8 hours ago, stucha said:

@Lizbie1  I would love to see his designs for Mayerling. 

From what I've seen of them in pictures, I wouldn't mind their replacing the RB's Georgiadis designs (yes, I know this is heresy).

Edited by Lizbie1
Clarifying
  • Like 1

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

From what I've seen of them in pictures, I wouldn't mind their replacing the RB's Georgiadis designs (yes, I know this is heresy).

I saw the production live in Stuttgart last summer and much MUCH preferred the Rose designs to the Georgiadis ones. For one thing, they helped distinguish between all those damn women.

• Like 4

We'll keep that idea for the contemporary version...

With Rose, each has her own colour throughout the ballet - Sissi dresses in a dark, crimson red, Larisch in green, Stephanie in white, her sister in yellow, Rudolf's sister in a light blue. Mary has the famous "Rose red", a bright coral-red. Always set against the colours black, grey and white. Not a single wisp of brown, beige or gold in the whole ballet, only in the tavern. Even the medals are silver. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2020 at 05:50, stucha said:

Thanks @jeanette.

The Vsevolovsky designs are the least interesting part of that particular Mariinsky production for me.  The sets and costumes for ABT's version are much more interesting but suffer from having to be made for touring.

@stucha The Mariinsky’s Imperial-Era SB designs also toured, quite extensively. They were on a plane to New York within two months of the April 1999 St Petersburg premiere, then to London a year later, to Paris and DC. Sorry, I cut no slack to ABT for the cheap look of its designs...for touring. 

Only the Mariinsky’s rolling Panorama portion of the set could not tour (that I recall).

The sheer luxury of Vsevolozhsky’s multilayered Apotheosis, with the garlands lowering from the ceiling, alone are worth the price of admission. I still get chills thinking about that! However, that version is flawed for keeping too many USSR-era dances; Ratmansky was much more faithful to Petipa’s steps and overall style.

• Like 1

@Dawnstar. Here's a chance to compare the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with the old Mariinsky version from 1952.  Live streamed recently on their Youtube channel with Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov, Kristina Shapran as the Lilac Fairy and Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.

I'm not sure how long it will be available for viewing.

• Like 2

@jeanette  I know where you're coming from but I'm just not a fan of recreating original sets and costumes.  I felt the same about the La Scala Raymonda.

But what I didn't realise was that the Vikharev version of Sleeping Beauty has a rolling pamorama. How wonderful.

Macmillan's 1973 Royal Ballet production had a rolling panorama too which impressed me greatly at the time I recall. I thought it was the most marvellous thing I'd ever seen on stage.

That production didn't last long however. Peter Farmer's sets and costumes were greatly disliked but I'm not sure whether that was the reason it was replaced.

Edited by stucha

13 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Only the Mariinsky’s rolling Panorama portion of the set could not tour (that I recall).

They brought it to Festspielhaus Baden-Baden in 2000, I saw it there. Very beautiful. The Festspielhaus is a very large theatre, maybe they need the space for the Panorama.

7 hours ago, stucha said:

@Dawnstar. Here's a chance to compare the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with the old Mariinsky version from 1952.  Live streamed recently on their Youtube channel with Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov, Kristina Shapran as the Lilac Fairy and Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.

I'm not sure how long it will be available for viewing.

24 hours .... from original broadcast.  So you’ve got until 5pm 🇬🇧 to see it. 

Worth watching (or skipping through) to see Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.  

Edited by FionaE
Add
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stucha said:

Here’s a chance to compare the Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with the old Mariinsky version from 1952.  Live streamed recently on their Youtube channel with Alina Somova, Vladimir Shklyarov, Kristina Shapran as the Lilac Fairy and Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.

Many thanks Stucha, I would have missed this otherwise. Just to add that the production goes back to 1952 but the recording is (I think, corrections welcome) from 2015.

• Like 1

@stucha The Mariinsky Sleeping Beauty (K. Sergeev ver.) with Somova and Schklyarov is actually available as a commercial DVD through a Japanese site, as are many other of the Mariinsky’s MezzoLiveHD telecasts. I’ll add link if I can find but I’m pretty sure that I bought this through an Amazon site 3-4 years ago. Of course, it’s also great to have “free” streaming options.

• Like 1

Can anyone knowledgeable about ballet steps help with the following please? 

What is this movement called,  that the Corps use a lot in this sequence starting below,  where they hop forward on one leg whilst the other leg bends in and out at the knee? 

It is a common motif in classical ballet and I always enjoy seeing it!

Also, what is it called when, instead,  they hop from one leg to the other, going forward, which is also part of this section of dance? 

Edited by Richard LH

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

24 hours .... from original broadcast.  So you’ve got until 5pm 🇬🇧 to see it. 

Worth watching (or skipping through) to see Oxana Skorik as Princess Florine.  

Well, that's 2 1/2 hours overtime I now need to put in this evening :)

14 hours ago, stucha said:

Thank you. I've just watched it. Yet more differences! I was particularly surprised that there were no fish dives in the Grand Pas, that being one of the few things that the RB, Stuttgart & La Scala all did have in common.

Does anyone know the fairytale represented by 7 small boys, an annoyed man & a large pair of boots? I couldn't place it.

Is it just the camera angle or is Alina Somva's supporting leg at a strange angle in the Rose Adage? It looks like she has her thigh further forward than her knee, which I didn't think was anatomically possible!

SB Marinsky 5 (3).jpg

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is it just the camera angle or is Alina Somva's supporting leg at a strange angle in the Rose Adage? It looks like she has her thigh further forward than her knee, which I didn't think was anatomically possible

I believe Somova is known for her hyperextension (which is what this is). It's, um, not universally admired.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I believe Somova is known for her hyperextension (which is what this is). It's, um, not universally admired.

Yes ‘swaybacks‘.  It is very difficult to achieve the balances with these.  I couldn’t watch that bit.

• Like 1

Nor could I.

Dawnstar, the fish dives aren't authentic - if you have a search on "fish dives" on here you'll probably find more details ...

I think the other fairytale is Hop o' my Thumb - not quite sure what it entailed (an ogre and 7-league boots, perhaps?), but I was most disappointed to see it, because I'd been hoping for the Cinderella segment, which I so rarely get to see.  The fact that she'd had a "cameo" role earlier had left me hopeful :( 

Isn't it funny how different the Prologue Fairy variations look?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

It looks rather painful to me! I hope it's not too common among dancers. I can't recall noticing any of the RB dancers having their legs at that angle.

Just now, Dawnstar said:

It looks rather painful to me! I hope it's not too common among dancers. I can't recall noticing any of the RB dancers having their legs at that angle.

I think that Somova is a fairly extreme case.

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the tendency is not uncommon in dancers, but the more traditional school of thought is that it's something to be remedied.

• Like 3

As the earlier link to the Mariinsky production has expired, I found the following further example of the steps from Act 2 that I am  trying to identify, this time from the Australian Ballet Company.

(i.e. hopping forward on one leg whilst the other leg bends in and out at the knee, and hopping from one leg to the other, going forward)

Perhaps we should have "ballet steps quiz of the day"..... a virtual "Bravo" to the winner.  Come on folks !

20 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the tendency is not uncommon in dancers, but the more traditional school of thought is that it's something to be remedied.

Definitely considered a fault in my day. 

On 07/04/2020 at 07:36, Richard LH said:

As the earlier link to the Mariinsky production has expired, I found the following further example of the steps from Act 2 that I am  trying to identify, this time from the Australian Ballet Company.

(i.e. hopping forward on one leg whilst the other leg bends in and out at the knee, and hopping from one leg to the other, going forward)

Perhaps we should have "ballet steps quiz of the day"..... a virtual "Bravo" to the winner.  Come on folks !

balloné 

and hops in attitude devant 

Edited by FionaE
Typo (French)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2020 at 20:18, alison said:

I think the other fairytale is Hop o' my Thumb - not quite sure what it entailed (an ogre and 7-league boots, perhaps?), but I was most disappointed to see it, because I'd been hoping for the Cinderella segment, which I so rarely get to see.  The fact that she'd had a "cameo" role earlier had left me hopeful :( 

The Rome Opera Ballet Sleeping Beauty shared by WoodlandGladeFairy on a separate thread has the Cinderella segment I've just discovered. First time I've seen it anywhere! Also the Lilac Fairy variation is in Act 3.

• 2 months later...