gj6

Edited by Bluebird

If one clicks the link, Friday is showing as Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. So, on the one hand, one feels so sorry for Akane and Ryoichi but, on the other, absolutely delighted for Fumi and Reece that they have an extra show.........or two.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Just now, capybara said:

If one clicks the link, Friday is showing as Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke. So, on the one hand, one feels so sorry for Akane and Ryoichi but, on the other, absolutely delighted for Fumi and Reece that they have an extra show.........or two.

It must have just been changed.  Ryoichi was still on the list when I checked it around five minutes ago.

I just received the change of cast email confirming Kaneko/Clarke for Friday. Bit sad since that was my only Takada / Hirano SB, but very happy with the replacement (*tries to repress manic smile*)

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

It must have just been changed.  Ryoichi was still on the list when I checked it around five minutes ago.

It’s reverted to Ryo & Akane

earlier it was Reece & Fumi

EB8A2B21-8C3E-4B80-997D-A616C72721A2.png

Goodness all a bit confusing .....but good news regards Akane Takada as it must mean her injury is not too serious.

• Like 1

Yes  - it now says Takada replaces Kaneko and Hirano replaces Clarke. I bet you that it's meant to say it the other way round and in trying to clarify they've got it wrong...

• Like 2

My friend who was there last night with a good view has suggested to me that she noticed something ( that I don't think I should mention here in fairness to Takada) but which indicates that she  may have been unwell rather than injured last night. 

Certainly there was no noticeable sign that she had an injury or incurred one while she was performing but that doesn't mean she wasn't of course .....dancers can be very good at hiding an injury they may be nursing. 

Ha ha Bridiem having literally just been on the phone to above mentioned friend that's what we thought might have happened if Takada had in fact incurred an injury as unlikely would be better by Friday!! 

• Like 1

It's obvious that they haven't read what they've written on the ROH website. Typical! IT'S DEFINITELY KANEKO AND CLARKE ON FRIDAY.

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

It's obvious that they haven't read what they've written on the ROH website. Typical! IT'S DEFINITELY KANEKO AND CLARKE ON FRIDAY.

Take your pick......

Alexander Campbell has tweeted a curtain call photo of himself and Naghdi and writes:

'A quite unbelievable night last night that was only possible thanks to amazing team work and understanding from all @RoyalOperaHouse and @TheRoyalBallet . Sending lots of love and healing thoughts to everyone and huge thanks for all the wonderful support we received. #ROHbeauty'

• Like 2

Yes my friend said you would have never guessed that Campbell and Naghdi had not danced together before ( or certainly not in Beauty) they pulled it off brilliantly! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes  - it now says Takada replaces Kaneko and Hirano replaces Clarke. I bet you that it's meant to say it the other way round and in trying to clarify they've got it wrong...

All looks very odd...I too wondered if it’s a mistake? 

But on the website it clearly states Takada replacing Kaneko etc...

And nothing updated here...https://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-cast-changes-autumn-19-20

I hope it’s clarified soon. I’m guess people who received an email to say it would be Kaneko/Clarke haven’t received another one reverting it back to Takada/Hirano?

Guess what it now says?! Takada is replacing - Takada, and Hirano is replacing - Hirano. Beyond hilarious.

I hope/suspect that it's en route to being correct. Quite a journey.

• Like 4